What is the situation with the MCC for topup?

milking the customers for profit :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Damn, it would be even worse. Imagine paying 1.5% abroad fee + cash advance fee of the credit card.

@Daidai @daniel9

Ok, but has this fee anything to do with the change of MCC, or is this fee because of Brexit?

We can only guess. But since there is just “Switzerland” (local) and “other countries”, Brexit doesn’t matter. There is no special treatment for EU as seen from Switzerland.

Therefore it must be the MCC as even people from other european countries had fees applied by the card issuers recently.

Ok, but a 1.5% issuer’s fee for “payment abroad” regardless of used currency, because of a change in MCC, seems odd to me.

The fees reported by others, that I have seen, are cash advance fees.

Sentence from @daniel9 on THIS topic:

“Apparently Mastercard changed Revolut’s MCC. It was 6012 (Financial institutions merchandise and services) before, and they changed it to 4829 (Wire Transfer - Money Orders).”

Might be the reason…

What I heard is that the top-up isn’t considered as online payment anymore (which is always free) but cash withdrawal according to new the coding.

This means that these transactions cost money. Especially if it’s done by credit cards or if the bank puts any charges on the cash withdrawals.

So in my understanding it may affect all Revolut clients not only the ones in Switzerland…

It may seem odd to you but credit card issuers are no charities. They work on fees generated everywhere. They do not provide a service without having somebody pay for it.
Every issuer may apply as many fees as they want for any MCC for any reason.

I think you are misunderstanding me…

Please also check the first part of the sentence you have quoted.

The fact a fee is charged (because of a change in MCC) is not odd to me. The ‘fact’ it is a fee for “payment abroad” regardless of used currency (instead of a cash advance fee), given it was not charged previously, I find odd.

It doesn’t matter. They apply a fee based on the MCC. Nothing odd. End of story.

Every issuer may apply as many fees as they want for any MCC for any reason.

Maybe not odd for you…but I hope that I am still allowed to find it odd.

3 Likes

I agree, and I don’t understand the kerfuffle here.

Just stating the obvious, but the money on your credit card is not your money, but the bank’s money. You really ought to not top-up using a credit card, just as you should not withdraw from an ATM with a credit card.

Only reason Revolut cannot outright block credit card topups is because PSD2 requires equal treatment of debit and credit cards of the same brand.

If you top-up using a credit card it equals worse service for everyone else who has to foot the bill/ more expensive fees - money that could have been used for something more productive.

In the long term, I hope that top ups will be removed, and that we will have instant transfers using domestic account details.

2 Likes

I do understand why the top-up fees. So no kerfuffle from me about the fees because of a top-up (only a part of my sentence was quoted there). I was just a little ‘confused’ that apparently for some the fees come under the heading of “payment abroad” regardless of used currency, instead of a cash advance fee.

That would be an acceptable reason. It is just sad that you provide it, instead of Revolut.

It depends. In Latvia banks allow store your own money in to credit card account, there is even 1 bank which pays you interest for doing that. Also there is at least 2 banks in LV which allow you to withdraw cash from any ATM worldwide using their credit cards without any fees if currency exchange is not involved (there are limits of course).
I think banks want to promote credit card use becouse they get 0.3% from each transaction, not 0.2% like from debit card.

1 Like

This is a very common reason with Swiss cards clearly stated in the T&C. This also means, that they still don’t treat it as a cash advance but treat it like a purchase transaction of goods or services.

1 Like

@Revolut, can we have an official statement that the MCC has been changed? The banks in Romania are refusing revolut top-ups with a credit card for a few weeks now and stating that revolut has made the change. It was too expensive for revolut to absorb the CC fees or what is the logic behind this change?

6 Likes

This problem seems to have been solved today during maintenance. I topped up my account this afternoon and my bank indicates a regular payment and not a cash advance.

3 Likes

Ah so you are able to see it in your bank account transactions detail ? Are you able to see the MCC for transactions you made ?

Thx

another viewpoint: I’m the customer. I got used to some service and certain fees for these services.
If there’s a change I want to be notified and want to be in the situation to accept these changes or not (and close the account).
Doing such a change without prior notification makes me angry. Even more, if it generates me extra costs which was free up to now.

PSD2 is an EU directive and not a worldwide one. Opposing to that, Revolut is a global company. Thus revolut could have the chance to handle cards issued outside of the EU differently.

You’re right, your credit limit on a credit card is your bank’s money. And the bank gives it to you for any purpose (which is legal). You can buy gift cards. You can buy clothes. You can buy an experience with it. For your bank it shouldn’t matter how you spend that money because you’re moving within the box that is called terms&conditions of your credit card. And topping up a revolut card was within that box, as it was a purchase up to now. If you paid the money back until the deadline, it was fine, if not, you had to pay the interests. And most banks in Europe were OK with that and did not penalized the revolut card topup by changing the purchase to cash withdrawal on their side.
Thus these banks did not mean that using their credit cards for topup equaled to worse service to their other customers.
With this logic you could say that cashback is not equal because people who don’t use that feature have to pay the costs of others who use.
And with this login you could sat that using credit cards is not equal, as who’s not using it, should pay the bill for others.

Top-up using a registered card or using apple pay on an iphone is convenient enough. I do not need instant wire transfers. Moreover, think, when many-many banks covering half of the world will agree and commonly introduce instant wire transfers? Even in one country this is a project for years… So I believe this will never come true.

2 Likes