The Ultimate Free ATM List - Travelling (by country)

I think that it’s better to avoid euronet boxes everywhere… :warning:

5 Likes

Hey! I just tried to withdraw cash from 5 different ATMs in Greece (Pireaus, Eurobank, National Bank of Greece, Alpha Bank and Attica Bank) with both a Visa and a Mastercard (the former issued just about a month ago and the latter issued in 2019) and I’m afraid none of the above offer free withdrawals. Attica Bank charges the lowest at 2 Euros and I just wanted to let you know so you can update the list! The rest I mentioned where anywhere between 2 and 3 Euros. (Yes Pireaus is still the most expensive of the bunch, maybe second to Euronet but I’m not going near these things.)
Cheers and thank you for making this list!

1 Like

Right. Unfortunately Greece looks as very sad case of country, where is not any free ATM anymore :cry: :greece:

…so at least I hope that those fees will not go over €2 in future

1 Like

Does Greece also charge for local cards?

I think this case is just about foreign cards. I don’t know terms for local cards there. Maybe free…

Honestly there’s a possbility, Greece was very strictly putting in capital controls to avoid their banks becoming insolvent and all the money being funneled to non-Greek banks (because trust fell in Greece as the economy was in tatters)

As a result I doubt they’d want any cash used by residents potentially aiming to take it abroad or to move it into a non-domestic bank, so I imagine there’d be a fee and a maximum withdrawal; I obviously can’t confirm this, but it makes sense I think

There were severe capital controls in 2015-16 but those have since been lifted if I remember correctly.
I think this is more like Thailand - they have (or at least had, prior to SARS-CoV-2) a lot of tourists, and their banks want to make some money on them.
So I think this is more directed towards non Greek cardholders.
Still, there are a number of €-zone countries where you have to pay for ATM withdraval (or when using the ATM of a different bank of your own) so it might be that also some Greek cards are charged.

Slovenia, intesa sanpaolo bank was free of charge.

2 Likes

Update:
VUB Slovakia is free with Revolut MC issued for Poland (as well as with “British” C***e MC)– tested 30.06.2020. In both cases as far as I remember there was no DCC to be rejected.

Hi there!
Here you are some update from Albania :albania: (end of August 2020).
MC issued for Poland. ATMs are located in Tirana Airport, arrivals/luggage claim area.
“otpbank” no warning about fees during cash withdrawal, but transaction has been rejected without issue description.
“Banka Kombetare Tregtare - BKT” no problems at all, free of charge.

I tested with Revolution MC. Same fee of 125 CZK.

Tried K banka, CSOB and Ceska sporitelna with Revolution MC today.
CSOB with a fair DCC dialogue (offering USD!?) and no fee gave me 200 CZK, KB with minimum amount of 500 CZK (I canceled), Ceska with mentioned fee (never ever).

Confirming, VUB in Slovakia, MC Card issued for UK, no fee in August 2020

I can confirm that i used used Revolut MC on Komerční banka ATM (KČ / Société Générale Group) with no fee.

1 Like

Portugal. September 2020. Faro airport Santander 0.30 EUR fees. Lagos Millenium BCP 1 EUR fees. These are on weekdays.

1 Like

Sweden: Bankomat (September 2020) no fee with Mastercard

I have been charged 10e in ATM in Latvia why than everyone said that is free

Maybe you have hit monthly limit…
Was it Revolut’s fee or ATM’s?

@Dace - Tested withdrawal today in Latvia (02/10/2020) with Revolut VISA specially for you from first ATM which I saw on my way.
It was Luminor bank ATM.
There was no any addition charges!

Dace, naudas izņemšanas limits standarta revolut kontiem ir 200euro 30 dienu laikā. Ja no tevis paņēma komisiju 10euro, tad visdrīzāk tas nozīmē, ka tu pārsniedzi šo limitu, respektīvi, izņēmi 200(bezmaksas)+500(2% komisija), kopā 700euro.

Erste Bank in Vienna, Austria charged me 4.30 euro for a withdrawal. Avoid!