Withdrawn 3000 rupees yesterday in Bangalore, India. Revolut charged 3236 rupees??

Hello there,

Yesterday, we withdraw 3000 rupees (first time using the card) to an ATM machine in Bangalore, India, and we chose " savings account ", and that’s all. We didn’t get any warning message of charging any extra commissions by the ATM. But Revolut has deducted 3236 rupees.

What happened? Thank you for your help.
Regards

Please check FAQ. During the weekend there is a markup charge for currency exchange.

Is it? I didn’t find that yet:

This is from FAQ:

ATM withdrawals
Free up to £200/ €200/ Fr200/ 800zl (or currency equivalent) per month. A 2% fee applies thereafter

Overseas ATM withdrawals

Sometime when you use an ATM abroad, you will be asked to choose between a ‘credit’, ‘checking’ or ‘savings’ account. You should always choose either a ‘checking’ or ‘savings’ account.

If the ATM (or card terminal) asks whether you would like to complete the transaction ‘with conversion’ or ‘without conversion’, you should ALWAYS choose ‘without conversion’.

As a rule of thumb, you should always opt to be charged in the local currency of the country you’re in! If you’re in Thailand choose Thai Baht, in Spain, Euros or in the United States, Dollars.

If you choose ‘with conversion’, the merchant or ATM provider can apply their own exchange rate. This rate usually has a mark-up on the interbank rate, enabling the ATM provider or merchant to make a profit on your transaction.

I also found this on FAQ:

At the weekend (Friday 23:59 - Sunday 23:59) we apply a small mark up on the spot rate as the Forex markets are closed. We take the rate from Friday 23:59 and apply a 0.5% mark up on major currencies and 1.0% on other currencies to protect the company from potential losses due to a large fluctuation in the rate. For illiquid currencies like Russian Ruble and Thai Baht, there is 1.5% mark up on weekend.

But we withdrew 3000 rupees and chose “savings account”, there was no message in the ATM screen informing us of any extra commission. So, why did Revolut took 3236 rupees, we don’t understand that.

Thank you.

Please ensure that you choose to be billed in the local currency and decline any conversions made by the ATM. This causes the ATM provider to apply their rate over ours.

Hello Larysa,

Of course, Indian rupees and without conversion from ATM, we already know that! It is clear stated on your FAQ, so what happened there? … where are those 236 rupees missing? as it is very clear that we only withdrew 3000 inr rupees.

Hmm I have sent you a private message so I can take a look into the actual transaction!

1 Like