Top up fees charged by Revolut

The reason is regulation. It’s no longer allowed to charge a fee for credit cards while debit is free despite higher costs for them. So they made EUR credit cards free, while notoriously expensive business cards and more expensive cards issued outside EU are not free anymore.

It’s actually not per se EUR cards that are free now. It’s cards that are issued in EEA countries. So not depending on the currency.

That’s right. Thanks for clarifying.

I have a debit card in RON and I was charged for top up. How those fees could be refunded? Or the free top up for EE customers is just a lie?

If the card is issued out of EU, revolut charges fees to top up :((

Top-ups in RON should be free, unless: “[…] you top up with a card that was not issued within the European Economic Area (a US-issued card for example) or with a commercial card, we may charge you a small fee to cover our costs. In these cases, it might be cheaper for you to top up by bank transfer.” (source).

If none of the above apply, you should ask for a refund by submitting the relevant documents to the Support Team.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue. I have an EUR debit card issued in Slovakia which is an Eurozone EEA country. I have a top up fee and I always have to chat with an operator to have a refund. This is extremely annoying, but at least the money is refunded.

Still I hope the management will put some priority to this issue, because this makes the free topup cumbersome

1 Like

That’s really frustrating. I think the Czechs recently got rid of this, so something may come for you guys as well! :slight_smile:

As he said, its currency-irrelevant, but country (EEA) relevant.
I’ve done about 5 top-ups 'til now with my BG issued USD VISA card, ranging from 10$ to 600$, and haven’t goten any fees for it.

Dear all,
I am facing a similar issue. I am Portuguese citizen, living in paris. My iban is French.

Recently I travelled to Cyprus (9999another EU country. When I top up my revolut card using a Portuguese credit card, the revolut system matched my card with UK revolut and thus my Portuguese bank charged me fees because it was a payment/transfer to outside the UE.
I spoke to revolut assistance, and they told me it is the revolut system that is to blame, and yet no refund of fees charged by my Portuguese bank and no solution has been offered.
Recently, I made another top up. I was back to france where I lived and the same issue happened.
I use revolut to avoid fees being charged while using the card, and now I am being charged fees before I use the revolutcard and does not match my card, when the address linked to it is located in France, I have a French iban, I am EU citizen never lived in UK, traveling within the EU and the system is matching it to UK revolut instead of another Revolut within the EU ( such as IE, Lithuania where they have a bank).

What’s causing the fee with your Portuguese bank is the location of the payment processing, not your registered address for the account or your actual physical location.

Think of card top ups as shopping online. When you’re shopping at an online shop in the UK, your Portuguese bank is going to charge you this fee. So what’s happening here — as far as I understand the situation based on your description — is that your Portuguese bank considers the „merchant“, Revolut’s payment processing, as outside the UK.

Which is a little weird, because my bank thinks Revolut is in Ireland when it comes to card top ups.

Here’s what I would do: I would talk to the Portuguese bank and ask them to confirm the address of the merchant for the transactions in question. Revolut’s support then might be able to confirm this.

Thank you Frank. But I don’t think this is something I can solve with my Portuguese bank. Before these two transactions occurred, my top-ups were always related to revolut IE like yours and thus I was never charged fees.

In March 2022, shortly before traveling to Cyprus I made a top-up of a significant amount and this was fine. then in April and May something has changed, the merchant “revolut” was identified as belonging to the UK and no longer from IE or from other EU country.
Whatever happened, it was not my responsibility, as I toped-up my revolut card in the same way.

When the first time happened, I spoke to Revolut assistance and they told me that this was an automatic match of the revolut system. So, I asked them to try to solve the issue or to tell me what I could do to avoid such fees to be charged again.No answer!

In fact, they told me this was due to the location where I was in. I.e. if I would top-up from France the system would match it with revolut IE and, for some reason that I was not told as revolut Assistance did not say, if I toped-up from Cyprus the system automatically matched it with the UK revolut.

When I came back to Paris, I thought the issue was solved (since I had returned to France) and thus I toped-up again.However, surprisingly I was charged fees again because the system matched it again with revolut Uk.Thus my furious reaction.

At the end, the fees charged by my Portuguese bank defeats the purpose of using revolut. Because if I pay fees every time I top up, there is no reason to use the revolut card later to avoid fees costs. As I will pay fees upfront.

This is a responsibility from revolut, who should match the top-ups merchant with the location where your account/iban is located. Or at least, inform us before we top-up that we may incur into costs because the merchant is located in the UK.

Revolut did neither. And they cannot even argue that they were not aware of the situation because I reported this issue the first time I got charged fees.

This really is odd. This definitely wasn’t location based, but based on where you account is registered. I live in the EU and the UK, and I use card top ups frequently in both places. I will have an eye on this and see if I can replicate this next time I am in the UK, in about 10 days.

They did change something in April 2022. Before my top-ups was treated as coming from Lithuania. Starting April - Ireland. I have not changed my location which is in EU.

This change makes no difference in my case anyway.

@Eduardo: Can’t you just use SEPA transfer to avoid fees for top-ups? Or Portuguese banks are evil (fees) there too? :thinking:

p.s. If you have portuguese residence address you can sign up and use local fintech - moey.pt they dont have fees (yet).