It's 2019. It's time for a web app šŸ˜”

Iā€™ve tried several times to spend all my salary from Revolut (after topping it up from my main bank). Not having a web-app was the only reason I did not. I cannot use my phone all times and sometimes I spend hours on end at a desktop.

It would be necessary, not just normal, to have an web app if you advertise yourself as a banking disrupting service.

For the moment, ING makes me happier than Revolut. sadly.

5 Likes

I think that there should definitely be a web app for revolut. I would be much more comfortable using it on my laptop.

9 Likes

And this is where youā€™re not getting it. Every bank has had a website since the 90s, nowadays this is everything except ā€œdisruptiveā€. I totally agree that an emergency page should be there to manage security settings and contact support.

But things like ā€œI cannot use my phone all timesā€ or ā€œI need to do a bunch of transactionsā€ just have nothing to do with todayā€™s life. Because: Yes, you can use your phone all the time! And no, you never need to do a bunch of transactions! Because thereā€™s no such thing anymore in a modern world.

Do we really need have everything revolve around the argument of ā€œdisruptionā€?
Iā€™m all for innovation, but not having certain features for the sake of being disruptive? Thatā€™s just dumb.

I live in the modern world, yet I sometimes have to do a bunch of transfers and while I probably could use my phone at most times, I would prefer to do it on my computer, simply because itā€™s more comfortable and efficient. Revolut apparently has a web UI for business costumers so it canā€™t be too hard to provide it for the rest of us as well, right?

5 Likes

Choosing not to waste their money on a useless interface that already exists a million times and instead create a great product is not dumb at all. Also, aligning web and app development usually means that the app quality deteriorates because components will have to be reused to save costs (a full web version would cost millions, donā€™t forget theyā€™d have to support stock trading and everything else as you guys would never stop complaining).

Obviously, business customers make lots of transactions, but if private customers donā€™t know how to use a credit card I donā€™t think Revolut is the right product for them.

If they already have web access for business customers, why not to tweak it and offer for all customers?
I think they will do it later, when start to use bank licence. For me its hard to imagine bank without web access. Even N26 have web access.

4 Likes

Because B2B and B2C are completely different. Different use cases, different user journeys, different UI/UX requirements, different SLAs, a completely different product on every level.

Starling has this for Business accounts now and plans to roll it out to everyone soon too

6 Likes

Starling is more than a travel card and is used for day to day banking, tbf

1 Like

Starling so far UK only. No go for me.

They should be expanding to the rest of Europe soon - when they do that and add USD Iā€™ll be a Starling customer for life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Every bank has had a website since the 90s, nowadays this is everything except ā€œdisruptiveā€.

So this may be called a standard?

You are going down awkward roads with this argument.
Like in order to be disruptive I have to exclusively ignore all existing standards and focus one whatā€™s new to drive down costs?

You are not everybody and your definition of a modern world may differ from the definition others have.

Yes, you can use your phone all the time! And no, you never need to do a bunch of transactions! Because thereā€™s no such thing anymore in a modern world.

There are different kinds of use cases.
Why do you think you can speak for everybody and everything?

2 Likes

I would also very much appreciate to be able to manage my Revolut account from a web browser on laptop/pc. Not only security, but also convenience.

5 Likes

I donā€™t see Revolut as a travel card either though. I use it for my every day banking. My lack of trust is the only reason I don;t move my salary and regular bills over.

Thatā€™s a mistake on your behalf

So you donā€™t use it for your everyday banking then :thinking: you store your salary and bills in another account

So you use Revolut as a spending account with a smaller amount of money in :thinking:

Itā€™s not an ā€œexisting standardā€. Itā€™s something that has to be built and maintained, which will cost millions every year. Millions that can be put into other features. Of course itā€™s just a matter of priority. However, in case of a disruptive company, you usually prioritize new useful features over playing catch up with boring existing services, especially if such services are not the focus of your business. Keep in mind, Revolut earns money from card transactions, not from traditional banking and wire transfers.

I donā€™t. I only explain why Revolut hasnā€™t done it, or have they? As for speaking for everybody, I only speak for people who know how to use credit cards for their purchases. And for those who want Revolut to stay focused on exciting things.

This looks awesome, gona give it a try!

You are voicing YOUR opinions, YOUR preferences and YOUR thoughts. You are not representing a group - you are are just a user like everybody else here.

7 Likes

Payee management being what it is, thereā€™s quite a lot of work to do before a Web app would be useful, I think

1 Like

Sure! On the other hand, everyone else is entitled to declare that ā€œitā€™s time for a web appā€, right? :wink:

Anyway, it should be obvious that it is a matter of opinion how resources should be spent. But this doesnā€™t change any of the facts: Web development is expensive, and paying bills as private customers is a concept of the past (market share continuously declining).