Debit cards recognized as a credit cards

Hello @sqlserver,

As I can see it has been reverted back to your account. Maybe you can ask your bank if they can see it.

Yes you can verify your card using the 4 digits code. Go to the top up section on the app to find your card. You can find "Do not forget to verify this card’. Hit on it and add the 4 digits code, the app will ask you to scan your card too.

Best,

Andreas K.

p.s. @sqlserver we don’t offer web support. Our support is in-app support, you can use the in-app chat, it’s called Support.

Hi there,

I’ve been struggling with this same situation. My card is debit (confirmed with bank), but it’s not assumed as one.

The strange part, I made the first top-up even so it was marked in the app as credit, because I really needed, but a few moments after (minutes or so), it showed as debit without any contact with the support.

I made efforts to be reembursed because my card is debit and not credit. I sent several screenshots and evidences showing that. Now, it shows as credit, again.

I really need this solved because I am abroad and Revolut is precious, but I am really tired of trying to fix this.

I appreciate your help.

Ty.

1 Like

I have received your direct message let’s continue there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi
It’s more than 5 weeks now (and more than 3 months since the beginning of the story) and the problem is still unsolved. It’s almost too much! I understand that some users turn upset. The pressure is maybe more important through the community discussions?
Best
DG.

Hi @DGGiv,

We have contacted you via then in-app support chat, could you please take a look and let us know.

We’re looking forward to hear back from you.

Best,

Andreas K.

Hi
I don’t see what you mean. There is no contact in the in-app support chat.
Best
DGGIV.

@DGGiv, that’s strange. I have initiated a chat, can you open the app and let me know if you can see my messages?

Yes, I can see the messages now.
DGGiv.

The problem is that there is no 1-to-1 relationship between the BIN number and the card type and banks can issue both debit and credit cards under the same BIN. Some banks dedicate different BIN numbers to different card types, some don’t.

I don’t know how this works operationally at Revolut but their acquirer (Barclays/Paysafe etc) should be sending a merchant category code (MCC) to your bank at the time of the top-up and this is normally 6012 (Member Financial Institution–Merchandise And Services) which in combination with the card type (which your bank will know for sure) will define the treatment of the transaction and the fees applied by your bank. At the same time, the acquirer will request a card type designation during authorisation and will define the interchange fees due to Mastercard at that time. Potentially, there is a time mismatch there if the acquirer performs the “end of day” processing for all transactions. As Revolut show the top-ups instantenously, they probably do not know the fees payable to the acquirer at that time and have to rely on some sort of BIN checker which does not necessarily yield a correct result.

However, that being said, once the top-up transaction has completed Revolut should be able to trace what fees they have been charged for the top-up and it is actually quite non-transparent (and mean) if they make money on the difference between the fees collected from us and the fees payable to the acquirer.

It would be fair if they repay the fee once the card type has been confirmed by the acquirer.

@anon33247966 could you please confirm/deny the above ?

I was told getting a refund wasn’t possible. Merchant says my card is definitely a credit card and it is :r: problem, :r: says the opposite. So I now avoid merchants that charge for using credit cards, typically airlines and travel agents.

Hi @Ratamon,

Just to clarify that if the card comes up as credit card but it’s a debit card and the top up has been completed, after a careful investigation we change our database and refund the fees. However, this can only be done once we have a confirmation regarding the type of the card by the issuer bank.

Best,

Andreas K.

Is your acquirer able to ask for a card type as part of an authorisation request ? There should be an optional transaction or message type functionality to allow for this I think

Hi.

Experiencing similar issue with my debit card issued by Raiffeisenbank in Russia. Revolut insists its Credit.

Another annoying problem is that Revolut insists on charging in RUB with exchange, even though the card is in USD and linked to my USD account. Currency is even printed on the card as USD.

How do we make this right, please?

Thanks

Debit / credit categorization relies on BIN code databases. Check the first six numbers of your card with one of the BIN check services online to see how the card is registered.

Then help Revolut to update their database by providing some proof (photo of the card that has printed “debit” on it or some paper from issuing bank) that it is indeed a debit card.

When topping up with a card, one can choose the currency. The currency can even be changed every time one tops up with that card. Just tap the arrow next to the currency.

Beware of the higher fees for USD card top ups.

Thank you for the information Frank. It is good to know but doesn’t help us resolve the issues. BIN database can say whatever, my bank issued a debit card (I do not have any credit cards with them): they know it, I know it. Revolut at first sets base currency to GBP incorrectly (probably, because I live in the UK), then insists on charging in RUB and converting, I guess, cause the card is issued in Russia.

My 20 min chat with Support in the Revolut App ended up with: “sorry, contact your card issuer”.

Would any Revolut operatives please step in and help me fix this?

One more gripe with Revolut: when I “delete” card in the App I expect you to DELETE it, as in not store my card details in any of your databases. This is security issue. Your support employee knew my card details after I’ve deleted it from the app. This is no joking matter.

Thanks

Like I suggested: help Revolut to update their BIN database. This has happened before. And Revolut adapted. But you should be able to provide some sort of confirmation from your issuing bank that it is indeed a debit card.

Base currency: the base currency depends on your residency status. Revolut right now is only avbalibalbe for customers in the EEA. Base currency is always based on your address.

Currencies for card top ups: merchants can’t know the currency of a card. They just assume, based on the country of issuance, what the currency might be. It’s like you assume. But with Revolut, you can change this! After you added your card for top ups, it shows the currency on the left, and then you can change it and choose a currency you would like. I know this, I’ve been there before. I use a EUR card from a Finnish bank that is issued in UK and therefore wrongly recognized by Revolut as a GBP card for top ups in EUR. Have you tried to change the currency this way?

Thanks Frank.

Happy to provide whatever evidence Revolut might need. Can even put them in touch with my bankers. Could Revolut employee willing to assist let themselves be known please? Sadly, in app support is of no help - drone following a script.

Thanks

So what no takers from Revolut team? Perhaps @anon33247966 ?

Sure! Are you able to send me your phone number associated with your account via DM?