Strange conversion question at the ATM

Isn’t it only with some ATM ? I paid 5€ when I wanted to withdraw 20€ with a Credit Agricole ATM when I have no fees with all others bank ATM

Every cash point I try to use, I am warned my card issuer may charge fees and if am I happy to proceed. I proceeded last time assuming I wouldn’t be charged, because there is no reason to charge me. I was charged in USD for the GBP withdrawal. I just want to know why it charged me in USD when I used a UK cash point and yes my card is registered to a UK address?

The easiest explanation would be that the ATM wrongly recognises your card as a USD card and offers you DCC (dynamic currency conversion) and charges you in USD.

That’s just a guess. The support should be able to explain what’s actually going on or feel free to share a screenshot of the transaction, so that others could have a look.

Yes, this may be the explanation but it is of course completely unacceptable. He says that support have been ‘utterly useless’. If someone higher up the chain at Revolut is reading this then s/he should step in and do something in order to put all our minds at rest.

Revolut doesn’t provide any support here.

Revolut also can provide very limited support when a merchant wrongly recognizes a card. The most common reason for this is that the merchant or its payment service provider uses outdated BIN databases.

What I would do first is check if the problem is isolated. Do other merchants recognize the card as USD as well? Other ATM providers?

Well he did say that the problem occurs at ‘Every cash point I try to use’, may all belong to the same bank but I somewhat doubt it.

I did also ask to know which currency accounts he holds, the situation would certainly appear even more strange if he only has GBP. Also, when was the current card issued?

That’s irrelevant for narrowing down the initial problem. It’s only relevant in which currency the ATM provider charges you. When you’re holding only GBP (my assumption for the case at hand), you would accumulate even more costs. GBP → USD (DCC by the ATM operator) and then USD → GBP on Revolut‘s platform.

I would have thought it was quite relevant if the ATM operator does not apply DCC or are you saying that every single cashpoint in the UK will apply DCC?

Based on the information that osmichael28 has provided I cannot see why the card should be recognised as a USD one and it seems unlikely, although not impossible, that every single payment service provider uses outdated BIN databases.

In any event, I appreciate that Revolut does not provide support here but the forum is moderated by members of its team (read ‘employees’?) and when issues like this are raised they should investigate or ask their colleagues to investigate immediately. Surely that is just standard sound business practice?

ATM operators only offer DCC if they assume the card is denominated in a currency other than GBP. And that’s done based on BINs.

This whole discussion is very theoretical. Without further details like a screenshot showing the transaction and fee informations, we currently have no idea how the costs actually arose.

If it’s indeed DCC, then like I said: my first thing to do would be to systematically test the card with a variety of merchants and ATMs to see if it’s an isolated problem or more general.

(In my experience, Revolut does currently not provide the kind of feedback or customer engagement here in this forum that you’re hoping for. If you want further confirmation for this, just check the time stamps of employee responses.)

Yes, I agree we really need more details, however, even when we get them, it is down to Revolut to sort things out (assuming of course it is in some way responsible).

As for customer engagement, I also agree but staff could quite easily contact the user privately to offer assistance if they want to keep the rest of us in the dark. I must admit that on the few occasions I have had to contact customer support using the app they did reply quite promptly and mostly resolved my queries, although even now I still have one issue outstanding where a prominent Italian payment provider will not accept Revolut for online transactions, but that’s another story …