Unique EUR IBAN and BIC/SWIFT Numbers.

Dear @Povilas, one last try:

Just because a customer is not entering a BIC, does not mean it is not involved. The BIC is still part of the informations, the data standard, that is exchanged between financial institutions when they are making a transfer under SEPA regulations.

You mentioned Target2, the mysterious mega-database behind a lot of transactions in the EU. And all the banks and financial institutions are represented in that database: by their BIC. The BIC is still and will be in the foreseeable future one of the two codes that are used to transfer money. The biggest endeavor with SEPA was to make formerly national data standards compatible. This is why we see different lengths of IBANs, it is because national IBANs are built based on different national systems. (And the beauty of it is that this cleverly designed set of rules also makes it compatible with international transfers using SWIFT codes.)

What happens now when one enters an IBAN for a transfer is that the bank’s system fetches the corresponding BIC and adds that information to the set of data sent into the mysterious matrix of clearing houses and national banks where it hopefully finds its way, guided by IBANs and BICs.

What I don’t get is why people seem to be so frustraded about this. This is complex. And the system Revolut stitches together at an amazing pace is even more complex. This is all going to be resolved. It might have to do with banks not updating their databases in real time. It might have to do with Revolut choosing to try out a new data standard that is not completely implemented by major players in this game. Maybe they missed a form. Or they didn’t. I don’t care.

The important outcome of this is that these hiccups don’t make Revolut’s product useless (one can still use the old method for top ups). And that legacy banks take their customer’s concerns serious (people reported that it didn’t work but did work a couple of days later after they talked to their banks). And last that Revolut takes their customer’s concerns serious and acknowledged that it is not working like they hoped it would, whether it’s their fault or someone else’s, and that they are on it.

Everyone please be happy now.

2 Likes

All the information out there along with my tests confirms that i’m right.

If the bank is going to use the BIC it will have a separate field that you have to fill in or it will be filled in automatically.

For some very strange reason someone might think, which is not strange to me at all, when i paste this revolut iban number the BIC field just disappears and the bank gets identified as REVOLUT LIMITED automatically. Why?

There is no BIC anywhere in the transaction details. I called bank tech support and they confirmed that you don’t need BIC at all for SEPA transfers as all info needed is in the IBAN and it is impossible for the transfer to be lost.

Before this non issue i didn’t pay attention, but i looked it up and all my Boon. top ups have no bic just the iban and they all went through.

As a matter of fact all of my SEPA transfers are missing that BIC field and all my non SEPA transfers have it. Why? Because for SEPA it’s not needed.

The BIC is filled in automatically, behind the curtain. That is the point I am trying to make.

Let’s dive into this. All valid SEPA transfers have to follow the SEPA data model. If they don’t, it is not considered to be a SEPA transfer. With that regulation, Banks agreed on which informations they are going to exchange and how they are formatted. The SEPA standard itself is a sub-standard of ISO 20022.

Here is the latest version of the SEPA credit transfer scheme rulebook, published by the European payments counsil. This is the authority for this.

4.5.1/ 4.5.2: This dataset describes the content of the interbank payment message (mandatory unless otherwise indicated):

• 01 The IBAN of the account of the Originator
• 02 The name of the Originator
• 03 The address of the Originator (Optional)
• 04 The amount of the credit transfer in euro
• 05 The Remittance Information (Optional)
• 06 The BIC code of the Originator Bank
• 08 The name of the Originator Reference Party (Optional)
• 09 The identification code of the Originator Reference Party (Optional)
• 10 The Originator identification code (Optional)
• 20 The IBAN of the account of the Beneficiary
• 21 The name of the Beneficiary
• 22 The address of the Beneficiary (Optional)
• 23 The BIC code of the Beneficiary Bank
• 24 The Beneficiary identification code (Optional)
• 28 The name of the Beneficiary Reference Party (Optional)
• 29 The identification code of the Beneficiary Reference Party (Optional)
• 40 The identification code of the SEPA electronic credit transfer Scheme
• 41 The Originator’s reference of the Credit Transfer Transaction
• 42 The Settlement Date of the credit transfer
• 43 The Originator Bank’s reference number of the credit transfer message
• 44 The purpose of the credit transfer (Optional)
• 45 The category purpose of the credit transfer (Optional)

1 Like

This back and forth is really tiring.

1 test is worth 10 000 expert opinions and i have conducted way too many tests that prove my hypothesis.

And by the way how many actual cases do we have here of this not working? 5? 6?

People here offered already explanations for the situations that your tests worked and other people tests didn’t.

Not really explaining anything.

I am not going to do the reading for you. :wink:

I mean I have read all that and it is not a sufficient explanation.

I doesn’t work for me with all of my (German) banks. Thats the only sufficient explanation I need.

It doesn’t work. Period.

1 Like

Blame your banks. The only thing Revolut underestimated introducing these accounts is the number of banks using this old legacy software which does not honour rules for SEPA transfers and for SEPA transfers BIC IS NOT MANDATORY.

I called 2 banks and emailed 1 all of them said the same thing.

P.S. N26 works without fail.

This is really tiring. You’re right, you as a customer do not need the BIC to initiate a transfer. Everyone agrees with you here. Whatever you say here, the authority that designed the SEPA transfer payment scheme clearly says tha both BICs of the sender and the payee must be included in the message banks exchange for transfers. Banks do include them for you. Why are you so hooked on this idea that everything would magically work if only everyone would forget about that BIC.

3 Likes

Everything clearly explained here:
The issue with Revolut, IBAN, BIC and ISO13616
http://blog.coaster.de/wordpress/?p=34077

6 Likes

Good read! thanks :slight_smile:
Makes perfect sense now.

1 Like

Actually it does not explain anything, but confuse you, people, further. Everyone is overthinking it. The problem is much simpler.

Did you find it? I am having same issue with my bank.

By the way, for all thinking about trying the LT IBANs: Some other users reported about the money being sent back by Barcley’s after several days. The reason why Barcley’s rejected the correct SEPA transaction is unclear. One person claimed that his bank did even put a fee on the chargeback (Reason: SEPA chargebacks/transactions from countries not having the Euro, which is true for Revolut, must not be seen as SEPA-EURO transactions, even though they are in Euro, not sure if that’s even legal).

However, Revolut does reimburse such fees, if the IBAN was correct.

So for the time being, better still use the Lloyd’s IBAN to be sure, even if your bank accepts the LT solution.

1 Like

This is perhaps not the right place, but I don’t know how to PM you. I’ve made a bank transfer to my Revolut without adding the remark in pink, which I had to learn about in the FAQ that it is a necessity for your transfer to go through smoothly. Can you find my transaction and add the funds to my account? Please PM for extra info.

Edit: I tried to reply to the guy working for Revolut, sorry.

Did anyone get an update from Revolut (support, Twitter, e-mail…) about the status of the new IBANs they want to roll out for this week? Is it still scheduled for this week?

1 Like

Not even close my friend.Another disappointment by Revolut Team.I asked them about;and what I got is the by the end of the week answer changed into we working to make it asap.They had Rev Rally this week,they were too busy for UK IBAN.:joy:

1 Like

Excellent news this will be very useful