We want your view on our card designs

In my opinion the current designs are better looking than competition these days. To me the simple :r: feels much more exclusive, traditional banks have their name on display.
The metal cards are neat. I could be interested in the gold one but 150€ seems a little overpriced as I am a metal user. Maybe there could be a different pricing for each plan. For example could be 300€ for a free user, 200€ for premium and 100€ for metal. Such a pricing strategy seems fair as it depends on the Revolut subscription and helps customers feel special.

4 Likes

I agree with the post from the user above. I have not much to say about the pricing but regarding the design I also think :r: instead of the full name would look better and i also think more interesting and attractive to new customers.

Also i dont know how it is for customers in other regions or countries but for me in germany i cant choose between old and new design i mean between :r: or “Revolut” and i also cant choose between MasterCard or VISA. Only mastercard is available for me. Would be awesome to get more options available to choose from if possible in the future. Looking purely from a design perspective I think these simple but very cool looking things attract a lot of people to take a look at Revolut Metal. A high quality looking card not much on it a simple but stealthy :r: and that cool looking “Mastercard”-Logo or “Visa Infinite” in a metallic look on the bottom right that gives the customers a sense of exclusiveness is awesome in terms of asthetics.

Best regards

3 Likes

But It is evident that the :r: symbol is slowly being ditched out from all the Revolut brand identity because it belonged to an outdated version of the cyan-outlined-gradient brand name (see picture below).

And the dump of the :r: logo is also really positive step because that so 80s-looking childish outlined cyan “R” with a metal-like gradient was an utterly bad designed logo, and more importantly: it didn’t represent the Revolut values of “simplicity, elegance, and flawless functionality”.

If “Simplicity, ellegance, and flawless functionality” are the core values of Revolut as they claim to be in its official promotions and brief, then, of course, the :r: symbol must be removed because it is not either simple, or elegant, or functional; and it even a completely “flawed” low-quality amateurish design.

Yes, Revolut brand identity currently is a huge mess with so many opposite and contradictory design languages colliding at the same time.

Eg: The childish outdated 80s-looking :r: vs utterly serious 2010s-looking Revolut word mark, vs trendy 3D 2020s-looking illustrations vs the 2000s-like minimalistic aesthetic of the website vs the chaotic and full of innecesary features UI of the app, etc, etc, etc… Every piece of Revolut item you look is visually speaking at you in a different contradictory language… so, obviously they are completely lacking of a core design concept, or they are still going through an ever longing redesign process…

Anyway, hopefully they can arrive to some coherent and cohesive brand spirit any time soon. And hopefully they make it right. Revolut might have a lot of issues but it still an excellent product which deserves to have a brand design and visual identity according to its excellence.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your opinion in a more detailed way. I dont know Revolut long enough to tell the design history but i think everybody has own preferences when it comes down to the design.

But i persoally think that having the full brand name “Revolut” on the card isnt necessarily a good move. I mean especially when you travel a lot and use the card for a lot of different things, in different countries, in all kind of stores literally everywhere while you are traveling then im not sure if i want everyone to see that all my money is at Revolut. just because they can look at my card when i pay. I know a lot of different banks have their full brand name on the card too but that doesnt mean it is a good thing.

Would be awesome to hear a few opinions from other metal users regarding my feedback on the design.

Best regards

2 Likes

I agree, the full name doesn’t bring any value. And I’d rather keep it low key and stay under the radar with a simple, pure design instead of flexing an obnoxious card design - not targeting Amex, but facts.

2 Likes

I would love for the name, card number, CVV and expiration date to be removed as they are in the app. This will increase privacy and security in case of theft.

Also, if the magnetic strip is totally removed that would be nice. Who uses it anyways :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I very much prefer the vertical design. @Burns posted a picture of Revolut cards below (not sure where they are taken from). I find them visually very appealing, but I have an issue with the fact that the card number and CVV are on the same side (doesn’t matter whether that’s front or back). This may only be a minor safety issue, but if anyone sees the card during payment (or any other occasion) they can memorise or write down both. If card number and CVV were not on the same side, they wouldn’t have that “advantage” and had only one of the two important numbers for online purchases.

1 Like

Telling it as it is… Maybe someting a bit more grown up for the junior cards when out of their tweenies - I already know my lad will not want to flash his around as he is now 15 it looks like a lego world card. Hopefully he will be able to use on apple pay soon or else we will end up doing elsewhere on the prepay card market as who uses a physical card these days for the amount kids spend??

