when topping up my revolut account with a credit card, will this be considered a purchase by my credit card bank?

When topping up my revolut account with my credit card, will this be considered a purchase by my credit card bank? I have a credit card with 0% interest for several months just on purchases. Will revolut top up included in this offer by my credit card bank? Thanks

0 Likes

Any light on this? Anyone knows?

0 Likes

Normally YES, it should count as purchase. But your local bank might treat it differently. Just try one time and you will see.

1 Like

Depends on the bank I’m afraid. One of my cards treats the top up as a normal transaction. Another one as a cash advance.

0 Likes

I called Halifax and told me they are taking it like a withdrawal from a ATM, which means I pay interest on it from the moment I do the transaction, whereas a purchase you have 2 months to pay it before you pay interest on it.
Which banks do you have experience with which takes it as a purchase on a credit card?

0 Likes

if you search the forum you will find this has been discussed several times

0 Likes

Both Nationwide and HSBC credit cards treat Revolut top ups as a normal transaction, not a cash advance. So far.

0 Likes

I’ve found that most credit cards charge as a cash withdrawal, Except on one card.
Barclaycard charged me £10.00 on a £500.00 Revolut Top Up.

0 Likes

I top up from both Capital One and Amazon (Newday) without fees, both show as purchases and not cash advances

1 Like

“Purchases”, so these would even qualify for cash back or reward points?

In my case it’s shown as cash advance (Cornercard Switzerland).

0 Likes

As neither of my credit cards offer cash back or reward points I am unable to answer your question, sorry.
I reiterate though that both show my top-ups as purchases and therefor do not attract cash advance fees so I must assume that it depends on the credit card supplier to decide how to handle top-ups

0 Likes