Gas stations: make it possible to pay at gas stations that pre-authorize ๐Ÿš—

This is a trend in the UK. Gas stations are slow with implementing a Visa guideline that pay-at-the-pump stations should pre-authorize before some can get gas. As a reaction to stations failing to update their systems, various banks blocked pumps for debit card customers that do not have an overdraft allowance.

As a prepaid card, it makes sense that Revolut does protect its accounts against negative balances.

But I believe there is no reason to block gas stations in general like they are doing it now. A vast number of gas stations in other countries already do a pre-authorization. They block a certain amount on the card and then allow to spend this on gas. Their terminals are online. And work perfectly fine with other prepaid cards. This is just a very UK centric solution that unnecessarily limits the acceptance of the card for hundreds of thousands of their customers that are used to โ€œmodernโ€ self service gas stations for decades now.

I can confirm for you that Revolut does block all pay-at-pump transactions even when they do a pre-authorization as you describe. It makes no sense, but probably has some technical reason as they canโ€™t distinguish between those types of transactions and just block the type completely.

Doesnโ€™t the article I linked suggest otherwise? From this table, it seems only Santander also blocks all pumps while other issuers only block the not updated ones that do not pre-authorize. So it should be possible to distinguish between them, in principle.

I donโ€™t know the technical details and whether this behaves the same everywhere with this payment type, so I assume they have a good reason, considering they found it important enough to only block this specific type of transaction and to even send you a push notification saying โ€œPay insideโ€โ€ฆ which kind of works, in case there is an inside and youโ€™re not at a fully-automated pump station without any attendant.

Well, this is the ideas section and the suggestion is that they make their card more useful for many of their consumers by addressing this. They are already limiting their card to online use, itโ€™s not working on a plane for example, which is a different discussion.

So my idea is that they are going to improve their product and whatever is necessary to be on par with the majority of UK banks and competing prepaid card issuers here so that the card can be used for gas pumps that offer pre-authorization. :wink:

Where in the UK would you find a โ€œgas stationโ€? Are you referring to buying liquefied petroleum gas at petrol stations?

I think is time for revolut to fix this issue, every prepaid MasterCard i have from several issuers (Payonner , transferwise and more) is fully compatible with pre-authorize gas stations.