Direct Debits Euro’s

to put it short: the merchant’s reasoning is bullshit.
It’s forbidden to discriminate IBANs in the EU.
Regulation (EU) No 260/2012 Article 9 Section 2:

A payee accepting a credit transfer or using a direct debit to collect funds from a payer holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32012R0260&from=EN#d1e1160-22-1

There is also an email address where you can report the IBAN discrimination: paymentsystem@bde.es
from https://ec.europa.eu/info/system/files/art10-competent-authorities-05072013_en_0.pdf

member state cough cough brexit cough cough. but illegal to discriminate anyway.

Spain is still a member and has to follow EU regulations, and GB is still SEPA participant

1 Like

I seems most online systems in Spain aren’t allowing alphanumeric characters within the IBAN number, if you try and update the details online. (Endesa electricity being one)

My local broadband supplier has said, they are willing to accept the Revolut IBAN, however its their BANK (Sabadell) that won’t accept a mandate that isn’t Spanish based.

As much as we can point to EU regulation, saying they should accept them - its falling on deaf ears

and this is why you report every offender, in this case the bank.
Without reports nothing will change

1 Like

You are right, I pressed the company and got …
It may well work, or not. All I know is that we have tried UK bank accounts before and they’re always giving problems and every time we get a retected or failed DD we are charged by the bank so the management has said Spanish DDs only.

Andy

With Kind Regards,

Albox Online Customer Services

I want to load my account with euros, not GBP though my account has been set up in GBP.
I have a Spanish bank a/c and credit card. I can’t find out how to send a message to the community without replying to a message from someone else. Help!!

first create a EUR wallet. there you’ll see the SEPA and SWIFT account details to top up EUR.

Can I just ask are Direct Debits processed at a different time of day than a regular bank? My first direct debit should be taken out today but it still hasnt left the Pocket I created for it.

I just checked mine - all my previous direct debits were processed exactly 8am on the days they went out.
Not sure how that relates to Pockets, I don’t use them after having issues with them not working correctly. That was way back though, they’re probably fine now

1 Like

I am trying to set up a direct debit with the water company in Spain. My Revolut IBAN starts with LT so is European. The water company wants: … provide a copy of the bank document that contains the main data of the entity.

The data that the bank document must contain are the following:

• Name of the bank

• Full address of the entity (not that of the subscriber)
    Well if I download a statement, that doesn’t have the address of the bank. I need a document that i can upload that has all that information - no idea how to get it.

It’s in the small print at the bottom with all that other regulatory stuff, no? This is the address that’s printed on the statement that I just downloaded: Konstitucijos ave. 21B, LT-08130 Vilnius.

Thank you - yes it is there. I’ve uploaded it to them now so I will see if they except it.

I did try and they did except the statement but as the account was in my name and not my wife’s (the water account is in her name) they would not except it. So instead we decided to pay by card online- it’s so easy! We are closing our Caixa bank account who are charging us €60 a quarter! We have two apartments and we can pay by card for utilities and do transfers for community and be out of the Banks claws. They have been a real pain with all their ‘Fiscal Declarations’ freezing the account when they feel like it and charging a fee now for coming into the bank (€2) Such a relief

Hello everyone :wave: ,

Sorry to hear that you guys are facing a problem to set up a Direct Debit. :frowning_face: Direct Debit needs to be set up directly with the company that you will be paying to. For detailed explanation, please check our FAQ page here.

Hope this works. :blush:

SG | Community Team