Too late to get a card?/is revolut protected?

From what we gathered at

this claim however would only be about five pence a customer at this point in time :slight_smile:

GBP 85,000 / ~1.5 million Revolut customers

Right?

Not really. Since the segregated account can’t be touched. It must contain the balances if each user. And since the claim from users are the first to be paid your full balance should be recoverable (in theory). The 100.000eur is if Lloyd’s becomes insolvent

:wink:

Also, what about pooled accounts?

Same. The funds must be held the same way.

It is always theoretical until it happens. We have no way of verifying it AFAIK

Wouldnt that contradict your statement from earlier where you wrote that it is not protected by the deposit insurance and the 100k do not apply to multiple people on one account?

Maybe I wasn’t clear. Since revolut owns the accounts revolut is protected to 100k from Lloyd’s going down. Not us from revolut going down. We are protected by the segregated account(s) and that they do not have access to it.

Sorry, but now it is even less clear :slight_smile:

Revolut users do not have a business relationship with Lloyds. If the 100k would equally apply to each Revolut user (regardless of which company folded) it would mean there is a deposit insurance in place, respectively there would not be any need for a banking licence (for the insurance part at least).

From what I can gather there simply is no guarantee in place at the moment as Revolut does not have the licence and hence is not part of the insurance scheme (regardless of whether their backend bank is). The local accounts might be more segregated than the pooled ones but they are still not provided by Lloyds (who is part of the insurance scheme) but by Revolut (who is not).

This will change once Revolut has the licence and becomes part of the insurance scheme.

Yes you are correct. Revolut have accounts at Lloyd’s or Barclays. Those accounts are protected by the banking scheme. But this have nothing to do with our protection as it applies to the relationship between Lloyd’s and revolut.

For the segregation there is no difference between the local accounts offered to us or the pooled ones. Revolut still must have the funds regardless in a safeguarded account (ring fenced /segregated). Per FCK and eu law.

By having the funds in that way and locked we are essentially protected as we can make a claim against the segregated account.

So, to sum it all up:
We are “protected” against any Revolut issues- b/c Revolut can neither lawfully nor technically access our money directly.

We are not protected against Lloyds issues, as we have no business relationship with the bank.

That probably is lesser of two evils, LOL :slight_smile:

Question remains- I like the fact we can talk honestly on this forum- does Revolut have any real-life means to perform a fraud on our accounts, get away with that and leave us with nothing?
I mean- I’m quite sure technical capabilities are in place; after all, we can initiate bank transfers etc. How does this play with segregated accounts?

1 Like

Yes. That is a good summary.

1 Like

Depends on how Brexit goes. But i suspect if they passport the license to UK before the brexit then it will still be valid :slight_smile:

True and the same question stands for when they expand into the US and Asia. Will they apply for additional licenses in those countries?

Banking licences, banking licences for everyone

2 Likes