Use Revolut's UK bank account to get a National Insurance number

I was wondering if it’s possible to get the NIN (national insurance number) in the UK using the revolut’s UK account (getting a statment from the revolut app) as a proof of residence.

Any experience or advice would be apreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there. I do think so, as Revolut is not a bank…yet

1 Like

Hi Andreas!

Do you think is it possible to proof UK address with revolut now?

Thank you!
Kate

Revolut is not a bank I’m afraid.

Hi,
Since Revolut has obtained a banking licence, could it be sufficient the pdf statement as proof of address?

Thank you

you’ll need a rent contract or utility bill on your name. you can get good free “real” bank accounts from starling and monzo though.

I don’t think so. Many genuine UK residents don’t have a rent contract and don’t have utility bills in their name. Often utility bills are in the name only of one occupier of an address; the other occupiers don’t receive utility bills. It is also possible to live without paying rent, for example staying with friends.

Apply for a National Insurance number: Who can apply for a National Insurance number - GOV.UK states:

You’ll get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) asking you to come to a National Insurance number interview at Jobcentre Plus.

The letter will also tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity, such as:

• passport or identity card
  • residence permit
  • birth or adoption certificate
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • driving licence

you are assuming he is British but British people gets their NiNo delivered to their parents house when they become of age. I moved to the UK five years ago as EU citizen and they didn’t accept my halifax statement as proof of residence.

1 Like