Top-up from Credit Card now seen as Cash Advance

My transaction account did NOT have a debit card attached, only a “keycard”. I took your advice yesterday to apply for a debit card, which will be attached to the account. This may then resolve my issue. I would therefore like to thank you again for your contribution.

1 Like

Further to these tests I have just done a topup from 3 CCs… 2 * Mastercard (MC) and 1 * Visa…

Vanquis Visa no fee
Amazon MC (Newday) no fee
Capital One MC £3 fee + daily interest

It would seem that it’s up to the individual credit card company to decide how to treat the topup and not MC or Visa

2 Likes

Banks rely on merchant codes for this, but they always used their own assessment. When Revolut was new in Europe 2015/16, banks figured out Revolut’s business model over time, and looked at the nature of the transaction and then started to charge fees based on that in alignment with their T&Cs. When a credit card company states in their T&Cs that they are allowed to charge a fee for “financial transactions” or “cash advance”, they might do that at any point, totally independent from any merchant code used by Revolut.

2 Likes

It’s up to the individual bank if they charge a fee for specific MCCs. According to Vanquis T&C’s they charge a £3 service fee for money orders (which is MCC 4829). Are you sure that they do not wait until the statement day to charge the service fees?

Good point, I’ll have to wait till May 12 for my next one… Watch this space!

Obviously got my dates totally wrong. Vanquis statement arrived in the post this morning and Revolut top-up was seen as a purchase…no fee, no interest :+1:

2 Likes

I asked my bank to tell me the MCCs revolut used.
After i ran into the fees the first time, Revolut changed the MCC and i had no more fees in March.
They changed it for two times in march.
And as you can see, Revolut changed the MCC again somewhere between 20. March and 15. April.
So, it’s just not true, when chat support tells me now, that the MCC was unchanged since the last time i contacted them because of this issue.
grafik

2 Likes

I have been topping up through a debit card here is US. There is no fee charged by my bank as well as Apple Pay so far.

First of all Revolut doesn’t change a thing… VISA or MasterCard only can change MCC code. And second for me with VISA the code is not changed since mid February…
Revolut can’t do anything if MasterCard (or VISA) don’t want to turn the code back.

4 Likes

so, migros cumuls card now has or has not fees for topup?

No fee for Cembra Cumulus

I just topped up the miminum amount via Google Pay from my credit card. I was charged 28c on a €15 top up. I’ve never been charged before, and topping up manually with the same card incurs no fee. Has anything changed in the last few days? Super annoying as i didn’t see any fee lisyed until after i tapped the Google Pay button and verified my fingerprint.

I noticed Google Pay mentioned but it hasn’t really been clarified: is Google Pay passing the original MCC or not? If yes, then if the card issuer charges cash advance fees when topping up directly from some card, then it will still charge cash advance fees if topping up via Google Pay from the the same card.

I assume so, otherwise the card issuer would have no control over card usage altogether. They would not agree to that with Google and Apple.

Exactly. Although Curve shortcircuited that for a while. Revolut support (screenshots above in this thread) was suggesting to use Google Pay to avoid topup fees, but they most likely meant it should be backed by a debit card.

This might work for you - Whilst you cant add funds via a reward credit card (via cure or directly) you could add funds via a card thats happy for fee free advances and pay it with curve to my reward card - Im just waiting to see the latter isnt seen as a cash advance etc

I can confirm this worked with no interest or other fees…

1 Like

I can confirm that there are still fees. I have tried both my standard MasterCard and my Virtual MasterCard, both top-ups appear as bank transfers and are charged a fee. I have requested the MCC codes from my bank to see them and will post after they respond. But it is completely hit or miss with the top-ups. One day it gets described as Money Payment and I have no fee, and then the other day it appears as money transfer and I get charged anywhere from 0.1 pounds to 3 pounds, depending on if the bank are generous. When I called them they just said: “That is what revolut is telling us. If they tell us this is a bank transfer we charge a fee. If they tell us it is a payment or ATM operation we do not charge a fee.” I had no problem in May, the problems started in June. One transaction with fee, one with no fee, depending on the day, I guess.

Interestingly despite Revolut recommending using google pay the exact opposite happens with my bank (santander UK). If I top up directly with revolut there is zero fees using google pay it’s classed as a cash advance with interest and fees.

18th June did a test £20 topup from my Vanquis credit card, still no fees and no interest

1 Like