Debit cards recognized as a credit cards

I have no control over what the bank does. The only thing I know is that it is a debit card and Revolut is not treating it as a debit card. Can’t the bin information be outdated?

Will be there any official solution for this kind of issues?

Asking your bank to renew your card to get a new one along with the new regulations ; whit DEBIT printed on it?

Despite the new regulation, I just got a new card and debit wasn’t printed on it.

@zsorda if you can provide a bank confirmation that states it’s a debit card it should be ok

BIN checkers are not reliable. There is no 1-to-1 relationship between the BIN number and the card type (for some BINs). The banks can issue both debit and credit cards under the same BIN. The interchange rates are often but not always tied to the BIN number. When performing the authorization the Merchant sets a parameter requesting the Processor to return an indicator identifying the card type. The implication is that Revolut does not know whether a card is a credit or a debit card at the time of authorisation. Some banks I know have issued credit cards under assumed debit BINs to earn a higher interchange fee. Therefore, the safest way to confirm the card type is to request a confirmation letter from your bank.

As an aside - Is it possible for Revolut to trace interchange fees to specific cards and then lift the credit card fee if they are charged debit interchange fees ?

I had the same issue solved by the team one month ago, after a lot of pain. But, the same problem comes back now. I cannot believe it!!! It’s really too much.
One month to solve, you said? And after another month (or an update of the system?) you have to restart the whole process? These problems should be considered more seriously by the staff. Best. DG.

1 Like

Hi @DGGiv,

Is it a new card or the same card?

Best,

AndreasK

Hi. It is the same card of course.
But now, I have to recognize that the support has been extremely efficient. They solved the problem and turned my card back to a debit card in less than 2 hours.
Congratulations!
And thanks to you in case you interceded.
DG.

Glad to hear that!

Always welcome @DGGiv

Back to pain!
It was far too early to celebrate. After some hours I realized that the mess was back. The data base of Revolut claims again that my card is a credit card. My bank confirms categorically that it is a debit card. I’m desperate. It is kafkaesque in its absurdity. DG.

Hi @DGGiv,

Same card again? Do you mind if you contact me directly?

Best,

AndreasK

Hi AndreasK
Yes, it is the same card again.
DG.

Yes. It’s always the same card. I agree on contacting you directly. Best. DG.

1 Like

I have escalated your case to the ops team @DGGiv

I have the same problem. When booking with Easyjet you get a discount when paying with debit card. With Revolut I never get the discount. i contacted them and they said I paid using a creditcard.

Hi @geertn,

Unfortunately, Easy-jet treats Revolut card as Credit Card.

1 Like

Hi AndreasK,
Do you have some news about my “case”?
This affair (with this particular card) lasts for 2 months now (before your mediation, it started mid-August).
Best,
DG.

I topped up yesterday with an Irish visa DEBIT card for 100 euro.My bank account shows 2 separate Revolut transactions, 100 euro and 1 euro,so I was charged 1% fee as if it was a CREDIT card

Hi,

That’s pre verification (1euro) it will return back to your account within 2 -3 days.

Best,

Andreas K.

1 Like

Hi Andreas

The one euro has not returned to my account yet. It keeps floating to the top of my bank account statement. I noticed there is a 4 digit pin on my bank account statement- should I be using this to somehow verify this first use of my debit card?
If so, how do I do this.
I cannot use support chat, there is no link in the contact details on the revolut website.

thanks