Debit card, not prepaid

Well some countries (ie. Japan in my case) only allow banks to issue debit cards. If I can get that feature in let say within the decade I am quite happy.

ć›ăźè‹±èȘžăŻè‰Żă„ 202020202020

1 Like

physical VISA’s they now issue seems to be debit. Confirmed to me by somebody who got new card recently. bin checker shows it as “debit” (issued in France).

Today I used what I thought was a prepaid Visa card, held for a couple of years.

Lo and behold, the receipt from the trader, lists it as Visa Debit.

I am now very confused as I place a weekly spend allowance on the card. I wonder what would happen if I over spent on what I had placed on my card?

Prepaid cards are still classed as debit

1 Like

That is good news. I don’t want a card which could let me overspend my limit.

Banks can give you “overdraft” even on debit card :slight_smile:

I won’t go into details but depending on how merchants bill you, you can end up going over your limit regardless

1 Like

Japanese Revolut cards are Debit.

I should have checked, didn’t know you could look up BIN numbers and see whether it is a debit card or not.

Got my space gray metal card today. It’s a debit MC:

3 Likes

Hi! I am Italian and I opened Revolut in March: the physical card is “debit”

3 Likes

I’m from Singapore. The Revolut cards issued here are Visa Platinum cards, with the word “Debit” printed on the back.

1 Like

Really disappointed to find out these are prepay cards, revolut is advertised as a full bank but cannot make card payments to credit cards from my revolut account.

No idea if the physical cards are proper debit as it requires to use in a physical store to activate which is the oddest way of activating a card I have seen.

ALL the cards issued by Revolut are debit card (both virtual & phisical).

They are of good “level” too, since VISA are Infinite ones and MC are World Elite (at least the Metal version).

Phisical needs a first chip & pin transaction only to enable contactless payments for (obvious
?) security reasons.
Even a withdrawal operation can be used for it.

I don’t know if you can dispose payments of a different credit card on your account, but I don’t think this should be an issue, since you have a personal valid IBAN
 :thinking:

Not really. I tried to add my cards to Coinbase. Both virtual and physical cards were rejected as they were prepaid.

It’s a Coinbase error. Simply as is.

Could also be an Country issue or behavior. @nomadus is located in the USA. He forgets to mention that once in a while causing confusion. :joy:

2 Likes

Though I kind of agree with what you mean, I face this pre-paid card issue with other providers such as Cash App, etc. That’s why Revolut has to issue a fully acceptable debit card for the US market.

Could you post here your card BIN for a check?
(First 6 numbers of your card number. No more!)

Here you go
a) 406000
b)516529

1 Like