Fee for receiving USD?

I’m a UK account holder with a GBP and USD savings vault and USD account.

I’m going to be receiving USD on a monthly basis and not sure if to provide them with the ACH or swift. I assume I need to check with the payer first (UK based company) where they’ll be sending the USD from.

If I provide them with my ACH and account number will I be charged for receiving USD? Swift takes longer I believe. Guess it all depends on how and from where they are sending the USD from doesn’t it?

I see Wise have now introduced receiving fees which is a bit disappointing.

Thanks

Thanks

I try again to explain the situation from a different angle:

ACH are always domestic transfers. When the payer does not have a bank account in the US, they might feel inclined to use a service like Wise to facilitate the transfer. On average, ACH transfers take 1 to 3 days to clear.

SWIFT transfers use the SWIFT network, a messaging system. It would be a little odd, but this could be used for both domestic and international transfers. They take usually 1 to 4 days. Intermediary fees might occur.

Here’s where I can not hint you in any direction: ACH bank details are not available for Revolut customers in the EEA. But if Revolut charges you for incoming ACH transfers, it should be mentioned in their price list, no? The support chat should be able to give you reliable information about this.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I’ll see what the company plan to do. I do believe they have used wise and revolut to pay out Euros to some clients and USD for some services like Azure.

Awaiting for their input.
If in doubt we can try ACH (I do have ACH for my UK user USD pot), and then swift the next month to see which works out best.

I’ll keep this thread informed

Here‘s the problem: whichever details you provide to the payer might influence their decision about how to make the payment. I would just tell them that you could provide both. It also shouldn’t be too difficult to switch after the first month, no?

1 Like

Very true - they may well choose the one beneficial to them but not me, If their USD is originating from a domestic USD account then I believe the ACH would be better for me. They do have an office in the US so really don’t know yet how they will choose to pay me. They will let me know soon.

Yes I don’t foresee any issues to change after a month.

1 Like

For future reference, I would like to add that the information provided in Revolut’s Help Centre for UK customers regarding local USD bank accounts seem outdated and not correct.

Maybe something @Mariana_Rodrigues could look into? :v:

3 Likes

We do see ACH in the UK for receiving payments. I can see mine along with the other details within the app to receive US payments.

Account number
Wire number
ACH number

1 Like

That’s why I think the official UK FAQ page for local account details should reflect this.

1 Like

Hello everyone :wave:,

The fee is applicable for non-US users only. You will be able to receive domestic wire transfers through your local US account. A flat fee of 8 GBP/10 CHF/10 USD will be applied to each inbound wire transfer which will be covered by the recipients. Hope this helps. :pray:

Thank you for highlighting the FAQ @Frank. We’re looking into this. :star:

SG | Community Team

1 Like

Sorry for the dumb question but what is considered a domestic wire transfer?
Is swift not considered a ‘wire’ transfer? The word ‘wire’ always makes me think of old terminology.
International swift transfer or international ACH transfer?

Last year I made a few back and forth USD transfers between Wise and Revolut UK account USD pot.
Was only charged a 0.39 USD using ACH by Wise to send 1000 USD to Revolut.
Sent from Revolut to Wise, no charge.

Thanks

Domestic is same country.

sorry should have been more specific - I was referring to ‘wire’. Is Swift considered a ‘wire’ transfer or only the when using the Wire routing number as opposed to the ACH number?

Thanks

I assume this answers my own question:
ACH is not a wire transfer

Wire transfer vs. ACH: What’s the difference?
ACH transfers are transfers from bank to bank, whereas you can use a bank or a nonbank provider for wire transfers. Also, ACH transfers can take days, while domestic wire transfers may be completed in hours.

ACH transfers are also cheaper than domestic wire transfers. They’re generally either free or cost just a few dollars, whereas domestic wire transfers typically cost about $25 to send.

This is indeed tricky. Most US banks would differentiate between ACH and wire transfer. ACH is traditionally cheaper, and wire transfers don‘t rely on the ACH clearing infrastructure and are usually more expensive. But many consumers might refer to anything that‘s a bank transfer as a wire transfer. I’ve heard people talking about wire transfers when referring to Zelle transactions. And yes, banks might refer to a SWIFT transfer as an international wire transfer vs. domestic, which wouldn‘t use the SWIFT network.

ACH routing and wire routing numbers are often identical, so even when you‘re providing „ACH“ and „account no“ to someone, the transfer could be facilitated as ACH or wire transfer.

Wise for example charges for incoming wire transfers but not for incoming ACH transfers. For Revolut, this could be what they’re saying, but since they’re not mentioning ACH: who knows!

Fun fact: the reason why this is so complicated in the US compared to the UK and Europe is certainly one of the reasons why Zelle and Venmo are as successful as they are.

1 Like

Just looked at my account and they are not the same.
Good points raised thanks - this is why its never clear to me when wire transfer is mentioned. Always used iban and swift before.

Wise charge the 4.14 USD to receive wire transfers now but not from ach transfers. So I assume a Swift transfer will add that fee and is classified as a wire transfer.

Shame there is no faster payment system for USD yet.

There sort of is, it’s called Zelle. It’s operated and owned by the largest banks to pay bills and make cost effective bank transfers. It’s integrated in banking apps and online banking websites of participating banks, so one does not need an extra app like Venmo.

Hello !

Do Revolut receive ACH transfer in USD and Euro?
I’m sorry because I don’t understand a lot of this and my bank canceled receiving Euro ACH transfers and I wanted to open a Revolut account for that (and other things).

(Also, if anyone knows, can we switch between a classic Revolut account and a Revolut Freelancer account? I sent an email but apparently Revolut doesn’t want to answer me because I don’t have an account yet : it’s normal because I don’t 't know yet what to choose between the two options!)

1 Like

Hello @Franz ,

I can confirm that we accept inbound ACH transfers in USD. If the transfer is sent to you in EUR, these funds will be exchanged to USD by the institution who originated the payment. You will receive the payment in USD and we won’t perform any currency exchange.

As for our freelancer account, if you apply for a personal account, you will be able to apply for our Pro features to manage your freelancer finances from your Personal account.
If you expand your business or require more capabilities, applying for a Revolut Business account may be the best option.
Feel free to learn more about both accounts here: Revolut Pro Account | Revolut & Business Account Pricing | Revolut Business | Revolut (tapping freelancer).

Thank you.

Pere | Community Team

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your answer @PereViladrich !

1 Like

I am new to Revolut. Would the following scenario allow one to transfer from USD to EUR with no fees?

You have a USA address and USA commercial bank account and an Austrian address and Austrian commercial bank account.

Open a USA Revolut account and an Austrian based Revolut account.

1. Load from USA Bank to USA Revolut USD.: No Fees with ACH?
  2. Transfer from USA Revolut to Austrian Revolut in USD. - No Fees when transferring from Revolut to Revolut?
  3. Exchange USD to EUR in the Austrian Revolut app. - Ex rate only paid?
  4. Transfer from Austrian Revolut EUR to Austrian Bank. - No Fees with EEA?
1 Like