TransferWise debit card cheaper to use?

The TransferWise debit card has been released recently and somebody was telling it’s cheaper to use (especially at week ends).
Has anyone been using the TransferWise debit card from their TransferWise Borderless account??
What are the pros and cons of the Revolut card comparing with the TransferWise card?

Hey @KIMW :slight_smile:

I am sure there are some differences in availability, support quality, design, app quality and so on. Some favouring TW and some favouring :r:.

Regarding the price…

• topping up with anything else than EUR in TW with a card is not free
  • currency exchange in TW is not free

So, with only those two considerations, I don’t think so :wink:

3 Likes

I know TransferWise charges a fee when converting currency but even though, the person I’ve mentioned has both cards and he said it’s more costly to use the Revolut card than the TransferWise card especially at week ends. Why is that so??

:R: charges a weekend percentage surcharge. However, overall a user using :R: may find it to be cheaper than TransferWise, as :R: has a fee-free quota per month (£3000(?)), whereas TransferWise charges a fee for every conversion.

3 Likes

I have a Transferwise borderless card. I did a test top up of USD 10 to Revolut using the card, and it worked with no charges. When I made the transfer, it said my card was in GBP and did I want to use it in GBP or USD - I selected USD. Top up occurred to Revolut account with no fees from Transferwise or Revolut.

Conversion of USD 10 to GBP is too small to compare - both convert to GBP 7.03.

Looking at a higher conversion rate, for USD 1000 conversion here’s how they compare on this weekend. Transferwise has fees, Revolut doesn’t but the rate is lower.

Transferwise conversion today would result in GBP 703.17
Revolut conversion today would result in GBP 703.87

So Revolut still works out slightly cheaper for conversion USD to GBP than Transferwise. I’m going to check during the week to see what the difference is then.

Edit: I topped up Revolut USD 1000 using TransferWise debit card. Still no fee.

4 Likes

So now it in Monday, and I thought I’d check the rate again for USD 1000 transfer to GBP. Here are the resulting amounts:

Transferwise: 698.87
Revolut: 702.85

So Revolut appears to work better during the week.

3 Likes

Yes, it changed recently. There used to be a small fee

Can you now top-up TW via credit card (EUR->EUR) without fee? Waiting for that to happen, then I will consider start using TW :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmm, I find it a bit unpractical that their fx calculator (https://transferwise.com/gb/currency-converter/) does not include commision they take.

1 Like

I can’t seem to add my TW card onto my Revolut app as one of my top up card. It says “something is wrong, try again later”. In fact I cannot get any of my credit/debit card to work as a top up card on Revolut. So unless I get my salary directly transferred to Revolut, I cannot use Revolut!!

I use bank transfers to move money between :r: and TransferWise . It works well.

I used both Revolut and Transferwise card for my backpacking travels and I found the major difference in customer service. When my wallet was stolen during Christmas time Revolut was eager to help on the spot and ship me a new card to the other side of the world within a few days, whereas Transferwise told me to contact them in January. So this is a big difference maker and leaves no question which one I will use and recommend in the future.

6 Likes

Yes… I chatted with TW about that being misleading back in January, and as I kept pressing, in the end the same supporter gave me 3 conflicting answers about this in the span of 5 minutes, and frankly, he could not care less. Their self-chosen mantra at TW is transparency of prices (apparently). However, I do not find it transparent when the final conversion is not actually shown to me. One has to dig very thoroughly on their website to find a converter that will actually show the final conversion. Hint: Either (a) sign in and have money in one of the balances to open the dialogue box that shows conversion fees (otherwise the conversion button cannot be clicked), or (b) find the april fee change page, which will show the final price.