Apple Pay support

It will probably be challenging with Apple Pay. Apple certainly requires local restrictions. Cards issued by Revolut initially had a localization of GB. Now they have localization according to the country of client registration.

How to run Apple Pay? Exchange all physical cards? Run Apple Pay Only Through Virtual Cards And Change These Cards? But many users have virtual cards registered in e-shops, etc. Of course I would like Apple Pay, but I also understand that meeting Apple conditions is a challenging logistic operation.

Running Garmin Pay was easy. Garmin added to the list of banks all the countries where Revolut operates. Apple wonā€™t allow it.

Hey, Revolutā€™s definitely trying. Itā€™s good for his business. I like this bank, I believe them, opened up other dimensions of banking. Instead of reproach you might find another similar bank ā€¦

This could explain a delay of a few months. But not more. Revolut knows their usersā€™ country of residence. When a user tries to add a card to Apple Pay, the issuerā€™s backend (Revolut) is invoked and can simply deny signing up any cards of users not cleared by Apple.

Edit to be clear:
The actual card number / BIN does not matter at all:
card no ā†’ Revolut user ā†’ user information (country) + Apple ruleset ā†’ yes/no

1 Like

That is what I would figure. Deutsche Bank does it the same way. They issue a virtual debit Mastercard you can add to Apple Pay (if you do not have a MasterCard already with them). I think :r: will go a similar route - you create a new virtual Card and add that one to Apple Pay.

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that Revolut will do the same as Deutsche Bank. Linking an Apple Pay card to a physical card, together with the physical cardā€™s security settings, would be illogical.

3 Likes

Could still work tho - the Apple Pay card has different details or rather a different token so it might be treated differently. But yeah I would also prefer the separate virtual card route. Too bad I wonā€™t see my shiny black card in there then. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Yes, thatā€™s a technical solution. And I think Revolut will do that. He will have to explain to customers that he must create a new virtual card. Another problem is the VISA cards where the VISA-Revolut agreement is being dealt with. The VISA card was issued until the autumn of 2018.

It should be noted that, for example, in the Czech Republic, banks were banned from talking about Apple Pay until the start date. It was forbidden to confirm the launch of Apple Pay.

I will not change the view that blame is not only on Revolut.

1 Like

Hey, the Metal tab is displayed in Garmin Pay. The new metal card has localization outside GB. She will go to the wallet and appear.

Well, maybe we can create virtual Metal cards then. That would be something. :grin:

2 Likes

Umm no. Thereā€™s no technical advantage whatsoever (and even less a logical). I have four Apple Pay cards, all physical.

Yes, I have 3 physical cards (Czech bank) and 1 virtual card (boon.).

Metal Card wanted to allow Internet payments for Garmin Pay setup. Then they could be disabled.

I have 9 Apple Pay cards, of which 8 are representations of physical cards. But in Revolutā€™s case, it makes sense for Apple Pay cards to be independent of physical cards because:

• The same Revolut account can have multiple cards, physical and virtual, each with its own security settings.
  • The security settings on Apple Pay are inherently different from a physical card. For example, the contactless part would always be enabled in the same way as chip & PIN is always enabled, as both have two-factor authentication, negating any need to disable them.
  • Thereā€™s no need to enable or disable cash withdrawals and swipe for Apple Pay.
  • Revolut is app-based and doesnā€™t need to follow the model of traditional physical card issuers.
  • Many Revolut customers will want an Apple Pay card without paying for delivery of a physical card. This increases adoption of Revolut.

Yes. I agree. A virtual card is enough. This could speed up the realization of Apple Pay.

But we have physical cards. It seems to me you are thinking about this the wrong way: Apple Pay first, and then of course you donā€™t need some of these features. But if you have the cards first, like we do, Apple Pay is just a logical add-on, just like contactless, or swipe. You have the card. And just like you can register cards with online shops and subscriptions you can register the card with your phone or watch.

If Apple Pay had unique features of its own, then by all means create separately managed entities. But it has not, it just represents an ordinary card and thatā€™s it. You would, however, lose one level of indirection for other features. For example, if cards could be linked to joint accounts or could be attached to vaults, you would have to duplicate these links with additional Apple Pay cards instead of just attaching Apple Pay to whatever setup you otherwise have.

Besides, even with Apple Pay there are countries requiring PIN. Which is best handled by not handling it at all: Just let users use whichever card they like with Apple Pay and you never have to decide whether certain features are useful and/or how they would have to be implemented with Apple Pay. Less complicated for everyone.

I think you are thinking about this in a traditional way instead of thinking about how it would be optimally designed from scratch. Fintechs usually design functionality optimally from scratch rather than replicating traditional methods.

Unfortunately, there is not much to speed up as there are no technical issues to solve here. It must be about negotiations and the terms Apple dictates, there is no other explanation.

I see your point. But since I have three physical Revolut cards it is moot. I really just want to add one, I donā€™t need even more things to manage.

I absolutely agree that if they just raised series A or B funding they should go with just virtual cards. Also, thereā€™s nothing wrong with adding Apple Pay to existing (or new) virtual cards. But thereā€™s also nothing wrong with adding it to existing or new physical cards.

Edit: BTW, ā€œoptimally designed from scratchā€ is quite funny when talking about the card industry. It is basically completely broken with so many players earning money for nothing but routing a few data packets, there really is no way to do anything optimal.

Sure. I certainly think so. This is delayed by Appleā€™s requirements (fee, regional restrictions, etc.), not Revolut. Itā€™s business. Itā€™s not a game.

1 Like

There is for cash withdrawals. There are ATMs in some of the European countries now that accept contactless for withdrawals :wink:

3 Likes

Monese has all the cards issued in UK with UK BIN number and they allow Apple Pay wherever you reside. So that is not the problem.