UI Overhaul

The home screen looks a total mess in 7.0. It’s by far the worst UI/UX update I’ve seen in Revolut (and I’ve been customer almost since the beginning).

Starting from the top, a giant “Home” label… duh?

Then the tabs. I don’t have any linked accounts and neither I plan to have any. Nor I have any junior accounts. This only leaves the “Accounts” tab that is relevant for me. Yet, the tab bar takes a generous chunk of screen estate and there is no way I can hide it.

Then the short links. “Add money”, “Send”… and that’s it. They’ve run out of space, of course because it’s taken by other things, so much more useful and frequently used, than, let’s say “Exchange”. Who needs that, right?

Then the one and only transaction. The last one. Because who needs more? In a banking app? Don’t be ridiculous. Ok, if you insist there is this tiny little “See all” label which you can almost always hit from the third or fourth attempt. What else can you ask for?

And finally, the “Suggested for You” block. Which takes good 25% of the space. Ok, I’ve looked at these options and decided they are not for me. Can I hide them to regain some of the screen space? Of course not! Why would anybody want that?

Seriously, Revolut, something has gone very wrong in your UX department.

12 Likes

In 7.1 beta the size of the obnoxiously large banner in the “me” section has been reduced significantly :slight_smile: it seems that 7.0 might have been more of a “this is the direction we’re going in” with 7.X.X builds being refining the vision they have.

Hm, I don’t know. Then reason why I didn’t find the old graph helpful is that it’s just cumulative spending over time. My monthly spending is roughly the same. I live in two places, and it’s lower when I am at one place, and a little higher when I live at the other place. And a graph that goes up from the beginning of the month to the end is just not informative at all for me. The bar graphs instead help me better to compare weeks. I see at a glance when I might have splurged, or when a singular exceptionally higher payment happened, like when you need to buy a washing machine because the old one died.

So for me, the curve really doesn’t give the same visual insight like the bars that show a month‘s spending separated in weeks. It’s way more obvious how spending between weeks varies, and between months with the new median and trend indicator. A curve goes always only upwards, while now I can see that I spent more or less than average on a weekly basis. And this is exactly the kind of information that I find helpful. Because I know already that I will have spent more at the end of a month compared to the beginning. I really don’t need a graph for this. I might have spent 1000 the last month, and 2000 this month, but the curve for both months could look almost identical. With the bar graphs, I now see this difference in a very obvious way broken down by weeks.

3 Likes

Why do i see Invite a friend and Discover Rewards on the main screen instead of the list of all transactions? Trying a bit too hard to push the product at the cost of usability for existing users?

7 Likes

The new UI is an absolute joke. Revolut are clearly prioritising advertising over functionality.

• Where are the links to the obvious functions on the home page?
  • What a ridiculous eyesore and waste of space having huge advertisements for upgrades?
  • Why have ‘add a friend’ and ‘gifts’ been given large icons on the home page but only one transaction is shown?
  • Terrible layout and navigation

From a banking app users want functionality!

I will be looking elsewhere which is a shame as I’ve been using Revolut since 2016. I won’t be recommending in the future and so far I’ve had nothing bad to say.

Bad move Revolut. Please sort your app out or lose customers. Have a look at the Lloyds app if you want to see a clear design.

I’ve contacted Revolut directly through the chat system, please can others do so too?

6 Likes

The new UI is a big disaster for me. All the functions I did and used on first glance are now 1 or two clicks and couple of scrolls away… Why do I have just a preview of account now and not fully expanded with all transactions? If I can’t put there more accounts under each other. Why do I have the always on option to go to Junior of I don’t have kids? I did not ask for this. Why can’t I simply add notes to a transaction but I need to scroll down, click, write, click again… Why do I need to click one extra time for exchange of currency? It does not make any sense. And where is the fully customizable dashboard?

5 Likes

I did contact them. In my opinion, the best they can do right now is revert UI changes immediately and then invest in something that is really missing, like the web version. There was no need for UI overhaul of the mobile app. It worked fine.

6 Likes

Spending insights coming:tm: as I’ve mentioned before in this thread. Please read the entire thread in the future.

Specify, what obvious functions?

Spending insights coming:tm: as I’ve mentioned before in this thread. Please read the entire thread in the future.

It’s actually pretty good as a layout and navigation when the app does so much :slight_smile:

Does it actually make a difference to your user experience? That space wasn’t being used for anything but Junior and never will be. You can just not click it.

Profile → Widgets

How do you know? And what kind of insights?

OK, I fully understand your needs but I think most people spend each month as the one before. I don´t mind to have new options to choose from but for me that old graph was the best I´ve ever had and the new one doesn´t give me the visual information I want to have and most important: I used to have with revolut. Would be nice to have the old one as a third option, apart from monthly and weekly. Woudn´t hurt anyone but make many old (and perhaps new) customers happy. I just don´t see the need to throw something away, what many users liked.

