Gas stations: make it possible to pay at gas stations that pre-authorize 🚗

That’s correct. Still @DeXeD suggested that it takes considerably longer with Revolut than with other cards – that also show pending transactions in realtime – until funds become available again.

To really make a sound proof of that, you would need to do, at the same time and site, a transaction with Revolut and another card. It can also be a delay caused by the merchants systems and/or delayed finalization. This would hit any other card in the same way

Of course. You might want to check out @DeXeD post about this and discuss this with him. My opinion about this is that I wouldn’t rule out that Revolut could improve the situation. Not more. Not less. :wink:

1 Like

If the issue is the same as it has been here we are talking 1-3 days before the reservation is released and final charge is done.

This used to be the case no matter what card i used, since about a year so i just opted for creditcard until the payments processors / gas companies / mastercard / visa manage to get this to work correctly.

I dont plan to use a debit card for fuel anyhow - seems troublesom.

1 Like

I was just answering to another post which states that. I still haven’t tried Revolut at gas station.

In the UK ALL major pay at pump petrol stations only pre-authorise £1 from your debit/credit card and depending on where you are filling up it allows for up to £99 or £100 (with ASDA). Then after you have put your fuel in the merchant then uses the authorization code from the £1 preauth to charge whatever amount of fuel that has been taken. The full anount then usually takes a couple of working days to debit your account depending who you bank with so technically you can fill your cars fuel tank up to the value of £99/£100 and are only initially charged £1 at the time of filling up but if the money isn’t in your bank account when it debuts a few days later your account will go overdrawn and the bank will charge you an unauthorised overdraft usage fee if you don’t have an arranged overdraft. The only petrol/gas station in the UK where this doesn’t work is Costco as they automatically pre-authorise £100 from your card no matter how much fuel you are putting in but for all the others all you need is £1 in your account and it will go through unless you have a Visa Electron which not all petrol stations accept at their pay at pumps but the ones that do accept Visa Electron they will pre-authorise £50 for Electron cards whereas the rest is still just £1. Just don’t forget to ensure you have the funds available for when the full amount debits a few days later to avoid any unwanted charges from the bank or better still let it mislead you into thinking you’ve got more money available to spend than you first though because it will debit your account a few days later.

Today I tried to us my card to get petrol at an ASDA. I tried pay at pump and at the kiosk but it was declined. I definitely had sufficient funds in the account too. Any ideas?

First, check the app for transaction details, to see if it tells you the reason for why it was declined. If that doesn’t help, support might be able to give you more details about the refused transaction.

September 2021

It did not work at a (unmanned) gas station in Spain.

You might want to contact support and maybe replace your card if your card was issued a while back. You could also check with a virtual card and Apple Pay / Google Pay and see if that improves acceptance — in case ticket machines or card terminals support contactless payments.

It works perfectly at gas stations in France.

Over the years, Revolut had a bunch of different card processors involved and changed card configuration. Could be an isolated problem with a prepaid card before Revolut switched to debit or with a specific BIN range that’s not properly recognized.

I have been using it in the gas stations in US. It always works well. In fact, now I see the hold amount gets udpated with the actual amount within an hour.

However I still can’t use my :r: card to rent a car in the US (pre-pandemic).

Accurate, same on my end (takes up to a day though).

1 Like

Umm. I never tried it here. Did you get an error message when you tried to use Revolut card?

When renting directly from big brands like Sixt, you can check beforehand if they’re going to accept debit cards for the deposit. Select the station, then a car. After that, individual conditions for that car and station specify the type of cards that are accepted. Usually, debit is good for small and mid sized cars, and credit is necessary for more expensive cars.

Thanks for the heads up. My issue was that the card was accepted on the website (two different rental big brands) to kind of hold the funds and save my card details.

• The first time I was able to use another card (Debit Gold Visa) instead at pickup. Just an annoying waste of time but nothing dramatic.
  • The second time though, it was supposed to be a discount rental company (had dollar in the name). They told me even my backup card (same Debit Gold Visa) was not matching their criteria (most likely what you said about a credit card needed).
    The most frustrating is they would just reject my money, and not even take cash…
    This “discount” rental told me the price they were offering when I booked the car could only remain valid by using a US credit card (which I didn’t have).
    As I was not able to fully complete the reservation on site, I was told they had to cancel it and generate a brand new one, coming with a nice last minute -in your face- price tag.
    In the end they charged me twice the online price I booked plus extra fees BUT accepted my Debit Gold Visa.

Regarding :r: my guess is they still consider it only as a prepaid, hence them rejecting it.

Ps: I used Turo last summer and was happy to successfully use my :r: card!
However I really don’t get how foreigners are supposed to rent cars in the US, or maybe I’m just not coming from the right place. In Western Europe credit cards are kind of rare these days and usually they are used by “subprime” profiles so these people don’t travel the world.

A friend who’s American but also had a European credit card as an expat booked a car for seeing his family over Christmas. He booked the car with his European credit card, because this is where his salary was going. They wouldn’t hand him over the car because he didn’t have a EU drivers license, only a US drivers license. The booking price was non-refundable. He had to use his US card. It doesn’t make sense.

Booking for the US in advance worked well for me so far, but I am avoiding discount car rentals. A couple bad experiences.

It just doesn’t make sense!
I relate about bad experiences now and will avoid those as much as possible.