Commission charged FX transactions?

From what I understood, revolut doesn’t charge commission when I exchange € to £ and vice-versa. But when I’ve tested the exchange feature, it seams that indeed there is some commission. Am I missing something?
For example, if I exchange 100€ I get £86.14

But when I change it back, at the same moment, I get only 98.95€. 1.05€ lost on this transaction on the same moment. Why?

Today 1€ = £0.8614, wasn’t supposed for me to receive 100.00€ if I exchange £86.14?
If £1 = €1.1490, wasn’t supposed for me to receive £100.00?
Again, am I missing something?

(I wanted to post more screenshots, but I wasn’t allowed, sorry)

Please check the forum for this. There are lots of threads about all things FX exchange. Like these two:

and

https://community.revolut.com/t/weekend-exchange-rate-surcharge-clarification/4483/12

It’s a fair question from the OP and your advice to search, along with using examples that do not reflect the OP’s scenario, don’t help him or advance the matter.

I’ve also noticed that there is a slight difference. If you convert £1 to € and immediately convert the result it back to £, you will not get £1.

So why is that?

Because interbank rates have a tiny bid/offer spread. You’re not going to get the same rate in both directions. Compare against the wholesale interbank rates at www.truefx.com

1 Like

Dear @BritinSA,

my links cover this complex topic FX exchange. My experience especially with that topic is this: when someone answers a question in brief, it starts a whole discussion about it. What is an interbank rate? How does it work with Revolut? How and why is Google’s rate different? Why is Revolut’s rate sometimes good, and sometimes not so good, compared to Google, Mastercard …

My recommendation is to read the linked threads completely. Even if it starts with a different question / scenario. I am confident that most readers will get it with the details that are covered there, thanks to users that contributed and official statements from Revolut.

(The back and forth conversion experiment is covered in link no. 1.)