Irish IBAN

hi Mandal,
Would it be possible to check which criteria I do not meet? I received the email from Revolut that my account will be migrated months ago. Still waiting

1 Like

@szarik000, It is a legal requirement for Revolut to give customers a 2 month notice for migration, and you can only be migrated after those two months. If you have received the email more than 2 months ago, I would request you to kindly get in touch with us by chat, so that they can help you individually. :hammer_and_wrench:

Honestly, we are from the community team hence itā€™s not possible for us to share the personal details in this public forum. Thank you for your understanding. :pray:

SG | Community Team

1 Like

When is Revolut going to work with your banking partners to get a US based Intermediary bank that supports Irish IBANs. It was annoying when I was no longer able to transfer funds from my Fidelity account to my Personal Revolut but now that my Business Revolut account was migrated to an Irish IBAN Iā€™m not receiving payments from US based clients as their banks insist on a US based Intermediary bank. CHASUS33 worked with LT IBANs but apparently they have not updated to also support the new Irish IBANs. This is a significant issue and once my LT account is fully closed Iā€™m likely going to have to use another bank to receive payments.

3 Likes

Iā€™m also having issues with the new Irish IBAN for payments originating from the US, in my case ETrade to US$ Irish IBAN.
It seems the issue is the intermediary bank wonā€™t forward transfers on to Revolut and is instead returning them.
Itā€™s been bouncing backwards and forwards for a couple of months now and support on both sides have effectively washed their hands of it, blaming the other, but not talking to each other.
This is annoying because (at least for myself in Ireland), the LT IBAN was accepted by every utility supplier and every payer, and ultimately the IE IBAN has become a step-back in functionality.

I donā€™t imagine I will renew my Revolut subscription now as a result of this, as I can get the same functionality from Wise instead with comparatively little difference in fees :pensive:

1 Like

@dd17 Iā€™m sorry to hear about your payment issue with the new Irish IBAN. We understand your frustration, and weā€™re actively working to resolve this matter. Your feedback is valuable to us, and we appreciate your loyalty.

If you have any further concerns, please feel free to reach out, and weā€™ll do our best to assist you. :pray:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

Iā€™m a member of Revolut for 5+ years but can get migrated to an irish iban for some reason.

Iā€™ve tried the help option on the app but keep getting terrible inacurate updates.

As the migration isnā€™t complete, it has.
Or iā€™m not eligible, i am.
finally i will be contacted in ā€˜Due Courseā€™, hearing this since i first raised in July!

How hard is it to migrate my accountā€¦

@reggmyster Hello, Welcome to the :r: community. :heart_eyes:

I apologize for the inconvenience youā€™ve experienced. Please check the previous reply here. :pray:

Veda | Community Team

I am trying to transfer USD from a US account to my Revolut account but cannot do so since the switch to Irish IBAN. Any time I follow up with Revolut support on this issue, they advise they are working on a fix but this has been the case for a number of months. Does anyone have this issue with USD accounts in general ? Itā€™s frustrating that this is only an issue following the switch to Irish IBAN - I donā€™t know why!

1 Like

A number of us have been having this issue too with Swift transfers from US$ accounts.
We have recently found that if you are in Ireland, you can use Revolutā€™s intermediary swift code at Barclays in place of the Irish BIC. So, quote this as your Swift code, plus the Irish IBAN.
This has worked for us.

Iā€™d test this with a small amount first ($1) and make sure it works for your sending institution.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

@Treaty1691 Hello, Welcome to the community. :sunflower:

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. I hope this information was helpful to you. :woman_mechanic:

@dd17 We appreciate your assistance. :sunflower:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

Thank you so much !! This has done the trick for me $$

3 Likes

Same issues are happening to me while transfering from my Fidelity account in USD since I was migrated from the LT IBAN to an ES IBAN. I already had two transfers failed and took a 50$ fee in each of them, using the ABA Routing number from here: 021000021

And the the swift code of JP Morgan CHASUS33 as intermediary bank options. Both failed.

Do you know if there are any similar workarounds that would work for ES IBANs?

@FOB - did you find any alternatives for this issue?

2 Likes

@JGS Hello, Welcome to the community. :heart_eyes:

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by this issues. :frowning_face: Please contact us on in app chat or on our Social Media channels so that we can resolve this issue immediately. :pray:

Veda | Community Team

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I finally solved the issue using another bank.

Just to clarify the issue, in case Revolut can fix it in the future: what happens is exactly what @FOB described. To make an international transfer in USD, Fidelity requires that you use a US Intermediary bank providing an American ABA number or SWIFT code. I imagine this is a fairly common case with other services and banks in the US too, since thatā€™s the point of using a US intermediary.

