Traveling in Colombia Dec 22 - Jan 23

My experience (our, my wife and me), was great. With no issue in Colombia.

Revolut apply official exchange charge (+1% in weekend) as expected.

Curiosities:

When we arrived to Colombia, we have no cash and other cards charge to us the official bank rates at no euro zone. We don’t think that Revolut work because we are in a foreign country, and we had no roaming and no local data connection. Surprise!!, We were able to pay with Revolut via NFC mobile device. I don’t know how this work, but was great.

Revolut was our cards in all days we were there. My wife has never tried NFC and feel more secure with physical card, but I don’t use the physical card in whole travel. All paid with my device. It is true that we need cash, but we had from previous trip and didn’t need to try cash withdrawal this time.

Unlike last time some years ago, All TPV accept contactless payment (except 1), probably for tpv and the bank that use this shop. They offer to pay for other one, with no issues.

In previous travel, TPV asked py on local or foreign card. Never ask this time and always apply as local currency, Revolut aply to us the official exchange rates.

All foreign card in Colombia work as credit card altough really these aren’t.

Here my experience.

7 Likes

Hello @valtf :wave:

Thank you for sharing this with us. We are glad to hear that your experience with Revolut has been great till now :smiling_face:

1 Like

If you are using Apple Pay, your phone/watch itself generate the token for the transactions and doesn’t need data for it to work.

On Google Pay mostly the tokens are generate on-line and a few are keep to use without connection, depending of the SoC of the phone it could also be abre to generate tokens itself.

Using a digital wallet is safer than using the card itself because everything is based on tokenization, so each time the terminal reads it it’s a different information.

Using a card by chip/NFC is the same way, but the card doesn’t limit how much token a terminal can get, and a malicious one could read 1000 tokens and use they late for fraudulent transactions, or someone could just hide a camera and save the card number, or just by remembering the card :scream: Man arrested for memorizing over 1,300 customers’ credit card info, using it online - Japan Today

Using the magnetic strip of the card is the worse because it’s always provide the same data, the card number, expiration and name, so it’s really easy to be cloned (MagStripe is basically a technology from the 50’s) :derelict_house:

2 Likes

@Eudes Hello :tada: Thanks for sharing all that valuable information about different payment methods and tokenization. :rocket:

Veda | Community Team

1 Like

Thank you for your post!
I’m travelling to Colombia in December and many people told me that I absolutely need a credit card, but unfortunately I don’t own one and I thought I’d try Revolut instead (I got the standard plan), although I’m honestly really scared it’s not gonna work. Is your experience with the physical card good? Is it true that a credit card is necessary?
Thank you for your help

2 Likes

@Stella, I have gone to Colombia twice. I have used the standard Revolut card (not the credit card). Neither the physical card and the mobile card have given me problems in Colombia. It’s the only card I used there.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, that’s so reassuring!

Best wishes

1 Like

@Stella Hello, Welcome to the community. :smiling_face: Hope this was helpful for your trip and happy journey! :flight_arrival:

@valtf Thank you for helping out. You are a :star2:

Veda | Community Team