Who uses Revolut as main account 2023?

As it is 2023 Revolut has grown up in the last five years and now become a serious competitor for major legacy/traditional banks.

So my question is do you use Revolut as your main account and if yes since when and in which country? And I am also interested in the reasons behind of course.

5 Likes

This is a nice question @Youssf. I am also eager to know the answers. :star_struck:

SG | Community Team

2 Likes

I do for the most part, UK here.

No joint account facility here yet, nor overdraft/credit card which remain with another fintech for now.

Awaiting Revolut and their banking licence but seems a reality that isn’t going to come true.

To merge Vaults and Pockets would be great for me, and/or the option to Schedule withdrawals from Vaults to gain interest while waiting for bills to come out.

Option to also allocate received payments from external bill splits direct from transaction would be great!

Phone insurance really needs to be added to the packages.

For Pros:

Gold and Platinum Ultra cards

Analytics is good

Simple platform to manage payments, Pockets and Vaults

Merchant data significantly improving as time goes on

Supported by most open banking platforms

3 Likes

I use Revolut as main and only account. I am from Berlin, Germany. I had my account at the Commerzbank before, they took 4,90€/month and had a percentaged extra fee per amount for usage of the debit card in foreign countries. Most of the german banks are old-fashioned and are running against the clock, with no innovations. I also never needed local bank offices.

4 Likes

No way!

@Kamika242: I assume there are banks, even in Germany, that offer free accounts. And pay interests, offer real credit cards and offer better support, etc.

Sorry, at the moment :r: is only usable as an additional account.

1 Like

@zapata, the most german banks require a minimum of incoming money per month to have a free account and every bank has these stupid 1.5 or 2% fee for card transactions in foreign countries, even fintechs like N26.
Further example for old-fashioned german banks: The “Postbank” these days introduces the possibility to pay with Google Pay, after years Google Pay exists and german banks are not able to develop an own, overreaching european payment system. The banking app of the “Commerzbank” has no dark-mode, they promise since years to provide one.
Little things, but in summary …

Im very fine with my Revolut only account, since 9 months now.

3 Likes

The tip to not put all your eggs in one basket is older than fintechs are. I am a Revolut customer since 2015. My account was never frozen or restricted in any way. I had my fair share of bugs and hiccups, but nothing to write home about. I would never rely on one account only. It’s so easy and cheap (free) to have at least one backup. Even if it’s not Revolut causing the service interruption, it’s good to have access to a Notgroschen. The tip to not rely on one payment card when travelling for example is as old as payment cards themself. And it’s undeniable that fintechs, all of them, are less robust in this context.

3 Likes

@Frank, I do not travel often, I am not a “holiday guy”, so for Germany or the one or the other weekend visiting a european capital city only one account is sufficient.
My “Notgroschen” :grin: is a little bit of cash.

4 Likes

Wow, interesting conversations. I love it. :heart_eyes:

Where are others? :thinking: Come on! We are waiting to hear from others as well. :star_struck:

SG | Community Team

2 Likes

My three main accounts are all fintech. I have access to high street accounts but don’t use them at all.

Starling, Monzo, Revolut. The high street really needs to up their game.

4 Likes

I use Bunq as my main account, that I receive my salary into. Revolut is second. I use it mainly for transfers and <18, some purchases here and there.
To be honest I don’t trust it with my salary. But my boyfriend received his salary into Revolut for 8 months with no issues. He just recently switched to a German bank account HVB. Not really thrilled with it but it is free for the first 2 years.

2 Likes

Hey @TamaraTammy :wave: ,

Hope you are doing well. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope someday you will trust us with your salary. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

SG | Community Team

2 Likes

I hope you are doing well too, we’ll see about the salary in the future but so far I’m really considering ultra as for me it would definitely be a benefit.

Then I might move more money through Revolut on a monthly basis as it is.

:smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s great to hear that @TamaraTammy. Keep exploring our community. You will love it. :heart_decoration:

SG | Community Team

2 Likes

I wish I could use Revolut was my main account but it just arrived in Brazil and is incomplete for a bank here.

It lack basically functionalities like PIX, boleto (bills) payments and even a debit card that works with the BRL account, I got more details on another post Brazilian Feedbacks & Comments

Honestly I won’t leave my traditional (itaú) bank, they works create for me, doesn’t bothers me with annoyances and I’m already accustomed with their particularities.

But paying 5% spread + 6.38% taxes on all foreign cards transactions, that’s where Revolut comes to save the day!
If revolut had a credit card issued in another country so I won’t had to pay 6.38% taxes and could simple use my Revolut account paying only 1.1% taxes on the conversion, would be a perfect card for international purchases for Brazilians.

At least your debit card works on website for non presencial transactions, default Brazilian debit cards rarely work for non presencial transactions and the few websites/services that accepts debit cards here have specific bank agreements and if accepting more than one bank debit card is basically a miracle.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this with us @Eudes. :heart_decoration: We are trying to stremline our products in Brazil. Stay tuned. :rocket:

SG | Community Team

1 Like

Understanding the Brazilian bank particularities isn’t for most foreign banks, the only one who did it properly was Santander, and just because they bought a beloved Brazilian bank (Banco Real), switched the name but let they operate on their own way instead trying to force the European banking style here.

Not that Satãnder (was is named by a few) is perfect, there’s no such thing, but from international bank that are usable by people on everyday, they are the only big known one remaining.

HSBC sold operations to Bradesco and I’m pretty sure that most costumers when migrated to Bradesco switched to another bank.
Citibank sold to itaĂş, for me itaĂş is ok, they were nice to me, the less worse bank here.

I want Revolut to have success here, the international currency is something that will attract people, but if focus only on that will be like Wise, being only used for travel or international bank transfers, but not was a everyday bank.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Revolut Supported Countries

I use Revolut as my main travel account
With auto top up
So if Revolut has technical problems, or my account are frozen for the 4 times.
I can still pay for my hotel, food, ETC

1 Like

I am using Revolut since January 2018. I work in Switzerland and live in Germany so I transfer my salary via Wise to Revolut and then I exchange my salary with Revolut to EUR. This without any additional fees except the plan fee for Revolut. I also have a Revolut joint account with my wife and my daughters have a <18 Revolut account. I am using my Revolut account for 99% of my spendings. I wish I could use it as my only main account but the 1% missing is because of the lack of a local german IBAN because there are some old fashioned domestic suppliers in Germany like power and gas suppliers for example which do not accept the LT IBAN for the direct debit authorization and the lack of the personal CH IBAN in Revolut in order to receive my salary in Swiss Francs via Revolut.

3 Likes