This means the SWIFT code provided by Revolut, ā€˜CHASGB2Lā€™, which is a GB one, itā€™s just not that it doesnā€™t work, itā€™s that you simply cannot add it for use on American services like Fidelity.

The alternative, as explained by @FOB , used to be to just use the SWIFT code for JP MORGAN CHASE in the US, which is ā€˜CHASUS33ā€™. Using that one and the old LT IBAN, transfers went through. However, it seems that the the BICs and IBANs in the format of recently migrated countries in the EU (like IE or ES) are not updated and do not work in the intermediary bank. Using the ABA routing number also doesnā€™t work - transfers are rejected, and the funds bounced back to the source minus a significant fee.

Hopefully Revolut can address this in the future. Thanks a lot for your support :slight_smile:

1 Like

The whole point of the SWIFT messaging service is that banks that do not have a direct relationship with another bank can find a route to reach the recipient. Fidelity is a little ā€œlazyā€ here. In theory, it shouldā€™t be necessary for a recipient to provide a corresponding bank at all.

Fidelity could search the SWIFT network to find a correspondent bank. Thatā€™s what itā€™s for.

I am assuming that introducing a new IBAN is what causes some delay. Banks are notoriously slow in updating tables like this. Before fintech, a Bank would have introduced new IBANs maybe six months before offering a service. That was enough time for everyone to adjust. Nowadays we see delays like this with new IBANs, BIC changes and introducing new BIN ranges for cards.

Revolut could probably try to contact other providers. But I see the responsibility on Fidelityā€™s side here. Customers should badger them about getting up to date. (The alternative would be that Revolut sets things up, tests everything for 10 months or so, and delays the roll-out for that time. Not a very fintech thing to do.)

3 Likes

@JGS Thanks for clarifying the issue and providing a detailed explanation. :rocket:

@Frank Thanks for sharing your insights! :star2:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

I did speak with their Customer Support, and their version of the story is that they can do International transfers with the SWIFT code no problem in other currencies, but if the transfer is in US Dollars, they have to use an American correspondant bank with an American SWIFT or ABA routing number.

Iā€™m not exactly clear if this is due to actual regulations, or due to internal policies, but I canā€™t imagine this being the case only for Fidelity, which is why I mention itā€™s also in Revolutā€™s best interest to have their intermediaries, in this case, JP Morgan Chase, to have their records up to date (a.k.a fix the issue for their customers :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

@JGS No, I still didnā€™t find an alternative US based correspondent bank. Iā€™ve other bank accounts I can use or may set up a Wise account if I need to, but for now Iā€™ve defaulted back to my old LT IBAN on both my personal and business accounts. Revolut customer service couldnā€™t tell me how long these will continue to work and I get warning emails when payments go to the old IBANs but they still work so until that stops Iā€™ll keep using it.

Alternatively if one of the US based correspondent banks adopt support for Irish Revolut IBANā€™s Iā€™ll use that with my newer IBANā€™s. The issue isnā€™t just limited to Fidelity. Iā€™ve the same issue with payments coming to me from Arrival bank in the US.

Iā€™d have hoped that given Revolut already have a relationship with JPM Chase in the UK as a correspondent bank that theyā€™d leverage that relationship to get them to add these new IBANā€™s JPM US (CHASUS33) but Revolut doesnā€™t seem to have an interest in driving this from their side.

1 Like

It seems to be an arbitrary internal policy. Not all banks need intermediary banks to facilitate international USD transfers. But more importantly, itā€™s Fidelityā€™s job to ā€œfindā€ the bank that can connect them to a foreign bank. I can see why they want to use an intermediary in the US. But itā€™s their job to find that third party that then can forward the transaction to the recipient. Thatā€™s what the SWIFT network was designed for.

Fingers crossed the situation improves soon.

itā€™s Fidelityā€™s job to ā€œfindā€ the bank that can connect them to a foreign bank.

They defiantly donā€™t see that as the case. They make users specify the intermediary and categorically insist on it being a US based one. Many banks actually require users to specify the intermediary as different intermediaries have different agreements, fees etc. so they put the onus on the user. Fidelity have had this policy for many years. Iā€™d the same problem when Revolut moved to LT IBANs until JPM added them to their network about 6 months later.

Iā€™d love if there was a simple way for non bankers to check each of the 70+ US based correspondent banks to see who supports the Irish Revolut IBANā€™s without taking a trial and error approach and being charged heavily for every failed transfer. The legacy banking systems still are painful to deal with.

1 Like