n00b Questions

My Revolut says that my top up limit is 250 euro a year. Does that mean I can only put in 250 euro onto my Revolut account a year? I want to put in like 400 euro for my trip to Budapest.

Also, when I made my account, it was asking for a post code but Ireland does not have post codes. On the FAQ, it says that if I put in the wrong billing postcode that my top up will fail…But if Ireland has no post codes and I was forced to put a postcode…

I used my eircode as a post code. Unlike other countries, where postcodes define clusters or groups of addresses, an Eircode will identify an individual address – rural or urban – and help show exactly where it is located.

Lastly, am I to keep my currency in euro and just spend in HUF when I go to Budapest or am I to change my euro to HUF before I get there and switch it back to euro when I get back, if there’s any money left over. Only heard about Revolut today but it was a two hour wait to contact a live agent so my questions remain unanswered.

• You can verify your identity / income via Support to get your limit raised.
  • Previous posters have used Eircode and all was fine.
  • You do not need to change from Euro to HUF, revolut will do the conversion for you. only reason you may want to convert any money to HUF is to lock in the transfer rates.

Revolut is a great service but be aware that customer service response is poor at best, lengthy waits to speak to agents are normal.

3 Likes

If I switch to HUF, it is commission free and I could switch it back to euro for free?

Also, my understanding is I can use the card as many times as I want, given I have funds in it, but can’t take out more than €200 with the free card without being charged 2%, am I correct?

Has anyone had issues using the card in Hungary?

• There are no commisson fees when switching currencies just the weekend markup which you should be aware of (0.5% mark up on major currencies and 1.0% on other currencies).
  • Card transactions are free but any cash withdrawn over €200 per rolling month is charged 2%. Cash withdrawals from ATMs are limited to €5,000 or equivalent per day.
  • There are many posts regarding usage in Hungary if you do a simple forum search. i dont see any that flag up any major issues.
2 Likes