Universal Browser Extension

It would be great to have an Edge browser extension to fill in credit card information on shopping websites. It should support physical, virtual and disposable card from within the users account.

For security reasons it would make sense to have some 2FA with the mobile app to verify the pc using the extension from time to time.

2 Likes

COPY CARD NUMBER in app

You can use a password manager like 1password. That will also keep all your other passwords and information safe!

1 Like

I’m using LastPass for passwords. But this doesn’t work for disposable cards!

1 Like

Ohh yeah, didn’t think of that :slight_smile: Hopefully they will make it easier to copy/paste card numbers from within the app.

1 Like

Why so condescending? Also, it wouldnt really matter, considering Mozilla and Microsoft all gave up and accepted their Google uberlord and adopted its extension interface (a.k.a. web extensions), you can (mostly) run an extension in all three browsers.

1 Like

When people ask brands for candy I always try to see it from an economic point of view. Why would you develop an extension for a browser nobody uses without a preexisting infrastructure?!.. Come on.

Even if the idea is good Edge is just a downer.

2 Likes

This is not a “brands for candy” but an ideas section. Why slam an idea based on one single detail instead of giving feedback that helps to develop the idea further and provide Revolut informations about what users want?

I think a browser / iOS plugin for cards is a good idea. For all browsers. On all platforms.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. I am a desktop guy! However, we are not moving forward on this one… web interface for use on laptops and other devices

I am just puzzled that someone demands a feature for a browser like that. :man_shrugging:t3:

0 Likes

Technically, a web interface is not necessary for this. Revolut grants 3rd party apps already access to some parts of their platform via private APIs. Why not take the idea for what it is, and add your two cents to make it useful for you as well.

Sure, it is probably complicated to implement this for desktop browsers. But the general idea is clever and I can see this being implemented for iOS and Android, where the necessary card details are stored on the device already. 1Password is a good example for how it could work from a UX perspective.

0 Likes

In my world it would work like it does with PayPal. “You’re now being redirected to :r:” – verify – confirm.

Even the C&P via button or such to move the details to another app or webshop kept uncommented – as far as I know. Reason: security or lack of man power. 50-50 maybe even 60-60.

If I was having a business like :r: I would not bring an extension into the market. :man_shrugging:t3:

0 Likes

Valid points. But: with the paypal method, the user is reliant on merchants. No button, no automated Revolut payment. In Europe, this market is crowded. They probably need a new business unit for this, processing payments for merchants. At a large scale.

The plug-in idea on the other hand solves a problem from a user’s perspective alone. Disposable cards make proven ways to fill in card numbers useless. The first step would be to make it easier to copy card details. But a plugin would allow to enter all card details, name, number … in one step.

While the “Pay with Revolut” button would be a diversification of their business model, probably relevant for both their business and consumer customers, the iOS “fill in” plugin is way easier to realize. It dips into the operating system’s share menu and just fills in a form, independent from merchant implementations and PSD2-compliant payment processing.

That’s the beauty. It’s a simple solution for a real usability problem. And it could be done without partners.

Am I expecting them to integrate this in the foreseeable future? Probably not. I also have security concerns. Still a clever idea.

1 Like

Keep in mind, an extension written for Edge would most likely work on the other browsers too, and vice versa.

0 Likes

I didn’t want to start a browser war of faith, so I changed the title of the discussion.
Btw: Edge also runs on Android :wink:

0 Likes

And, like most browsers on Android, is a mere Chrome shell :slight_smile:

0 Likes

:smiley:
Well most likely it is not about browsers but security.

“Well, to do something, an extension requires permissions. Problem is, of the browsers people commonly use, only Google Chrome prompts the user to grant these permissions (or not); other browsers allow extensions to do anything they want by default, and the user doesn’t have a choice but to accept it.”

I guess this is the main problem. However, I am not a security expert.

0 Likes

The article is not referring to extensions as being vulnerable though, but refers to malware coming as extension.

0 Likes

The article is also about extensions executing tasks you are not aware of. You are at risk that another extension is somehow stealing credentials or such.

To be very honest I am absolutely not an expert in that field. However, for my curiosity, which banks offer such extensions?

0 Likes

Non that I know of. That’s the whole point!

0 Likes

That is precisely what I meant by “malware”. The article is not about extensions being vulnerable though, which your posting seems to have referred to.

This is a general issue though and not limited to Revolut providing an extension.

0 Likes

If nobody offers it there might be a reason for that. I am client of ING – very modern if you ask me. I would expect them for example to offer such things (maybe com direct in Germany).

Obviously in that industry best practice is: Don’t offer such C&P tools.

(At Barclaycard you can’t even paste user name or pw into the field)

0 Likes