Apple Pay support

Your Revolut card can be added into Masterpass regardless if it’s Visa or Mastercard. Just enable online transactions.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply but I want Masterpass Tap&Pay which is not available in :austria:.

Oh okay, that is not available in Czech neither… :frowning: and it wouldn’t work on iOS anyway.

7 Likes

Ask Apple to open NFC on iOS. :slight_smile:

Or ask Revolut to implement it maybe? Its been a while now

1 Like

Nobody wants a system as android were nothing works. Or were everybody can implement a solution that sucks. So please don’t. Meanwhile I’ll use apple pay with German old school institutes which were quicker than the agile startup…

2 Likes

Seriously? Well, if you are happy that Apple can decide/control what you can do with your overpriced device. Maybe if Revolut could use NFC on both Android and iOS we all had a working solution by now.

2 Likes

I know my own experience is not a general truth at all but I have never seen in my life one single person paying anything with his phone, whatever the OS. And I do not live in a shithole, though I must admit I do not frequent much hipster places.

I see this a lot, particularly on the Tube. Many Tube passengers are already holding their phones for something to do while on their journey or the escalators. So it’s easier to use one’s phone on the ticket barriers than to get out one’s wallet or purse, and then the card, and put it all away again. Once this ease of use is proven on the Tube, many continue the practice elsewhere, for example in pubs and bars, where they use their phones while waiting to be served.

3 Likes

Whenever I am in my home country, Switzerland, I almost exclusively use Apple Pay. Abroad not so much since my Swiss credit card issuer charges ludicrous foreign transaction fees and Revolut does not support it. So whoever supports it abroad first, gets my business,

5 Likes

Please don’t. I am quite happy that they do not open it.

2 Likes

I just realized again that Switzerland does not have EURO - so everywhere you pay outside is a foreign currency - unlike most countries in the EU.

@Regalia, why don’t you give a reason for this surprising comment?

I am using Apple Pay for quite a while now - it works very smooth. I do not want any other companies to tinker around in this environment. Because I like it when things just work.

Nobody is forced to use it. If someone doesn’t like it the way Apple does, anyone can buy a different phone and use something like G Pay.

1 Like

@Regalia, I don’t understand why you object to Apple allowing iPhones’ NFC functionality to be used for non-payment NFC purposes, for example:

• Workplace security passes
  • Opening hotel room doors
  • Reading passports. Although I disagree with the UK government’s requirement for EU nationals resident in the UK to register to stay in their country of residence, I do think it’s ridiculous that the smartphone app for this will work only on Android, because Apple unreasonably refuses to allow the UK government’s app to use iPhones’ NFC chips to read passports. Whilst I would prefer to blame the incompetent current British government, the blame here lies clearly with Apple.
  • Public transport passes (e.g. Oyster on Transport for London). Although TfL has pioneered the use of contactless payment cards, including Apple Pay, this cannot be used by the very young and the very old, who need a physical Oyster card to enjoy the discounts to which they are entitled.
1 Like

To be fair - they did open it for some other purposes, for example the Japanese SUICA.

I can only consider the things I frequently use and need myself - and all your points are none of them. So as long as everything I need works smoothly and flawless, I am perfectly fine in letting things stay that way.

Apple have already partnered with hotels to offer the ability to open hotel room doors, and with colleges to offer student ID - so this is coming, and NFC reading is available and has been for around 18 months (not the kind we’d need to read ID cards at work, but reading is available).

However, to get back to the point of this thread, Apple Pay is the correct solution to NFC payments on iOS, and I hope Revolut manage to implement it in a timeframe we would consider “soon” rather than their definition which appears to be “sometime this century”.

2 Likes

OK so that that’s a cultural/local thing then. Once again my vision is not universal but I believe it is not that common where I live, hic et nunc.

I assume when you say Tube you are talking about London’s. I was there last Summer, for work, during a couple of weeks. I did not know it was possible to use a phone or a card to take the Tube, so I bought an Oyster card when I arrived in my first day.

Here in Paris where I live, it is not possible to do that yet. You either buy an old school magnetic ticket or get a weekly/monthly subscription with the local contactless transport card.

The Paris transports syndicate has started a beta program (I am a tester, actually!) to use the NFC feature of the phone as an alternative to tickets and cards. But it is quite restrictive: you need a NFC SIM card (so only 1 out of 4 mobile networks is compatible) and a device with Android OS and an access to the services on the SIM card (so my old Samsung S7 Edge is OK but my Pixel 3 XL is not).

I take everyday the RER A, one of the world’s busiest train lines and I have never met any other beta tester during my daily journeys.

Maybe some trendy people in fancy coffee shops and whatnot pay with their phones but regular people doing regular everyday stuff don’t do that.

Indeed. It’s the only underground/metro system known by this informal name. Cubic, the British company that implemented contactless payments on behalf of Transport for London is currently implementing the same on behalf of New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

1 Like