Top-up from Credit Card now seen as Cash Advance

Both my wife and me were topping up our revolut cards using Visa credit cards as source.
For both of us this was registered as cash withdraval and our bank charged interests according to its T&C
Though after I read this change from Revolut I just paid back these amounts prior the deadline…

For me the worst part is that there was no communication from Revolut to its own customers telling us, that this - for us major - change is coming.

2 Likes

yep, unfortunately I can conform I have been charged interest by HSBC UK for transfers from my credit card to Revolut account - just a recent change which was introduced a week or two ago. Now seens as cash advance and not a VISA purchase as before. That sucks!

1 Like

Same here using my Visa card! Top-up used to work flawlessly until a few days ago.

As I wrote in the other thread:

No charges on my Spanish Visa CC so far.

I can report that MCC for top-ups changed back to 6012 recently.

For MasterCard or for VISA, or both, and with debit or credit card?

Yesterday, for me topping up with a Dutch MasterCard Creditcard it still is showing as 4829 (Money Transfer). For me it makes no difference since also for this MCC I am not charged a fee.

I have this problem with my Targobank card too and already payed a lot of fees, because i did multiple top-ups during the last days.
Where can i see the MCC?
Is there any answer to this issue by Revolut?

:wink:

Oh, i posted the response to the wrong topic.
But now it is here too. :smiley:

1 Like

For VISA credit card (issued by one of latvian bank). Dunno about other type of cards.

I can confirm that for my MC too (issuer: Cardcomplete, Austria) - was in a need to enable cash withdrawals to top up my revolut account. I cannot see any fees for now, but need to check when the payment has been settled. I will let you know, but think this might be a real issue to revolut as this was a huge advantage.
what someboy could check if you put a curve card in between - maybe that helps temporarily. i think i gonna order one.

ok now - so the booking has just been settled, and it seems it is considered as a cash boooking, but with no fees at all - which is still ok.l I will see on how this behaves on miles getting credited for spending money but i would guess no miles for such transaction.
in anyway this is good news so far to top up revolut with no cost. let’s see how long this lasts.

Did someone test this possible workaround with the curve card?

Someone in the ‘other’ topic did :point_down:t2:

Did anyone tried to Top-Up with Norwegian Credit Cards?

Curve card doesn’t help - I’ve already tried - no difference :(.

1 Like

i’ve just made a top-up with a mastercard credit card, mcc is still 4829

I’m glad I’m not the only one this has happened to. I transferred a number of small amounts over a few days and so got charged £3 each time, which I am really pissed off about. As you say, if Revolut had notified users about the change then I would have used my debit card instead. But in the past I had been doing this no problem and so it didn’t occur to me that anything would have changed.
I am now tempted to switch to another card as I have lost so much money due to this and it has undone any benefits I might have got from using Revolut.

1 Like

Same here - topped up by MC and got hit with a cash advance fee. If Revolut are going to make such a major change they should have communicated to their users in advance. Very poor CS.