But we will see how the UI will evolve…

Klaus

2 Likes

Saw a screenshot somewhere. General spending insights, not sure what specifically.

Fair play, my first time opening the UI was disappointing and frustrating almost to the extent of closing.
I don’t need the useful bits squashed into a smaller space to try persuade me with pretty pictures to invite a friend or discover rewards. I don’t need the rightmost of the bottom options that used to give me a useful dashboard dedicated to selling me an upgraded card.
I certainly didn’t need to spend half an hour going round in circles trying to find where the vaults are now. Sure, once I found it it’s kinda obvioius but I was blinded by frustration at breaking something that worked well in order to get me to click stuff that makes them more money.
Now where’s the button to downgrade to a free account. I am really disinclined to pay an ongoing fee for a service that treats its customers with such contempt.

2 Likes

FWIW banks actually do make most of their money from cross-selling products and using bulk agreements to offer reasonable priced packaged accounts

They just don’t typically push it in the app as much, because you will see the benefits and get it

But unfortunately the current banks don’t need more adoption as people stick with those accounts forever. Revolut are new and people aren’t all on the metal plan and they’ve not been on it for the last decade, unlike traditional banks

1 Like

Today update made UX even worse than before.
First you recently removed the graph.

Now even to see all my transactions I need to click some “See all” - why did you remove it from the main screen? Just why? Instead I have some useless “invite a friend” and “discover rewards” taking half of the screen.

Do you guys really need to make changes all the time to worse?
It feels like you make changes that are visible (but make UX worse) just so management will see that work is done?

6 Likes

Please read the entire thread. I’ve commented on this many times before.

You can comment as much as you like but it’s pretty obvious from reading the thread that the majority of users don’t want the upgrade. Over the past year my usage of Revolut has gone from “can’t live without it” to “well if I really have to”. I’ve gone almost totally Starling as it has a brilliant app, great customer service and truly innovative features, all of which are sadly missing from Revolut. I’m downgrading from Premium and likely to scrap Revolut later in the year. It’s a shame really as when it was launched it seemed like an excellent product, concise and easy to use… Ahh those were the days.

5 Likes

How many customers use Revolut?
How many users comment here?
How many of the users commenting here don’t don’t like it?

The feedback regarding the redesign is fair. And people should chime in when they don’t like it. But the number of comments here represents not even anything close to what can be considered „a majority“ of Revolut‘s users.

It’s tricky, right? As always, users are more inclined to write a review when they find something irritating. Or they write one when they really do love something. But what about the majority of users that neither hate nor love it? They are okay with it, they don’t bother signing up for a community account here to complain. That’s probably the real majority.

1 Like

I don’t like the fact it doesn’t show the total balance and also I the statistics page doesn’t show last 6 months, lady year. E.g. only you can check each month seperately.
Revolut should follow the ideology of never downgrade/remove features…

BTW, is there any way to install old version of app?

2 Likes

YOu keep asking people to read the entire thread. First, if people have come to express their frustration as I did yesterday, this is one of the obvious avenues for so doing. In forums where it’s about learning stuff then of course, reading complete threads before repeating questions already asked makes sense but not here.

I haven’t read all of it but worked my way though a fair example and one of the most unhelpful ‘replies’ repeated ad nauseua is yours ‘Spending insights coming:tm: as I’ve mentioned before in this thread. Please read the entire thread in the future.’ as if that answers anything.

If something that replaces something that annoys many people is ‘coming soon’, surely they should have waited until it was developed before releasing this?!

AS MadNomad comments below, For the first years the philosophy appeared to be 'how can we make our product so cheap, good and easy to use that people are so excited they want to share it with everyone?

Now it seems to have shifted to, Now how can we sell as much as possible to as many of our existing customers as much as possible and encourage people to share by giving them pretty pictures?’

Your answer that ‘well all banks need to sell more products to existing customers’ to be frank is lame.

I will be one looking further afield and disappointed in having been ‘forced’ to do so by an increasingly uninspiring and annoying interface. If enough people do it and they learn from this and revert, great, if not and they win by earning more in the long term from it then that’s also of course legit but they can do it without me and the many others who see it as taking the mick out of those of us who helped, by our sharing, made it a success.

7 Likes

I also dislike the new UI. I’ve been with Revolut from the start, and its ironic that its very ‘raison d’etre’, the reason it came into existence, which was the simplification and frictionless execution of forex, has now been relegated to 2 button clicks away from the home page :frowning:

IMHO, the app has become bloated, full of marketing, and has lost the functionality and slickness of old. The home page is especially galling and non functional. It’s sad to see other Fintechs and even some legacy banks now have a slicker and all together better user experience. Look at Starling, TransferWise, for evidence of a most pleasing aesthetic combined with functionality.

Come on Revolut, you seem to have lost your way. It would be a pity to demote you to 2nd or 3rd rate fiddle, but I cannot see myself carrying on with this level of UI vandalism.

11 Likes