What Was Your First Bank Account?šŸ¦

Yayyy! Itā€™s Tuesday. A new week has just started, so no more serious discussions. Letā€™s go back to our teenage years.:face_with_monocle:

Do you remember when did you open your first bank account?:thinking:

I donā€™t remember the exact date as Iā€™m very bad at remembering those.:face_holding_back_tears: But I still remember the name; HSBC Bank, my first bank ever. I was too excited to have my own debit card.:star_struck: I opened that account with my own pocket money which was a big achievement for me.

Iā€™m sure you also have some exciting story related to your first bank account and we want to hear it.

So what are you waiting for? Let me know your story in the below thread.:arrow_double_down:

P.S: If youā€™re in your teenage years right now, you can share your story as well but without making me feel old, okay? :wink:

3 Likes

My first bank account I had at the ā€œSparkasse Berlinā€, but I canā€™t remember if I opened this account or my mother did it. Fun fact: Thatā€™s the first and only bank account whose number I can still remember today, after probably 20 years since I terminated this account.

2 Likes

@Kamika242, Really? :astonished:

Honestly, sometimes I forget my own mobile number so you can imagine that I can never remember the whole account number. :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

SG | Community Team

1 Like

@SG.Mandal

Maybe because in past times you needed the account number much more often than today. You had to fill out forms by hand for transactions or write the number down to give it to other people. There was nothing with copy&paste or a quick look into the mobile phone to get that number or share it electronically. :iphone::calling:
Same with telephone numbers, I know my own mobile number and my home phone number, also the home phone number of my grandma (never changed), but no other number, even not the number of my mother. Before mobile phones reached the market, from the head I knew a lot more telephone numbers.

1 Like

That was 31 years ago, I was 15 and opened my first current account with Volksbank Erding eG. My mum had to come along to sign the paperwork and I only got an ATM card, for the proper debit card I had to wait until I turned 18 and then sign all the paperwork again myself. Just like Kamika242 I still remember the account number and sort code by heart, but donā€™t know the account numbers for any of the accounts I currently haveā€¦

2 Likes

Hahaha thatā€™s great @glesga. :smiley:

1 Like

For me it was my Royal Bank of Scotland kids account. It was opened when I was 8 years old. I remember some workers from the local bank branch came into class to teach us about money and then sent us all home with application forms lol.

A few years later when I was 11 it was upgraded to their Revolve account which gave me my own debit card and had nice little perks such as Cinema tickets which was nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to our :r: community @RyanK1992. :wave:

Thanks for sharing this story with us. Now, I am missing my childhood. :face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears:

SG | Community Team

I opened my first account when I was 13 and it was a junior version with a lot of different restrictions. But it was possible to use it. That was more than 20 years ago and to make things interesting I still have the same account only updated to full functionality, of course :smiley:

2 Likes

@lukasz-p Guess what? I also have the same account. :star_struck:

SG | Community Team

1 Like