2 Likes

I seem to be the only one who likes the current layout. I like the name of the front of the card, otherwise it’s just a colourful peice of plastic/metal. The back can be as messy as ever in my opinion, I have found it helpful in the past to have sort code and acct number on the back with other bank accounts, whenever someone needs to transfer money to me.

I do like the “Visa Infinite” logo seen on some cards (cannot figure out who gets that and who doesnt), it makes it stand out a bit.

I’ve never understood why some cards are upside down though - gets me every time when I take it out of my wallet, or if I get used to it, when I take a normal card out.

Given that the one of the main points behind a revolut account is using it for travel I think the magnetic strip should remain a while longer.

The simpler the better for me :grin: :grin: :grin:
I must admit, I’m a big fan of very simple, uncluttered cards with the absolute minimum on them.
I ordered a new Revolut card the very day they started producing non embossed cards.

3 Likes

Hey @glesga, they’re just my own designs. I added them so that people could visualise what they might look like, before voting on the poll.

Interesting and very valid thought, which I hadn’t considered. To be honest I just copied the information from the back of my card, which contains all of this data. Or at least it used to, because I used a Sharpie to mask the security code :upside_down_face:

I just learned that Mastercard no longer requires the signature panel on the back of its cards. It is now optional and up to issuers to decide.

I propose that Revolut remove the signature panel from all of its cards. My main bank, Danske Bank, has done this exactly.

Starting in April 2019, Mastercard issuers globally will no longer be required to include a signature panel on the back of Mastercard products. This change follows the move to allow merchants the option to collect cardholder signatures for in-store purchases. Mastercard led the industry with this announcement in the U.S. and Canada last fall, and now extends this option to merchants around the globe.

5 Likes

Why? Does that really matter?

1 Like

I agree, it doesn’t matter. If they leave the signature strip, it’s simply one card for all. If they remove the signature for most of us, they still have to keep a second card which includes the signature field. Here in the UK, and best to my knowledge also in the EU, banks are legally required to offer chip and signature for those who can’t deal with pin codes because of disabilities, old age etc. Having two cards just ads complexity.

On the other hand Revolut seems to be coping quite well with a variety of different designs anyway…

2 Likes

Back in 2013 I was on the holiday of a lifetime with a group of people from a variety of different nations. Many people from North America seemed to have their payment cards signed: refer to passport.
An interesting idea. Presumably that is an officially verified document.

I have never heard of chip and signature cards (even for people with disabilities), and a cursory Google search shows that it is a chiefly UK thing that the rest of the world seems to cope without. The UK did leave the EU so it would make sense if this happened to be a UK-only thing.

Quite the opposite: The European Central Bank states in an official response that a chip and signature card alone does not meet the SCA criteria. In another response they elaborate that the merchant could have a digital signature pad with text recognition that double-checks with the issuing bank if the signature is valid. In that case they state that a digitally verified signature may constitute biometric evidence. A simple paper signature emphatically does not meet the SCA criteria.

In Denmark we have a cash rule that makes it mandatory to accept cash, and I did work in a grocery store seemingly flooded with older people and I honestly never observed any issues - contrarily my experience was that contactless payment actually made it easier for many people, because they no longer had to fit the card into a narrow slip on the terminal.

As a consequence of my personal experience with elderly and disabled people in a payment context — I really have difficulties imagining how a person with a motor disability, for instance, would have an easier time holding a pen and signing a slip of paper / digital screen than inputting four numbers on rather large pinpads. The pinpads are especially designed to the needs of disabled groups of people, such as the elderly and the blind. The buttons are rather large, and many modern terminals even have braille dots on each key (or on the ‘5’ key).

I did some searching and many banks in Denmark offer “a single pin for all cards” service. Additionally, all banks offer color-coded credit card sized labels that may be stored next to the card that makes it possible to see the PIN by memorizing a color pattern instead of remembering the numbers.

I am aware that Americans do this - however, it invalidates the card. As clearly stated on the back of the card “Not valid unless signed”. The reason this practice remains unproblematic happens to be because merchants do not check the signature — hence why the signature panel has become optional: Because it really does not matter that it’s there.

As a new community user I could only add one image to my post. So here is the back as well.

2 Likes

Late to the conversation. But talking about vertical card designs, I just received my new HSBC card, and looks like they are following the design trend.

3 Likes

Same with Danske Bank. Their new cards are really nice - and made from recycled plastic.

And with the additional feature that it is privacy by default. At Danske Bank you don’t need a “Plus” or even a “Premium” subscription to have a card, where the card details are hidden on the back. This is their new default.

4 Likes