Irish IBAN

Looks like Ireland is to follow France and get localised Irish IBANs in the near future :tada:
This is something I know was mentioned a number of times in the media last year and should help to drive adoption, particularly with the upcoming departure of Ulster Bank and KBC.
I can see Revolut making a push for users to migrate their accounts over as these Ulster and KBC accounts start to close.
Why deal with the hassle of opening another bank account (because it is a hassle here) when you may already be a Revolut user and can have a local IBAN?
In addition, AFAIK the Revolut Standard plan would become one of the only, if not the only, free banking option - albeit will limitations.

Personally, I’ve had no issues with IBAN discrimination in Ireland.
Every utility / service provider I have used have accepted the LT IBAN, however in every case it has required download and printout of a written SEPA mandate so hopefully those days are coming to an end :crossed_fingers:t2:

8 Likes

Hi @dd17 :wave:

Thank you for sharing this great article with us :star:

1 Like

I don’t really want to move my IBAN back to Ireland, I already have one bank account in that country and the reason I chose revoult was because I was able to get an account in GB, then moved it to Lithuania, which is OK, but Ireland? I really don’t need another account in that country. Is there any way to keep an account in Lithuania?

7 Likes

I haven’t had any serious problems with my revolute, apart from an Irish airline refusing it.
I already have an Irish bank account I don’t really want or need another irish one, and I have concerns about it adding additional fees.

5 Likes

I hope to see one day spanish ibans too

3 Likes

Hi @Thmark & @lisa_ie :wave: ,

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to our community :smiley:

A :r: account with an Irish IBAN will give you numerous benefits! You will be able to get your salary, schedule direct debits, and pay utility bills as well :sunglasses:

With over two million customers in Ireland, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our customers’ experience :rocket:

Hope this helps :blush:

SG | Community Team

3 Likes

It would be nice to have a personal iban in Switzerland, and something that has been requested for a long time since iban discrimination often occurs. It would be important to keep the GB iban since having an SEE IBAN is always useful

3 Likes

Is there any update on the Irish IBAN switch? Since the Irish government has refused for years to enforce against IBAN discrimination, Revolut is bringing extremely welcome relief by way of much needed competition. I and I’m sure many Irish customers are extremely ready to avail of this major improvement. Thank you!

2 Likes

Not that I’m aware of, however the announcement was toward the end of January and it stated that IBANs would be migrated in batches starting two months from the date of that announcement - which would make that around now.
RE IBAN discrimination in Ireland, is there anywhere in particular you are having problems with?
The only direct debit instruction I couldn’t get through was for Leap card auto top-up.
All utilities, suppliers, mortgage etc were fine for me, but you do normally need to post in a written mandate. You can normally download and print these just by Googling [company name] SEPA direct debit mandate form.
That said, if the IBAN change is just around the corner maybe it isn’t worth the hassle now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@dd17 Hello :wave: Thank you so much for this informative response. :sunflower:

@watou Welcome to the :r: community. We are happy to have you here :heart:
Hope this piece of information was helpful :smiley:

Veda | Community Team

3 Likes

@watou - FYI:

2 Likes

Great news! Thank you for that. :+1:

2 Likes

Okay, since it’s relevant to the topic: I need to open a second Revolut account now that I moved here to Ireland for work (my previous/current one was UK). Can I use this to receive my salary? Sorry if it’s a silly question, but I genuinely wonder… :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I do with no problems - and that’s using the Lithuanian IBAN. The news article linked above states that new Revolut accounts being opened in Ireland now have the IE IBAN from day 1, so you should definitely have no problems there.
Note though, I don’t think Revolut will let you have 2 accounts. You might need to close the UK one - I don’t think they can just transfer you now as they are separate legal entities. Probably best to check with in app support on that

3 Likes

If I could change the country of residence probably I wouldn’t need a second account, but I’ll check with the app support like you mentioned. My issue is that my current IBAN starts with “GB” and my company’s payroll system does not allow me to add that. T-T

2 Likes

That is wrong. GB is still a (non-EU-)SEPA member.

Explainer - What is IBAN discrimination-and what can I do about it | Central Bank of Ireland.

2 Likes

did anyone else have issue to migrate to Irish Iban? Mine didn’t happen at all :frowning: support told me to wait 60 days after I received the initial email, but that was 2023-01-23, long gone now the 60 days.

1 Like

Funnily enough there is an article on RTÉ this morning stating this has now been completed.
Seems to be premature. We were actually discussing yesterday afternoon at the office (everyone is a Revolut user) about the upcoming hassle we’ll all have with changing direct debits etc over.
As of yesterday afternoon, not one person I’m aware of has yet received their Irish IBAN so seems this article is very premature.
You’re not alone :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: Looks like there was a big push late in the day yesterday, I and others all received our Irish IBANs.
In addition, joint accounts became available in the app. As those have a unique IBAN from the core personal account, I guess they were waiting on the rollout to complete :tada:

2 Likes

With the Irish market being transferred fully, lets focus on the other countries like The Netherlands!
:smiley:

3 Likes

Branch registries like this might give an indication for regions where Revolut considers more localised services.

2 Likes