The cost of physical card has been dropped!!! :)

Wow. Unless that’s a bug, I can now see that ordering a first physical card- I currently have no cards on my account- is now 9PLN. Used to be 25PLN.

FAQ’s not been updated, no-one in Revolut actually advertised this positive change. Well unless of course that’s a bug :wink:
Can someone based in eurozone or UK can check if your card prices were lowered too? Or is it just because of extremely competitive Polish banking market?

BTW- still would want to see a truly modern and competitive approach- why not take even 25PLN but refund it fully for a certain amount spent by card, like 1000PLN in 2 months or so.

Hey @revofan,

That’s not a bug at all :slightly_smiling_face:

We are exploring different pricing structures in different markets to see what works best.

Best,

Andreas K.

1 Like

Well so for 9PLN you got myself convinced already. Got my card ordered for 9, 25 was not worth it :slight_smile:

And to sort of speak not in favor of my recent action but… let me objectively recommend something that’d definitely bring a lot more success in Polish market.

There’s a reason why I said ‘not worth it’… it’s clearly not about the price of 2 beers in Krakow’s Market Square. Polish banking market has got us used to basic functionalities either just “for free” or “conditionally free”. We’re sooo allergic to paying for any basic services like accounts and debit cards.

As much as I know Revolut card is probably “really” worth 100euros or more, in order to market it in Poland, simply make its cost back up to 25-30PLN but waive the fee for anyone who spends like 1000PLN over the course of 2-3 months, let’s say.
Or put any other condition that’d cover the cost and will let you make some money on interchange- and at the same time, get people used to actually using the card!
That’s what banks do here and are super-successful.

BTW your closest competition here is Alior Kantor - their currency cards are totally free if you make any transaction over the course of 6 months. I do own these cards so there was no motivation at all to pay 25PLN for pretty much the same thing.
Other currency cards from banks are usually free, too.

Revolut’s fantastic idea to convert with interbank rates on the fly is unbeatable and your mobile app is a champion- for now.
So there you go guys, 9PLN is yours.

Let’s wait for other players to join - Igoria, Transferwise. It’s going to be a very interesting market pretty soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2€ for the card? @anon33247966 when in Greece we have to pay 6?6€ here is two labor hours my friend…(net salary)!an explanation for this discrimination should be immediate.

3 Likes

It’s not about “discrimination” but about the market reality, my Greek friend.

Polish banking market is ultra modern and robust so pricing has to be different and that’s why Revolut made their move. Right about time.

I hope you don’t think there’s anything wrong in different pricing policy per country, do you?

I have to pay a lot more for Feta and Kalamata Olives here to get myself a Horiatiki salad. I don’t feel discriminated against at all. I’m dead serious about it- I love it, just as I love Greece.

1 Like

@revofan - your thinking and explanation of different prices on different market would be right but under one condition - if revolut wouldnt advertise as international product. International (or i.e EU wide) means level and quality of services should be the same, providing all users with same experience at exactly same price. If I would know that poorer countries will get better prices I would register my revolut account using polish documents and addresses, not british :slight_smile:

Not that I care about that small difference in price of plastic card, but how far will it go in the future? Segregation of people was done in the world in the past and that had a bad ending. Understand price of genuine feta cheese is different because of transport and customs. Online services like revolut across borders dont consume more fuel, electricity or labour force.

Cheapest letter delivery by royal mail from UK to UK costs about 2.61 PLN. Cheapest letter from UK to Poland costs about 5.45 PLN.

1 Like

If you mean what I thought you mean, it’s probably a good time to end this fruitless conversation.
Maybe how about let a free company in technically free market shape their prices the way they believe should be shaped, and let us, customers, decide.

Learn more about some basic basics of free market and we can talk later. You Feta cheese explanation made my heart ache. Think about “segregation” next time you get a motor insurance discount and pay a lower rent in another area. OMG.

Oh and BTW- our ATM allowance is 800PLN, which is far from equivalent of 200EUR or say 200GBP. Where were you when this was introduced?

