Paypal topup using GPay

As said already please contact the support via chat /Twitter. They don’t read here and I’m pretty sure if enough people complain they will prioritize it.

I used to top up my Revolut always with Paypal through Gpay but since last 2 or 3 weeks it stopped working. I now get this message “There are no accepted cards available for use with this merchant”

topping up revolut via google pay connected paypal direct debit from German bank accounts worked flawlessly in the past years.

However 10 days ago, mid October 2021 the paypal direct debit via google pay can’t be used anymore to top up revolut: “There are no accepted cards available for use with this merchant” message after choosing gpay to top up respectively the paypal payment method is greyed out in the gpay payment method selection list on the final top-up-confirmation dialogue with the subtext “not accepted here”)

This is a general issue, many other revolut users from Germany report this issue, too since a few days.

Could you please fix this?

It has already been down in the past from end of December 2020 up to January 9th 2021.

1 Like

This almost sounds like Paypal is blocking this.

Since Revolut is the merchant here, my first guess would be that Gpay / Papal is blocking this. It would make sense for me, since Revolut would allow you to cash out money before the direct debit is settled, and direct debits can easily be reverted, direct debits aren’t guaranteed like card payments usually are. Did you check Paypal’s T&Cs if there’s any indication that financial services, brokers, et cetera, are excluded?

1 Like

Anyone from Revolut can answer that question or not?
Why is it suddenly not possible to use PayPal after years of successful usage?
That makes Revolut obsolete for me. I used it only because of possibility to top up my account with PayPal. The stand now i can close the account because it’s of no use for me.

Do I have to start a chat in the app to get any answers?

2 Likes

Hello y’all,
same issue here.
I’m on a trip abroad for a year and relied on Revolut.
Unfortunately I’m not able to topup my account anymore because PayPal is “not accepted here”.

What a pity.

The customer service has literally no statment to this issue except from there are some “security issues”

I feel like Revolut is not too reliable.

4 Likes

Try Klarna sofort instead if possible, works for me as a good work around :smile:

I reconnected paypal to gpay again today, as I’ve read messages of other users that the service works again for them, and yes It works for me, too now again.

The regular outages for a few weeks every year or so are annoying, however.

How can we add PayPal to Gpay exactly?!? :thinking:

using the paypal app, there is a item “Google Pay”

Not on mine (in Italy). I see only credit cards & bank accounts… :neutral_face:

AFAIK this option is only available here in Germany, as the credit card penetration rate has been traditionally extremely low there and accessing German bank accounts via Paypal direct debit was an additional attractive way for Google Pay to access the German market with a much broader customer base when they entered the German market about four years ago.

1 Like

Technically Paypal issues a virtual debit card that is then integrated with Gpay. To avoid merchant fees, Paypal then charges payments with this card as direct debits.

2 Likes

I met the same problem problem a few days ago. Interesting, it worked actually first time I registered Revolut and top up using Gpay back in 2021. Last week I logged in in Revolut and saw GPay button became inactive (you click it and nothing happens), a few minutes later the button just disappeared. Sadly, Revolut’s support couldn’t do anything…

Just curious if there has been a resolution as we are now having the same issue…

Until mid-January 2022, Revolut top-ups were normally done with Google Pay (via PayPal (linked to a Deutsche Bank account)). There were never any issues. However, this method of topping up has stopped working for two users in my family.
With the failed top-up, a pop-up appears with the prompt: ‘There was a problem with your transaction. Please try adding funds with a different method’.

I have contacted Google Pay, PayPal and Revolut, however, I have not received any resolution, hence the Revolut card is now useless.

As we would obviously like to continue using the cards, I would be grateful to hear of how this issue can be resolved. Thanks!

All details point into the direction that Paypal doesn’t want cash advance transactions to Revolut being processed that are funded with direct debit. Maybe it turned out to be too risky for them.

i#It seems to be an everlasting ping pong game; topping up Revolut with Gpay via Paypal using direct debit in Germany works again since around May 20th

I’ve just tried it for the first time and it is not working! I have a variety of debit and credit cards plus Paypal set up in GPay.

If I click top up with GPay it says there are no valid payment options!! What is up with that? A ticket for their support is required

I topped-up three times in the last 4 weeks using GPay with Paypal via direct debit (German bank account). No problems instead the first time when the money took a couple of hours to appear in Revolut (but this day Revolut had some known technical issues)

Has anyone with Paypal UK and Barclays been able to top up using GPay on Revolut?

Thought I would try again - My Gpay had Paypal as the default payment method - Barclays account default in Paypal.

Click on the Gpay button in my revolut app and it does not work still.

Having to manually add money is getting tiresome. The automatic top-up does not work with Barclays either.
Possibly they have security measures in place to prevent this.