UI and new general design is a step (back) to skeuomorphism?

Hi. I have my concerns about the new general graphic design. I don’t know if you do it on purpose but is like from 10 years ago. It has these realistic 3D objects that is totally the opposite of what Apple and Google are doing these days.
I really think it is a step back. The older one was really really good and was one of the reasons I came to Revolut.

Regards

3 Likes

Look at this calendar:

It has metal rings!

2 Likes

I also do not like those new icons you now see in this community and in the app.

I think taking a minimalist approach would seem much better.

2 Likes

I did a little research on the internet and it seems to be a revival to the old skeuomorphism but does’t seems like a trend everywhere . They are experimenting big here.

Not for the other feature rich reasons? :thinking:

It was one of the reasons. There is more, like no fees, multiple way to add money to the account etc.

1 Like

Is this topic about UI in forum?

Yes

Forum still looks fine. Same functionality, just different icons (that does not bother me). Other thing is UI in app though :grimacing:

1 Like

you need to build a sufficient trust level on the forums by commenting for a few weeks or so

I agree. These people should have tried making them more like Google’s Material Design. Then they wouldn’t have looked so out of place or outdated.

1 Like

We need to be able to customize the UI!

1 Like

I do agree that the UI design has become absolutely cluttered and messy.

But don’t agree at all in that the 3D illustrations, what you are mistakenly calling skeuomorphism are outdated. If you research just a little bit of design tendencies, that exact style of 3D illustration is what has been most trendy in 2020. If that is style is coherent with the Revolut brand, well, that’s just a completely different matter, which I mentioned in a similar topic in this forum called “UI Overhauled”, link to that thread here. The illustrations are nice and very well done, but are they coherent with the boring serious design language of the new wordmark? No! And is the new wordmark coherent with the outlines R symbol? No. And is the beautiful minimal design of the card coherent with the childish old logo or with the cluttered app UI? No. I believe the main problem of the Revolut brand design is the absolute incoherence of every part. It’s really unfair to blame the illustrations in this complete chaos of a brand ID that Revolut had fallen into lately.

PS: This is was I was referring on the other thread:
It is so paradoxically that if you watch the video Revolut made to feature the design of its Metal card, they explicitly say that “Revolut core values are simplicity, elegance, and flawless functionality…” which would be amazing! I mean those core values are awesome, but then you see the ever more cluttered and messy app UI and there is too little of “simplicity, elegance, and flawless functionality” in there. Not to even mention the childish outlined “R” logo that doesn’t have anything to do with the other elements of the new Revolut ID super boring wordmark, which again, has nothing to do with the playfully 3-D beautiful illustrations that are everywhere around Revolut’s brand… Seems like the ID, branding, UI, and illustration departments are isolated silos that don’t communicate and each design department goes with the style they prefer, ignoring that Revolut should have one cohesively and coherent design language instead of a different one for each kind of item!
The funny thing is, that while Revolut lately decided not to follow those principles, they even make an Apple-wannabe video with a pseudo Jony Ive selling a show of how wonderful “simplicity, elegance, and flawless functionality” are in the Revolut core values. Seems like the design department is just taking the Mickey out of us users while advertising what they are just not doing in an Apple parody video that apparently is not even a parody. You can watch the mentioned video on the Revolut Metal page: https://www.revolut.com/introducing-revolut-metal or direct link to youtube here: https://youtu.be/GtQXbQ0sNq8