Choosing BIN number for a revolut card

It’s not possible. BINs are allocated based on your registered and verified address.

and yet i have card with US bin number, and I live in Europe…

Probably not.

Where did you check it? Publicly available BIN checking websites use third party databases and are not always up to date and not 100% reliable.

Also try to enter more than 6 digits. Also a good method to test: when the card is accepted by stores that rely on BINs to check for regions, it’s more like than not that the card is recognised correctly. iTunes for example. If you’ve got a Spanish iTunes account, and you’re able to add your card there, Apple recognises the card as Spanish.

Also DCC. When merchants would think your card is a US card, you would be offered currency conversion in USD. If you’re not seeing currency conversion options in your country at ATMs, it’s very likely hat the card is correctly recognised as a local card.

I am facing a similar situation. Australian user here. Previously my cards have been BIN (473946, Australia), but recently,newly generated ones have been (421604, India). As a result, my payment gets rejected on almost every store.

I have tried contacting support but they insist it’s all correct. Has anyone else encountered this? The only reason I can think of is that they recently acquired this BIN and many databases haven’t updated yet.

Yes. That’s the most likely reason.

How are you able to check the BIN status?

There are many online tools… BUT not all very reliable.

This one seems to be ever correct:

BIN CHECKER - Define the Bank by the Credit/Debit Card Number | PaySpace Magazine :wink:

Card networks are beginning to use the first 8 digits to determine card type and -country (this is mandated by an updated ISO standard).

You need to be able to enter the first 8 digits to know the correct card type and country. Visa and Mastercard will convert all old 6 digits IINs to 8 digits IINs in April 2022 - so really, do not use any BIN database that is limited to 6 digits - they are literally useless. 6-digit BIN databases can no longer be relied upon.

• Binlist.net is able to perform 8 digit IIN lookups, but the database tends to be updated with some delay.
  • Mastercard publishes their official binlist for free daily on their website. You may rely 100% on that list.
  • Visa, however, does not publish anything for free. Here you will need to rely on either paid solutions, where the data is received directly from Visa, or free solutions that are updated less frequently. Binlist.net does an okay job here - with ~1–2 month(s) delay.

Oh well… Binlist with 8 digits is giving less info than Binchecker with 6… to date. :smirk:

You are getting wrong info if you use 6-digit databases. Country information is designated by positions 7 and 8 in the BIN. I’d rather have less info than wrong info.

I just checked two of my Revolut cards. With a Mastercard, Bin Checker (6 digits) shows me the wrong country. Binlist (8 digits) shows the correct country. With a Visa card, both websites show slightly different but equally wrong results.

It’s not what results to me…

If you’re guessing the country, you’re guessing it soemetimes correctly, I guess. :slightly_smiling_face:

A while back, when Revolut introduced Apple Pay, it became evident that Revolut uses digits 7 and 8, what Mastercard calls „account ranges“. If an issuer like Revolut is active in markets where Apple Pay isn’t available yet, Apple insists on technical measures to limit Apple Pay availability.

Online BIN checkers often gave wrong results back then when only relying on 6 digits. Even results with 8 digits were not reliable, but you can see that the country changes when you’re playing around with two more digits.