Fraudulent Transaction - Security Flaw in Disposable Cards?

As I understood it, the OP was clear when mentioning that the disposable virtual card has been blocked for 4 months, it had declined a payment once (as it should), but lately the merchant managed to charge the blocked disposable virtual card.
There have been previous complaints about disposable virtual cards being charged without the card holders’ consent.
Revolut should either make sure that this card is really safe or just stop issuing it, as it seems to give more worries than conveniences.

And I’m still awaiting a reply on my claim.

Unfortunately 3DS authentication does not mean you get challenged on your phone. There is this thing called “frictioneless 3DS”:

So what you should say is: I did not get a push message on my phone, I never authorized this transaction, it was probably authorized by Revolut with 3DS without me being involved in a frictionless way, it is fraud.

4 Likes

I can definitely confirm this.
My Disposable Card has been compromised 2 days ago.

I did the Report Transaction, went to Chat with a Live agent as soon as I noticed and through some miracle I got my money back.
I don’t recall seeing any payment notification or confirming such transaction.

If this wore to happen with any of my normal cards, which I keep Frozen 99.99% percent of time, then I would bear half the blame because that’s information which you access and use regularly and there’s always a chance that someone “sees” and uses that information.
I mean, at this point you’re one confirmation away from confirming the payment.

The Disposable Card information isn’t something you access regularly and you only enter the information once and then the card is terminated. This sounds 100% safe, so what went wrong?

I keep my cards Frozen because some websites are conveniently activating “Recurring payments” after a single transaction and you have the option to manually disable Recurring Payments.

For some reason the Disposable Card didn’t have a Freeze Option, if I recall correctly.
I can’t recall if it had a CVV Lock or something.

There should be multiple safety locks and multiple notifications (SMS, E-Mail, etc.) for a payment, especially when it’s the first time you pay on a “new” website.

1 Like

I just had this happen to me yesterday, it was on pubg mobile merchant for 99.99 USD
I saw the transaction by chance, was reviewing account analytics.

Issued chargeback request, got this message:
Amount Refunded
We couldn’t find any traces of fraudulent activity on your account. After a careful investigation, we’ve identified that the transaction(s) you’ve marked as unrecognised were made with a virtual disposable card. These cards are designed to be used once, and since the details of this card can only be accessed through the app, we cannot treat this transaction as unauthorised.

Spoke with a live agent, and he told that because the transaction is still in pending, they cannot process it, which is different from what the chargeback says, essentially, they claim that somehow a combination of digits cannot be brute forced or otherwise.

Logged a formal complaint in their complaint email address and referenced this thread here.
Also contacted pubg for details on the transaction, all i could find was some generic email, hopefully they can direct me where I need to go.

4 Likes

Same here and the merchant was also PUBG Mobile and on a disposable card.

I need to contact PUBG to get information about the transaction.

It is a very annoying situation !

4 Likes

+1, a charge yesterday by PUBG Mobile for 99.99 USD on a disposable card.

My chargeback request was denied with the message “These cards are designed to be used once, and since the details of this card can only be accessed through the app, we cannot treat this transaction as unauthorised.”, but I’ll see if contacting customer support helps.

For now I’ve terminated my disposable card, because it is obviously not secure.

4 Likes

How can you trust a bank that treat customer like that?

2 Likes

That is unfortunately not true. It can be brute forced, it is just numbers. They can observe the range these numbers are created in and then they can try one number after the other in that range. Sometimes they hit a real one. Disposable cards are just numbers. If Revolut treats them as something that is more secure than non-disposable cards and don’t challenge these with 3DS, that is Revolut’s problem that they need to fix.

2 Likes

Hello, I was experiencing the the same issue. Someone used my disposable card for PUGB Mobile and charged 99.99 USD from my account. I am living in switzerland and never bought anything at PUBG Mobile. I do not use USD normally. And it says, that someone put in my “CVV” once wrong, so the transaction did not work. The payment after that was triggered a second time (immediately) and there it charged me 99.99 USD.

The revolut agent told me, that the disposable card can only be created by someone that has access to my account. This is frightening, especially because I was not using my phone, it was next to me all the time and i was home alone.

It seems like there is a fraud scheme with disposable cards going on with pubg today and revolut users are getting “attacked”?

4 Likes

Same here, got charged $99.99 from “PUBG MOBILE” on a disposable card.

My chargeback was initially declined because “Disposable cards are secure and only I can authorize the transaction” or whatever

Live chat also insisted that I made the transaction. After reassuring them I never opened the app around the time of the transaction, nor did I receive any authorization notifications, with proof from my iPhone’s app usage, they made an “one-time goodwill refund”. So of course, they never accepted that it was a fraudulent transaction.

Honestly, Revolut: We want to help you fix your problems and keep using and recommending your products as we’ve been doing for many years.

But this behavior and disregard for your clients’ security is totally unacceptable. If you keep pretending that there’s no problem, I’m interested in taking you to MasterCard, Visa and the Bank of Lithuania together with the other people in this thread that had to deal with this nonsense.

3 Likes

Btw, I am also living in Switzerland. Seems like the latest PUBG MOBILE fraud affected swiss accounts ?!

Let’s see if we can find a common denominator in the frauds.

I also talked to my mobile provider about two hours before the fraudulent transaction. But I did not share any sensitive information and they seemed legitimate, as they had access to my previous emails with customer support…

3 Likes

I also live in Switzerland and yesterday had exactly the same issue. I got charged $30.00 from “HydraProxy” on a disposable card. And of course I just got a negative answer from Revolut.

We couldn’t find any traces of fraudulent activity on your account. After a careful investigation, we’ve identified that the transaction(s) you’ve marked as unrecognised were made with a virtual disposable card. These cards are designed to be used once, and since the details of this card can only be accessed through the app, we cannot treat this transaction as unauthorised.

The app never asked me to confirm such a transaction and I just lost my money. It is sooo disappointing! :frowning:

2 Likes

I am also living in Switzerland…

1 Like

It starts to look more and more like an amateur college project than anything resembling a bank. I also got a “one-time goodwill refund”.

Revolut has not reverted their position that the transaction was authorized by me via the app, which in my eyes makes them the ones that attempted to commit fraud.

I am seriously thinking of pressing charges against them for an attempted fraud if after my formal complaint they still deny any wrongdoing and do not provide me with any access logs and details on the particular 3DS authorization

1 Like

This happened to me just now and this time the amount was 199.99 and it happened to my husband yesterday 99.99. Revolut closed his chargeback saying it was authorised by him. For both of us it was debited from virtual card.

One question is the transaction pending at merchant for everyone?

3 Likes

Hello everyone!

Wow something is going on here!
We are experiencing the the same issue!
Someone used my disposable card for PUGB Mobile and charged 199.99 USD from my account.
I am living in Switzerland too.

Requesting REVOLUT to take some action here!

This is really very obvious some security issue going on.

Please advise on how to prevent that.

4 Likes

You can deactivate disposable cards every time after using the feature.

(If you’ve got further questions, I suggest to read this thread. This option to prevent further damage was discussed here a couple times.)

Mine is still pending at the moment I wrote this comment…

Thank god I found this post. I thought I was going insane.

I also got charged for 49.99$ on a virtual disposable card on PUBG Mobile. I was literally sitting right next to my phone eating a piece of cake, when 30 minutes later I noticed the revolut notification. Luckily support refunded me, but I literally thought I was going insane.

Revolut needs to look into this security issue ASAP, because this is nuts.

I also live in Switzerland.

6 Likes