Please add Amex Support!

Hi

It would be great if I would be able to transfer money from an American Express Card to the Revolut account! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Or a Chinese bank, that would be nice.

Oops no, this is the Revolut app for Revolut cards. Amex probably do an app for you…

I mean transfer the money from an Amex card to your revolut account

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree this but I do appreciate why they haven’t.

When you are a merchant accepting Amex, you have to set up an agreement with them directly and their fees are considerable more than Visa or MasterCard.

I would happily as a customer, pay the extra fees for accepting Amex, as those fees are peanuts compared to the extra benefits I get, like Air miles.

But, new regulations are coming in, which stop companies adding Credit Card surcharges or fees, so the company has to swallow those costs now, or find a way to charge them, by, I don’t know, calling them something else! lol!

1 Like

I suppose it can be called “refill fee” and when you refill by other means the fee is “discounted” to 0

Any news about Amex support?
Would be great if this could be added, although there might be higher charges which we would need to pay

So far no news, pretty sad, revolut pushes out new Updates almost weekly but they didn’t add the American Express top-up functionality.

1 Like

Diners Club as well, but the problem remains that they have to incur higher charges for accepting amex and Diners payment methods. So it’s not feasable!

2 Likes

Have a look at that: Amex vs. Visa & MC

So, in Germany e.g. I very, very see that Amex ist accepted. There’s just no market for it in Europe.

The expansion to US may change that but… soon. :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

You made a very good point that expansion to USA may change that but there is a possibility that it might not be completely free for amex. Anyways this idea is very concrete and possible :wink:

American Express has a lot more restrictions for the categories where their cards can be used which might restrict this application.

1 Like

No. This is certainly not a problem. If Revolut’s system accepts amex, then amex certainly has no problem with it. Many mobile wallets accept amex to load money and recently, even “Curve” announced Amex support so don’t worry about it.

I understand that Amex may have a little higher fees than Visa or Mastercard, but without Amex support, me and other Amex owners don’t want to use Revolut. With Amex support, I would totally use Revolut and a other Amex owners would too. So it’s net win!

That didn’t work out well!

You’re all assuming that American Express would treat Revolut top-ups as normal purchases, as opposed to as money purchases (like a cash withdrawal). Diners Club UK charges for Revolut top-ups at 2.99% with a minimum £3 fee.

I don’t believe that the way that Amex treats Curve top-ups is relevant. Curve allowed a balance created by an Amex top-up to be used only for purchases of goods and services, so it’s possible that Curve used a normal goods and services transaction code on Amex top-ups, rather than a money purchase transaction code.

Didnt know Diners works for Revolut top-up. I have to check it… :thinking:

It’s using the accompanying MasterCard that comes with the Diners Club card for Miles & More:

https://www.milesandmorecards.co.uk/

1 Like

little higher fees than Visa or Mastercard

Just a little… little little… :slight_smile:

You’re basically asking Revolut to lose money because AMEX customers want to earn more from their AMEX cards.

Even putting a fee on AMEX top-ups could be useless since Curve did something similar and AMEX broke the deal with them.

1 Like

Since 13th January 2018, a surcharge on top of the transaction amount would breach Article 62(4) of Directive (EU) 2015/2366, which is enacted in the UK under Regulation 6A(1) of the Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012. I’m not sure how or whether Curve found a loophole to get around this legislation.

1 Like