Card unreliable in countries with no Prepaid Mastercards

Edit: I have spoken with support. Revolut is unreliable in countries where no prepaid cards are emitted! As the card is a Mastercard prepaid, and prepaid cards are not a product offered everywhere, then transactions can (and as explained below, will) fail.

This should be clearly stated somewhere (the FAQ?).

Hi,

Sadly I have to report that 50% of my transactions have been rejected in Chile. There is an uncatched exception in the payment machines. There seems to be a problem with how the card is handled at certain merchants, maybe?

The error is:

"WALK: POSXML error.

WALK: Invalid parameter size."

It seems to be a problem with some credit cards from the UK, see here. There is no issue with my bank’s Mastercard.

So beware that the card can become a a pain to use.

2 Likes

Hi. The answer you got from the support is just incorrect.
“Revolut is unreliable in countries where no prepaid cards are emitted! As the card is a Mastercard prepaid, and prepaid cards are not a product offered everywhere, then transactions can (and as explained below, will) fail.”

I have a Revolut card (since August 2016) and it works quite well even in Chile (!!).
My wife had to order a new card. She got a card (January 2017) with the toucheless option: her card has exactly the same kind of problems as you. In many place, it doesn’t work with the error message you said. At the very same places, MY OWN REVOLUT CARD WORKS.

I have the feeling that the support should provide a better and more efficient answer (and maybe some investigation ?).

Best,
Damien.

1 Like

I add that we are using them in Santiago de Chile.

Still no satisfying answer from the support?
Still the same problem BUT ONLY with one of our two Revolut cards, just with the more recent (and touchless) one.

Sadly no. I haven’t visited Chile in a while, so I can’t say whether this continues or not for my cards. I work with people in banking and, according to what they told me, their processing system still doesn’t play well with prepaid cards, and that should be solved as they are introduced in the country.

Hello,

I’m currently at Santiago, and I’ve been using Revolut. I could pay on Tottus supermarket, Burguer King and Mr Jack. Also could top-up a SIM card online (www.recargafacil.cl).

Besides these, the card gets rejected, either with a weird error message, or just “declined”. Didn’t try to withdraw money on ATM yet. I read somewhere that one should always say that this is a credit card, and I did this on all transactions.

I’m currently down in Chile. Oddly my card would work at some places but the majority of others it won’t. Unreliable and not dependable to work here it seems.

I’m habing the same error too. Only with Transbank machines tho’. Is this a temporary problem? ATM works fine as well.

Stupid but may be just accurate: have you tried using Revolut Visa instead? :wink:

How long has it been that revolut VISA is available? Defenitely wasn’t I got the card… and now I’m in Chile… how long would a Fisical card take to be delivered here? As I’m on the go and cant stay in one place waiting for the card to arrive.

I’m in chile at the moment and i’ve tried different transacion in different shops with my Revolute (Visa Circuit, contactless) and every transacion was failed. My wife have another Revolute card (Visa Circuit, contactless) with the same problem. When i try to pay with the card the process run until the step of insert the code. At that time, the process go on until “not valid” and at the app nothing appear as notification.
Please let me know if the problem in that Visa Circuit
Thanks

1 Like

I’m currently in Chile, and have been unable to pay for any transaction with my Revolut Card. It seems that Transbank (who operate most card payments) don’t accept payments from International Prepaid cards. Last year I was able to go around this by mostly paying for things and choosing the Credit Card option when prompted (I have over 100 successful transactions in the last 3 months of 2019). This no longer seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.