Verifying account is misleading

Dear Revolut Team,

I have recently created an account by using your mobile up where it actually says “To verify your identity, top up your account using a bank card or a bank account in your name

I have done exactly that, twice (topped up the account using my personal bank card / account) but the account was not activated.

I am asked now to provide proof of ID, which i am fine to provide. But also a photo of me holding my ID which i personally find do not feel comfortable doing. If required i can come to one of your offices (if you have such in a 50 miles radius from where i stay) to present my ID in person but providing a photo of me and ID i will not do.

If there is no other way to finish validating my account, and in the light of the first phrase from your verification page (see above bold), i would then kindly ask you to guide me on how i can :

1. Refund the top ups from my personal account. I am not asking for moving the amount into another account (which be reasonable suspicion of fraud) but to refund it to the same account from where it was generated from.
  2. Refund the transfers from my friends which Revolut happily accepted without me being verified.
  3. Refund the payment of the Revolut Card which again you happily charged without me being verified.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Dobrin.

1 Like

Hi there.

You need to verify your identity in order to top up and use your Revolut account. This policy is in line with a UK banking regulation called 'Know Your Customer’ (KYC) and is the process of a business verifying the identity of its clients. It is simply an anti-corruption and fraud measure.

Unfortunately this procedure requires a selfie holding the ID next your face.

However, I’ve escalated this issue to the relevant team which is better suited to help you with your request. Please note a member of the team will contact you via in-app chat shortly.

Dear Revodrago,

thank you for your reply. I have used the in-app before posting to get the refunds. You can consider this as a feedback in order to improve your application. Me reading or not about a product description does not make the initial statement any less true : “To verify your identity, top up your account using a bank card or a bank account in your name” is misleading and you might need to fix it.

Regards,
Dobrin

Dear AndreasK,

You need to better learn an use your product. I have topped-up twice without being verified.
I can understand that there are KYC regulations but this should apply to every customer not selective as we have the same rights, no?

So my question, probably rhetorical one, Does Revolut have a selfie from every customer ?

No need for further escalations as my funds were sent back to the source; just fix your problems and provide transparency wrt verification statements.

Best regards,
Dobrin

AFAIK yes (except :slight_smile: AFAIK for a certain UK users which can be identified via a card top-up).

You can top up your account without being verified up to 200£. However, you cannot use your account or the card without being verified. Also, KYC applies to all users there’s no exception. The reason why you had to send a selfie holding the ID next to your face is because the previous attempt to verify your account within the app was failed.

Let me say that I know the product pretty well, but thanks for your personal feedback.