Travelling to Morocco next week

Hi there :slight_smile:
I’m new to Revolut. I haven’t used my Revolut card yet, but i’m traveling to Morocco next week and I thought that would be the best time to try it out :slight_smile:
I converted part of the money I have in DKK to MAD and now I have two Accounts (wallets I believe is the right term).
As usual, I will go ahead and always select payments in MAD (local currency).
Would that be enough so my withdraws (from ATMs) and payments will use the Account in MAD currency? I haven’t seen any options around my free Revolut account that would indicate what would happen in such cases.

thanks!

1 Like

As long as a wallet has sufficient funds, payments / cash will be withdrawn from that wallet.

1 Like

and then from your DKK account (using instant exchange). If so- remember about markup during weekends.

1 Like

Thanks for replies guys :slight_smile: good to know !!!

Best
Alex

1 Like

Beware that if you’re using Revolut Mastercard instead of Revolut Visa, transactions will be initially authorized in USD and only at the settlement date will be processed at the original MAD amount. This means that they will not be taken from your MAD wallet.

If you have Mastercard, I strongly recommend that you temporary disable all other wallets (and empty your main account wallet), and only keep money in your MAD wallet. This way , although transactions will initially show as USD, they will be settled at the right MAD amount a few days later. This doesn’t apply to ATM transactions as they will be authorized and processed in MAD.

If you have Revolut’s Visa card then all transaction will be directly authorized and taken from your MAD account.

Read through this Morocco end up using my EUR account and not my MAD for more details.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on this! I must be lucky I have Revolut VISA.
I will only make sure I have enough money on my MAD wallet.

One more thing (and important :)) , Some ATMs will charge you the equivalent of 2 Euros for each withdrawal without telling you. The only 2 banks that I found not charging this fee is BMCI (Has BNP Paribas’ logo) and Banque Populaire.

Hi,
Just to add to the above, when in Agadir the only banks we could find that didn’t charge a withdrawal fee were BMCI (as stated above, look for the BNP Paribas logo) and Dar Al-Amane.
Banque Populaire, for us, charged a withdrawal fee as did every other bank cashpoint we visited apart from the two above.
Withdrawal fees were around 30 Dirhams to withdraw 500 Dirhams.

1 Like

Just to keep this thread up to date:

As of late June 2019, I have tried cash withdrawal using both BMCI and Banque Populaire in Casablanca. BMCI does NOT charge a fee, however Banque Populaire will charge a fee of roughly 30 dirhams (around 3 Euro at current exchange rate).

2 Likes

Hi
no fees for me at the post office of Marrakech.

Using what bank more precisely? :slight_smile:

Al barid Bank , Rue Beni Marine, Marrakesh 40000, Maroc

Hi,
Already is ok on Morocco ?

I can confirm that Banque Populaire now charges 33 MAD for withdrawals but BMCI is still free.

3 Likes

Hi ,
Can anyone tell me from which ATM i can withdrawn our money without any fees or charges from bank in marrakech airport ?

Or do i need to take small Morocco currency with me for taxi or withdrawing from airport is better option ?

Hi Zeekha! Bank Al-Maghrib did not charge fee with MasterCard when I went in May 2019. credit card use is not widely spread so better to have cash. Restaurant usually accept card with a minimum of about 100 MAD.

1 Like

As of March 2023 BMCI now charges a 28 MAD withdrawal fee (VISA). Dar Al-Amane bank was the only bank that I could find that didn’t charge a withdrawal fee.

3 Likes

Welcome to our :r: community @the_mute @speedwaygazz . :heart_decoration:

Thanks for letting us know about it. I’m sure this will help our users. :star:

SG | Community Team

1 Like

Tanger Al Barid exchange in Brantz doesn’t charge fees.

2 Likes

Welcome to our community @ief :wave:. Thank you for sharing the name with us. :atm:

SG | Community Team

1 Like