Tipping in US

Singapore is quite expensive. At LeNoir on Clarke’s Quay we ordered 2 cocktails – 18 S$ each. Service and tax wasn’t included. Most likely in the legal in the card they mentioned it. Result attached. This is just a form of foul business.

I agree this is a thoroughly disingenuous way to conduct business. In the European Economic Area, excluding tax is prohibited by Articles 5(1)(c) and 6(1)(e) of Directive 2011/83/EU (Consumer Rights Directive). I can’t believe that civilised jurisdictions like Singapore fall so far behind Europe in their consumer legislation.

Sometimes it’s important to read fine print too;) if tipped worker doesn’t get state minimum with tips, then employee has to pay the difference/missing part. So they still have to get at least a minimum

I :heart:️ Germany. I :heart:️ Europe. I wouldn’t want to live in a society that accepts such things.

4 Likes

been economically successful doesn’t make a country civilised imo

1 Like

Hi,

I paid 2 bills for restaurants writing the tip to be charged later. These tips were not charged yet but Revolut blocked my card because of a suspicious transaction. I asked for a new card but now I’m not sure if the restaurants will be able to charge these tips as the card number changed.

Did it happen something similar to you?

Thanks in advance,
Javi

I am charged twice each time for any restaurant expense as the merchant charge the first time for the bill amount and the second time for the bill + tip amount. Though the first amount is a pending charge, Revolut takes 2 weeks to reverse it. Until then, I am out of this money from my account. This is like Revolut is getting a free money from me for 2 weeks every time I pay tip at a restaurant. Revolut should find a system to correct this error.

This is not something Revolut can change. These 2 transactions could be completely separate, e.g. 2 different time you ate there.

I, for instance, had only 1 transaction every time I paid in the US and it later was updated including the tip.

1 Like

Revolut should be able to work on this issue. Monzo follows the following innovative process to help its valued customers:
We’ve made a change for this on our backend to prevent the likelihood of that happening. If you eat out and the bill is $50.00, for example, at the point of the authorisation, we’ll ringfence the $50.00 from your account and you’ll see your balance change.
Then, if you were to leave a tip of, $15.00 - when we receive the presentment from the merchant, instead of recharging you the full $65.00 again because it appears like a brand new payment - we’re able to match it to the original authorisation for $50.00. This allows us to only charge the additional $15.00 when we receive the final settled amount so you’ll see one total amount of $65 deducted from your balance