Wrong currency conversion on transactions

I’m traveling in Japan and have topped up my JPY account but the spending I’ve done keeps coming through as USD as the original currency and then charges the GBP account instead. The merchants are charging me in JPY though. Can you please fix this? I even have the receipts for these charges as proof that it’s been charged in JPY.

Hi there.

There were payments made successfully in JPY, however the other ones were requested by the merchant in a currency other than JPY and deducted from your GBP balance.

The card selects which balance to use in the following order:

• the local currency of the merchant/ATM
  • your base currency
  • your largest balance

You need to have sufficient funds in one single balance in order to make a transaction. If you don’t have enough funds in the balance of the local currency, it will default to your next largest balance and so on.

Hi Hutchrocco,

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with @anon71086934… this seems to also have happened to me two months ago; I exchanged EUR to PLN to later pay the hotel. In spite of having enough PLN and being charged in PLN on the POS, the ammount was exchanged to GBP and back to PLN, resulting that I was charged an extra 100€ in exchange fees. Revolut seems not to know what to do or how to solve this, and I never got a refund.

Ridiculous, it is this bad experience which tarnished a really good card service.