Virtual Visa transaction declined again!

Used the wilkos a third time today online and it did not ask me to verify by the app.

It wouldnā€™t do as Revolut donā€™t support Verified by Visa or similar (if weā€™re thinking of the same thing?)

Using a physical card for online stuff is just asking for trouble. I have all my physical :r: cards locked down (online transactions disabled) and for online stuff I just use my virtual cards.

But to each his own.

1 Like

Are both cards issued from the same country? Maybe your virtual card has a different country code. The card from Wilko has the UK as issuing country. It is hard to tell the reason because you havenā€™t replied to the question from @julienm.

Bin is 4596 on both visas, virtual and physical.

You can check your BIN here: https://binlist.net/

Do both cards show the same results?

Yes they do thanks for the link.
Most likely hit and miss with the merchants I suspect.

My starling card has been rock solid everywhere. Monzo not so much.

Are the first 8 digits the same? Only the first four are not enough. Revolut does itā€™s ranges on digit 7 and 8, like country itā€™s issued to.

Yes first 8 are the same.

Now today my new visa is getting declined with the same merchant I had no issues with last week when I changed it to the Wilkos card.

Now I wonder if they have put it on a blacklist or something. Seemed to work for about 3 times with each visa I had then stop going through. (phone credit top ups)

Very frustrating.

Why not ask the merchant?!

1 Like

As I said before a merchant can not distinguish between virtual and physical cards. If he is able to I would like to know how. It is not doable by card number. Cards can get declined if they are prepaid.

I think other factors are at play here.

Yes I believe another factor is in play too. Possibly detected an international pre-paid visa and blocked it now. I think it was about 3 transactions on each before it began to be rejected.

Speaking to this merchant will be a waste of time unfortunately.

Shame I didnā€™t have the disposable visa virtual cards. I think this woudld work better.

Ok well that was odd.

The online service I used to charge my phone credit had my visa associated with the mobile phone account.
I deactivated it, deleted the associated visa, and then added it again.

This time the transaction was successful!! Lol.

Ok Iā€™ll need to do this after it is declined. Fingers crossed.

I am telling you they can.

Scaleway (hosting provider) donā€™t accept them. Neither do many other providers. Iā€™m pretty sure Stripe also tell you if a card attempted to be used on your site is virtual.

How? I demand proof! :laughing:

This interests me from the technical point of view. An online transaction basically has only two main parts, one on the merchant and one on the issuer side, with the acquirer as intermediate on the merchant side plus potentially a card processor on the issuer side if not done by themselves.

1. User enters card details (number, exp date, cvv), which are sent off for authorisation together with amount, merchant code, code for transaction type.
    ā€” data travels to acquirer - card network - card processor / issuer ā€“
  2. The issuer in turn answers with an accept or a reject.

Where does the merchant now know what type of card it is and why should the merchant reject the transaction after itā€™s authorised?

i found this company and they claim that they have all the needed data to the BINs: https://www.bindb.com/fraud-prevention.html

However, i have was not shown whether the was associated with a virtual or a physical card on their free search. The first 6 digits of my physical and virtual cards are identical (Mastercard and Visa) even the first 8 digits of the Mastercards are identical.

I really wonder how they want to detect that.

One step further down the line, why should a virtual card of the same type as a physical card be different when it comes to risk management? It all comes down to how the owner keeps its data and/or card protected. Virtual might even be more secure, as there is no risk of skimming and all the other physical attacks on a card.

Revolut cards are virtual and prepaid

As such they could assume there is no reliable KYC.

No idea how but Scaleway rejected my Revolut card because of it being virtual and prepaid :slight_smile: so they definitely do know. As I mentioned stripe also gives these to the developer.

I can only speak for myself but I havenā€™t got any card declined because it is virtual. I use many different shopping and streaming online services and I can pay all of them.

Things that got declined where services that did not allow prepaid cards.