1 Like

That would be true if revolut would widely and openly advertise (same as they advertising of being international company with perfect interbank rates) that they have different prices for their services for different people. Cant see anywhere on website any notes saying “you will pay for X more than John but you will pay x less than Jan etc.” So Im not allowed (at least by revolut) to know and decide. I only know this because of this topic, you, and Greek friend. And Im not tracking this forum daily, more like every two weeks so I didnt know that ATM allowance in Poland is so bad. Another great example of shaping prices by free, equal, international company :slight_smile:

EDIT:
How many revolut users know that they are different limits and different prices for card ordering depending of your origin? Can they read about it FAQ, T&C?
Would be nice to see some kind of table saying:
"You will pay for card ordering

1. from Poland x EUR
  2. From Germany y EUR
  3. from Gereece z EUR.
    Your ATM limits will be:
  4. for polish citizen x EUR
  5. for german citizen y EUR
    etc…

Typical customer dont even think that he might get different prices in different countries thinking about equality at least from “international” services.

1 Like

So just go figure- that’s the very reason I started this thread. FAQ is not updated and contains outdated info many times.
I do agree it’d be great of Revolut to provide consistent and updated information in FAQ or better yet, just start a normal pricing table.

What I don’t agree with purely demagogic rhetoric like “discrimination”, “segregation” etc. Give yourselves a break and go learn how free markets work. You can give discounts to anyone, anywhere, anytime and with no reason. Deal with it.

1 Like

Yes, I do. Article 20 of Directive 2006/123/EC outlaws this. If Revolut is offering the same product from the same location, then it must not vary the price of the product depending on the consumer’s EU country of residence or nationality.

One would probably need to wage a good battle in court to prove this is “the same product”.

I doubt it is, since you have a different base currency, for example. Besides, this is a card shipment cost- officially :wink: Do you know where Revolut ships cards from? :stuck_out_tongue:

Varying postage costs are “directly justified by objective criteria”, as permitted by Article 20. So Revolut can indeed charge a different amount for postage, but not for the product itself. The base currency, and Revolut’s refusal to change it, is irrelevant.

@anon33247966 admitted above that Revolut is “exploring different pricing structures in different markets to see what works best”. Charging consumers a different price based on their country of residence or nationality is against the rules of the EU single market. The European Union is a SINGLE MARKET, not different markets in each EU country. This price discrimination is unlawful.

It is absurd for a business to charge some consumers more, because they live in a richer country. The costs of supplying the product to those consumers is no higher. This is increasing the price purely because the business believes that those consumers will bear a higher price. Well, that’s a malpractice that is against the rules of the SINGLE MARKET. Shame on you, Revolut!

But the EU being a single market i just bulls–t as we all know, or should i demand german prices for cars here in sweden instead of swedish?

There would be ALOT more to win there i’d say than a measly few euros :smile:

Good point! We’re starting a fact-based discussion now. Unlike before.

Gotta be the devil’s advocate here, though.
What Andreas mentioned was just an unofficial, colloquial statement. By “different makets” he just meant justified, different postage costs. And he does have a valid point- the cards are dispatched from Poland.

The card fee has always been offcially called a mailing fee.

I’d rather see the different limits (for ATMs, free exchange etc.) for different base countries explored.

That’s not different markets. That’s different postal systems. That would be fine, of course.

And it is, b/c cards are shipped from Poland. Which makes the local mail cheaper than the international.
Still- be it 9PLN or 6EUR or whatever, you’re never gonna know what the real mailing cost is and how much of it is market-driven pricing. Seen it too many times with eBay, Amazon etc.

It was a mental shortcut, clearly.

@anon33247966 - is there a variation by country of residence for fees that do not include postage charges, for example the £5 spare card fee, which applies to both a physical card or a virtual card?

I’m from Poland and my fee for physical card is 24 PLN, not 9 PLN.
Why?

@erevos not trying to be mean, but it has nothing to do with discrimination. Every company is free to adapt their prices to the local market. If a country has a robust economy and high income why not charge more? If you don’t agree with their prices then you don’t have to use their product. I’m not crazy about spending 17 EUR on a burger in Zurich, but if Swiss people can afford it, hey why not?

OK, false alarm. I had virtual card in my wallet. When I’ve deleted it, it is in fact 10 PLN