Using in Croatia

Just today’s experience. Avoid Euronet ATMs in Croatia ( guess also in other coutries)… Euronet pushes DCC and if you choose no it charges you 22 HRK -= 3 EUR ( wanted 800 kn cash). Refuse it! Use a regular banks’ ATM like PBZ owned by Intesa for example. Also tries with DCC but you can choose and there is no fee. Paying on POS works good!!!

2 Likes

Or just use Visa card :wink:

I used my Revolut card at Euronet ATM in Croatia and after I had refused Dcc, the machine did not charge me anything on top.

2 Likes

So it means that you have Visa not MasterCard Revolut card :wink:

I’ve noticed they have both, Visa and MasterCard. Which one is better?

1 Like

I do have Visa, but I somehow only use Mastercard in Croatia. And it works. Also on Euronet. No fees.

2 Likes

Ok, I have both too. I my case Euronet wants 22 HRK commission in case of MasterCard, and 0 HRK commission in case of Visa.
The same 22 HRK is taken in case of Curve card (they offer MasterCard only).
This work like this for me, my wife and all of my friends.
It works the same in Poland (13 PLN commission) for me, my wife and all of my friends.
So you are just lucky man👌

1 Like

Interesting to see there is a difference on Revolut Mastercard and Visa. I have only MCs actually I thought is more used anyway in Europe…

If you’re referring to my previous post- this is Euronet’s policy.

Is Euronet strategically placing their ATM’s in places where there is no other “normal” (bank) atm’s nearby? We just need to ignore euronet if they want extra money from transaction. Luckily no Euronet in my country (yet).

1 Like

Or use Visa (if possible)

1 Like

Just back from Split. I pre loaded with Kuna and card declined because I had “ATM” switched off!!! Afterwards getting cash was easy and used card in several restaurants. Was asked if card as MC or Visa - something to do with quotas? I tried to use the “big” banks ATMs and no surcharge. All in all a very positive experience so many thanks :r:.

5 Likes

I’m off to Croatia in a couple of weeks. I only have a visa Revolut - from the above am I right in summarising that I should be able to withdraw cash (but avoid Euronet) and use it to pay for goods by card? Would be great if someone can confirm my understanding so that I don’t need to get cash in advance! Thanks

1 Like

Actually with Visa withdrawing from Euronet should not come with an added fee as reports from other countries have pointed out

3 Likes

Any info regarding Serbia? I live in Romania and I travel often to Serbia, how’s going revolut over there?

Hello,
I’m going to Croatia in a week. I have read the post several times but I am not sure I understood for the withdrawal of cash (and some messages are old, moreover my command of English is approximate).

Where can I withdraw With no fees with my Revolut Mastercard? Which distributors?

Why some have had fees? Problème with « DCC » (I did not understand everything)?
As I have a Mastercard, not with Euronet

Overall, card payment is well accepted?

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain to me.

1 Like

Hi Ligeard!

The rip-off ATMs (with media reporting fees of up to 30 euros per transaction!) have unfortunately proliferated in Croatia recently, so be careful. Your best bet is to use ATMs belonging to banks. If you are from Europe you will probably be able to figure them out from logos (the biggest banks in Croatia are part of translational conglomerates such as Unicredit, Intesa Saopaolo, OTP, Sberbank etc). The two biggest banks are Zagrebacka Banka (Unicredit) and Privredna Banka (Intesa). There are plenty of bank-owned ATMs, so you should always be able to find one if you look.

Regarding card acceptance, you will need cash. Cards are widely accepted by shops, stores, even in transport, but much less by stalls and one-man-band merchants, and even less by restaurants, bars and night clubs. You cannot count on being able to pay for food and drink by card. So make sure you have some cash with you for that purpose.

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.
I am disappointed that bars and restaurants rarely accept payment by credit card. It is a usual unsage on a trip …

With my card, I am limited to a withdrawal of 200 € without fees

Most places are cash only to save that huuuge % that bank take for transactions.

In Croatia they often ask the type of card because the merchant will have different POS devices by different banks that charge them (the merchant) different commissions depending on card type and issuer. Sometimes you will see 6 or 7 readers/devices by the cash register and the sales person will look at the card first in order to choose the POS device with the lowest commission. This is quite strange, and Croatia is indeed the only country where I’ve seen this done. The explanation probably has to do with the fact that card processing fees that the merchant has to bear are very high.