Transfer gets rejected because the reference field is too long.

Hello, what to do when getting the following error while trying to send money to a revolut account?

Reverted • Your transfer was returned to the sender. It was returned because an incorrect transfer reference was used when initiating the transfer. For more details, please tap ‘Get help’

Of course the reference was specified correctly, but since the name of the account holder is very long (the entire reference field with ID + name + country code is 45 characters in total) it gets broken into two lines by the bank while sending the transfer.

What to do in this situation? It’s clear Revolut correctly identified the account via the ID, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to show them the error message. Why doesn’t Revolut accept when the reference is broken into multiple lines?

1 Like

Hello @William1 :wave: ,

Welcome back to our community. Thank you for raising this concern here. May I know are you trying to send money to another Revolut user or someone else wants to send money to your Revolut account? Does that person has the Revolut account? :thinking:

SG | Community Team

This is about a person trying to send money from their own bank account to their own Revolut account. I’m trying to help them debug this issue. For me it always worked (from my own bank to my own Revolut) but for them it doesn’t. The only difference in our situations is that their full name is super long compared to mine.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying the question @William1. Kindly inform the individual to directly reach out to us for further assistance. As each situation is unique, it is advisable to directly engage with the person involved. :pray:

SG | Community Team