SWITZERLAND - Top-up -- with TW, and directly to a pooled Revolut account

@zegorax
…i beat you for a few seconds :wink: but thanks for linking the french news :slight_smile:

As far as I understood, topping up with the green TW-Card is still an option, just sending money directly (from account to account) now costs…

Well. I hope the the Card-Conditions don’t worsen.

Oh you’re right ! Paying with the card should be okay.

Thanks for noticing it for me :slight_smile:

AFAIK the fees will be introduced from dec 1st?!

Here’s the full text.

Hello,
We’re adding a small fixed fee of around 0.80 € to send money.

From 1st December, there will be a small fixed fee to send money from your borderless account, to another bank account.

The total fee will depend on whether you’re sending from one currency to another, or transfering money in a single currency. Here’s how that works:

To send money from one currency to another, you’ll pay the usual conversion fee, plus the small, fixed fee.
For instance, if you’re sending money from your GBP balance to a bank account in EUR, you’ll pay the 0.35% conversion fee, plus 0.80 €. The fixed fee varies by currency, you can find the full list here.

To send money in one currency you’ll only pay the small, fixed fee.
For instance, if you’re sending money from your EUR balance to a bank account in EUR, you’ll only pay 0.80 €.

There’s no change to fees to convert money within your account.
When you convert currencies between balances in your account you’ll only pay the conversion fee.

Why has this happened?
Every time you send money to another bank account, TransferWise pays fees to third-party providers, and covers other costs. A while ago, we made it free, believing we could cover these fees ourself. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, it’s too expensive to maintain.

We’re disappointed we’ve had to change this fee, and we’re working on a plan to reduce it in the future. As soon as we have an update, we’ll be back in touch.

Thanks,
The TransferWise Team

The TW fee is reasonable for a transfer.
And Revolut topups by green card stay free, as well as outgoing Revolut EUR SEPA transfers.

This might be a problem for people doing a lot of small transfers, but an average Revolut user using TW as a top-up option from a Swiss account will be fine :slight_smile:

Just as a heads up for people using UBS, a few days ago I transfered 2k from UBS to Revolut in CHF with the BEN option and only 1995 arrived - so the 5 CHF fee from UBS now applies to the beneficiary. A month or so ago this was not the case, now it seems it is.

Still 5chf is pretty cheap comparing to other transfer methods

SWITZERLAND - Top-up --> working method = TW, and direct to shared Rev account

Unfortunately I cannot edit the original post anymore, but I was able to change the title.

• Topping-up Revolut with a green TW card (as described in the first post) is still free
  • UBS bank transfer in CHF, with BEN option, apparently is not free anymore

Are you sure it’s not because you transferred CHF ? I did a CHF transfer and the same thing happened. Revolut told me it’s because it was SWIFT and not SEPA.
I did an Euro trnasfer the other week and I d not know as of know whether I got charged 5 CHF too - the full amount got transferred to my Revolut account…

Has anyone tried topping up with the UBS Prepaid Card (also MC or Visa, but not sure if Credit or Debit Card)? Does it have the same fees as a regular credit card?

Yes it is because of SWIFT which is used to send CHF internationally. It’s just that with BEN option there used to be no fees even though the tooltip said 5CHF would be deducted.
Sending EUR from a CHF account results in a conversion on the sender’s bank which applies unfavourable exchange rates people want to avoid with Revolut.

Yes, it is because it was SWIFT. But SEPA is useless, with SEPA it’s UBS that does the CHF to Euro conversion for you at a bad rate. It’s only useful if you have the Euros already, but then why bother…

because Swiss banks often also apply fees for paying abroad no matter the currency charged

True. Even the CHF charge for my Spotify Premium (with my UBS credit card) has a fee of 1.75% which is a complete fraud IMHO…

PostFinance cards (credit and prepaid debit) don’t charge these fees, but still Revolut charges for using them for top-ups cause they are not EEA issued.

As a matter of facts, oppositely to previous months when no charges applied, CHF 5 were deducted from a CHF 1000 Swift transfer (BEN option) with UBS. The CHF 5 fee has not appeared in the UBS monthly statement (so I assume that the beneficiary bank is responsible for the charge).

Hi there,

I encounter an issue with top up in CHF and wanted to know if anyone here had the same issue before.
I have a mastercard in CHF but when I want to top up with, it is recognized as a Euro card?
I sent a message to a live agent but no answer so far.
Anyone here with experienced the same issue?

cheers,

Hi @pkuad
If you mean this:

It is a common thing if your card is issued abroad (for example TransferWise).
If you are sure that the specific card you are trying to use is multi-currency, it is fine to choose “Yes, continue”, and the card should be charged in CHF.

I’ve got yesterday my Card. And top up with my Cumulus MasterCard 200 CHF via Google Pay. Revolut charged me a fee of 3.68CHF. Last time the 10CHF were free, they were but Cembra has a few of 1.5%, 0.15CHF. It was charged yesterday, and so I didn’t see it. Now there will be too a from Cembra. So in total I have a fee of 6.73 CHF for topping up 200 CHF.

I didn’t recommend it and will wait now until a Swiss IBAN is available. It could be also an unpersonal one where a reference number is needed. And I miss Google Pay for my Maestro too.

I did (as you sure all did) receive yesterday an email from Revolut asking to advertise the card to my friends and acquaintances, the first card being free this week. However, as long as the issue discussed in this thread is not solved, I can hardly recommend Revolut to a swiss based individual.

We REALLY need the Swiss IBAN (pooled one is OK too) now, not “soon”.

I can confirm that. Transferred CHF 2000 yesterday, CHF1995 arrived at my Revolut CHF account.