Irish IBAN

And why do these system restrictions exist despite being unlawful for about a decade now?

1 Like

Not updating your payroll software isn’t unlawful. If the company follows regulations and accepts all SEPA IBANs, the law does not care how this is achieved.

Here, @Suemaggs asks for a timeline for something that Revolut is going to do anyway, because it would make his job easier. That’s all, no?

2 Likes

We’ll see, let’s report him/her to the Central Bank of Ireland and see what they say about their systems not accepting all SEPA IBANs :wink:

2 Likes

The employer does accept foreign IBANs. They apply a workaround to make it possible.

(The company could potentially report the payroll system provider, whatever that means, a third party bookkeeping company or just the software distributor. But maybe the employer just didn’t implement recent changes because the number of foreign IBANs is so small that the workaround is the more economical option to comply. Here, an employer simply asked about the timeline of something Revolut is already changing. He‘s not trying to avoid compliance or responsibility. At least, this is how I understand the situation.)

2 Likes

It’s still discrimiation if it doesn’t work same as with “local IBAN”, trust me, I have never accepted companies in germany that tell me that I can use a non-DE IBAN by other means (snail mail, telephone…) if their online systems don’t accept them and I always won in the end.

DISCLAIMER: As mentioned otherwhere on the forum I am a little bit on the autism spectrum and I just cannot accept things that aren’t “correct” in my eyes, and I use every possible legal means to my disposal to archive my goals - but I don’t mean any harm.

1 Like

That’s the point. No one is being discriminated! Employees get their salary to an LT IBAN. It’s cumbersome for the employer, but who cares! The question comes from an employer, not an employee. The burden here is exclusively on the side of the employer. :slightly_smiling_face:

The employer does not refuse LT IBANs. It just means more work for the payroll department. Not for the employee.

3 Likes

How do you know that?
I am SURE that the employees are asked to enter a “normal IBAN” first by the 1st level HR department trained monkeys.

Or do you have any reason to believe otherwise? :wink:

2 Likes

He wrote “As an employer”. The “company” was asking the question about the timeline here. And the initial question also confirmes that employees with LT IBAN have been and still are employed. There is simply no evidence that it caused them any problems. :+1:

2 Likes

Doesn’t convince me, at all.
Let alone the other impacts of using a payroll system that hasn’t been updated in a decade.
Companies need to be responsible.

Bottom line: Let’s agree to disagree

2 Likes

The thing is I do agree with you that IBAN discrimination should be reported. But it’s obvious what the initial post was about. It says so literally in the first sentence that it’s not about an employee being discriminated here.

An employer says here literally that “payroll” has more work. That’s it.

Every company has the right to make bookkeeping as complicated for them as they want to. (It was me who said it might be the result of software that wasn’t updated.) It doesn’t matter really why they use a “system” that complicates things for them. Their choice. Following regulations matters, not how you achieve it.

3 Likes

I can absolutely assure you all there is no discrimination here, the employees are being paid with no issue into their LITH IBAN. It is not causing the employee any issue, they don’t even realise there is a manual workaround.

Its simply a question “when will all Irish Revolut customers have an Irish IBAN” so that I can manage the business expectations of how long the workaround will need to continue.

5 Likes

Do you ask every other bank about that, too?
Let’s say I come to work for you with my german UniCredit account, will you ask UniCredit germany to provide IE-IBANs? They will laugh at you.

Come one, it is discrimination, because people without IE IBANs are handled differently from others. Think about it. Sad that in 2023 people still need to be educated about what discrimination really is about :frowning:

It would be much better to simply do something about your outdated payroll system instead of wasting your time with what you are doing here now.

But I will stop visiting this thread here now, clearly not getting through here.
This will be my last comment, I tried my best to raise awareness about the real issue. That’s all I can do.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing: I do understand your point. Your message is clear. I just don’t agree with you. IBAN discrimination is a serious problem. But this case is not. There is no discrimination.

IBAN discrimination is defined as denial of accepting international IBANs. The company is not denying IBANs. It is handling the internal payment process a little differenty. It was confirmed that the employee doesn’t even notice it. The is no material difference between how employees are treated. As an employee, you won’t be able to make an argument for discrimination. Every regulator would decline intervention, theres no possible regulatory action here. The employer fulfils all legal and regulatory requirements.

Your argument about UniCredit is a “whataboutism”.

(Remember this: no one was asking Revolut to please offer Irish IBANs. The question was about a timeline for something that Revolut has announced is happening anyway.)

3 Likes

@FOB @Suemaggs Hello and Greetings from the :r: community. :blush:

@Frank @slz Thank you for engaging in such an intense discussion. I appreciate your active participation and the valuable insights shared. :rocket:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

I still don’t have the answer I was after - do you know when all Irish customers will be given their Irish IBAN please?

1 Like

@Suemaggs Although it is true that a large number of eligible customers have already been migrated to the Irish branch (over 2 million), the process is not fully completed yet. All remaining eligible users will continue to be migrated in a phased manner starting from 2 months after the date of the legal notice they received via email.

Thank you for your understanding. I kindly request your patience as we work towards resolving this issue. :rocket:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

Veda, you did not address the question above. Starting 2 moths from receiving the legal notice???
This is pretty clear, but the question is when will we receive the legal notice?
thanks

2 Likes

It’s sad, in my household I’m the only one without an Irish IBAN. The online help are unable to give a straight answer why I’ve not migrated yet. I’m also the only one that actually need an Irish IBAN, I’m the one paying the bills. There is defiantly some more sinister reason why this has not happened to some people. Maybe something about being metal accounts? Don’t know?
Frustrating to say the least…

3 Likes

Totally agree. The online help is completely useless. Same answer in a few different ways.
Months passed, still waiting

4 Likes

Hello everyone :wave:,

I understand your concern regarding Irish IBAN. :cry: Please keep in mind that there are specific requirements you need to meet to be eligible for this option. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive email communication, and your account will be migrated to the branch automatically. Hope that helps. :pray:

Welcome to our community @IanP. :r:

SG | Community Team

1 Like