Using Revolut in Romania

Hello everyone,

I am looking for feedback about revolut users in Romania.

I am planning to go there for holidays and I was wondering if everything was ok with the conversion RON <> EUR.

Is it easy to pay by card ? Is there any fee for ATM withdrawal ? If so what is the best bank to withdraw cash here ?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Hi,

I actually live in Romania and I can tell you that there aren’t any kind of fees. Revolut doesn’t charge fees in any countries.
I guess the best bank to withdraw from would be BCR since it’s the largest here. The exchange rate for EUR->RON is usually around 4,4.
Most shops do have a POS device and accept contactless payments.

Hope you’ll have a nice trip!

Hi,

Thank you for this prompt answer.

Martin

Hello!
I am travelling to Romania and planning to use Revolut next week as well.

Indeed, Revolut does not charge any ATM withdraw fess, however the bank from which you are withdrawing might.

I was wondering, did you get any charges when you visited Romania and used an ATM to get cash RON?

Cheers

I am using Revolut as my daily driver here in Romania.
So far no fees from ATMs. Always choose to receive RON. Don’t allow the bank to make the conversion for you.

Hi Diak,
Many thanks for the reply!
Well that is quite amazing. Can’t wait to try it out. Since it Romania it is quite common to have to pay a fee to use a card from a bank in the ATM of another bank having to pay no fee with Revolut is incredibile :slight_smile:
Thanks!

First of all i do live in Romania and i can tell you the conversion is quite even, last time going RON->EUR->RON i lost 0.05 after 1 day,so…yeah…
As for withdraws keep in mind that after 800RON from an ATM you will have to pay a 2% fee to revolut,but if you go to a city you can get by without the need of using cash.

Can’t wait to try it out. Since it Romania it is quite common to have to pay a fee to use a card from a bank in the ATM of another bank having to pay no fee with Revolut is incredibile :slight_smile:

that only happens if the account attached to the card doesn’t have a minimum income each month, pretty much a basic account you don’t use,otherwise there’s no fee for that and other things

afaik no ATM will ever charge a fee. I’ve been here 6 years and never had an issue with an ATM charging a fee. I think its only if you go over your withdrawal limit on revolut that it does the 2% but thats not the ATM