Using Metal Card in USA - Not as shiny as it used to be

I posted this on Twitter as well but thought I’d post on here as well so more people see it

So…been using my Metal card in the USA and it worked flawlessly each time however, although there are quite a few chip and pin machines around, a lot of the time you still have to swipe the card in the machine as opposed to using actual chip and pin. Some stores you have to swipe the card face up, others you have to swipe face down. After doing this quite a few times over there, it leaves the top edge of the Metal card looking a bit worse for wear and definitely not looking as “prestigious” (for want of a better word) as it used to be which is quite disappointing given the cost of the Metal account

13 Likes

Well maybe the new design will be more resistant (if it’s gonna be the new design ) :smile:

also

3 Likes

Exactly the same as mine. I only owns it for a few months and the edges are getting off :frowning: I thought its gonna be much more durable than my plastic cards and I’m slightly disappointed as well

4 Likes

Real question is why the heck usa still using ancient swipe method? wtf :frowning:

p.s. Meanwhile in .EU we are in process to use contactless everywhere (to certain amount). Which is cool. Helps to reduce cards wear&tear considerably. Yay for .EU :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Maybe same as in the Japan thread.

i also have this problem since day 1
the edges are silver now! :cry:

2 Likes

Swipe payment always is safer, faster and easier as you don’t need to wait or use the pin to process the transaction. Also with the pin the liability pass to the customer which is not good at all! If someone find your pin and use is, it is hard to prove that it wasn’t you!

1 Like

I somehow doubt that swipe is safer. Wasn’t pin method invented becouse magnetic stripe is easy to clone?

3 Likes

So after a few conversations on Twitter with Revolut about the state of my card, they have said and I quote…

“We’re aware that a small number of cards were scratching but this issue has now been fixed. We’re offering to replace all faulty cards for free”

Despite tweets and DM’s going back and forth about how I go about getting a replacement, no-one has ever come back to me so can someone at Revolut (@anon33247966??) please give me an answer??

Well talk with the In-App Support Chat they should give you instructions, especially if you refer to the Twitter conversation

This is completely false. With all banks and financial services, including Revolut, you’ll need to prove that it wasn’t you. This means you have to go through the chargeback process no matter what. Magstrip fraud is literally billions of dollars being taken from merchants. Chip has an actual proper authentication system, and although the liability does pass to you (in some form), you don’t need to worry as long as you don’t share your PIN.

The PIN method is only for Debit card transactions. Signature is for credit transactions. So your debit card is possible to use both. In a credit card the Signature is the best way of easy and smooth use. Also for chip cards is the same as magnetic swipe.

And of course with Revolut too. When the terminal asking for PIN using the chip, I just pressing enter without the pin and the transaction approve instantly with no pin and no signature which is great and easy.

There are countries like USA and Japan and still using swipe payments in 2018!! For me its great!

I’ve pressed enter at multiple US terminals without the pin and it never worked.

In my country (Baltic states, Europe) it does not matter - debit or credit card. PIN works for both. Nobody uses swipe here long time now (5 years at least). I doubt it will even work for for cards from local banks as PIN (and now contactless to 25eur limit per purchase) is enforced as default method. Only time I see somebody using swipe+signature is obvious tourists (perhaps from countries like united states :D)

2 Likes

In Europe when i use the Chip for payments always asking for PIN. Then I pressing the ENTER without my PIN and Approved. Or sometime asking the yellow button or backspace. Try next time. I did it with my Revolut card “Visa”. For MC you need to do 3 times the Enter sometimes. I try it in Greece and Sweden.

Anyone tried to scrap off the color to have a mate silver card instead? Should look pretty cool

My metal card arrived and the same day the back of it has several scratches on it just from sitting in my wallet and being used in a chip and pin machine. Anyone else’s card been scratched after using it so quickly?

Mine remains in pristine condition some eight weeks after receiving it. I tend not to use ATMs very much which do risk damaging it - I think it’s been inserted in just 4 ATMs. And at point of sale I tend to use contactless wherever available.

In day-to-day use it’s kept semi-exposed in a TUMI slim card wallet, and again it has received no damage thus far.

It’s a nice looking card, and while I don’t treat it with kid gloves I do try to take a little care. There’s nothing stopping you ordering a free plastic card to also keep in your wallet especially for use in ATMs which are most likely to scratch your card.

Wow, no. It’s not safer. And as far as faster and easier goes, contactless is way better. Amongst other things, it involves less wear and tear on the card, as per the thread subject.

I’ve never had my card swiped in the UAE, and not in Europe for the last decade. Must be a US thing.

4 Likes

The thing is the EU implement the CHIP & PIN in order to pass the liability to the customers and save them tons of money from fraud transactions. When swipe your card or your Chip card does not have a PIN then the liability pass to the bank. Just in case you lose your wallet, you are not responsible for any unauthorized transactions. And believe it or not chip card contains more information than the old good magnetic stripe.

Of course everyone different opinions about cards.